Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Basho Talk - Aki 2015 +++ Spoiler alert! +++

It's not like it's "the" shukun-sho that's up for grabs...there's precedent for awarding two prizes when more than one rikishi did something exceptional.

• Like 1

True... I was just thinking along the lines of Tochiozan beating an ozeki, even an undefeated one, shouldn't merit Yoshikaze being excluded from the award. But, of course, multiple awards could be considered appropriate.

Strange falls always catch my eye. Sadanoumi... What happened there?

I'm pretty sure Yoshikaze has the Shukun-sho wrapped up and would be shocked if he didn't take it. I mean, the man defeated 2-Yokozuna, 2-Ozeki, 2-Sekiwake and 1-Komusubi. I mean, if that's not enough, WTF is?

If Tochinoshin did it, he would receive a stern warning.

• Like 11

This basho should have a one-off award, the "WWE Spirit" for Osunaarashi :-D

He should receive one, just for his efforts giving Okinoumi the Rock Bottom.

Edited by Domichi
  • Like 2

I expected a few ii-advised zabuton after Tochiozan's upset against Terunofuji... ;-)

I'll be honest, I was expecting a few to go flying as well.

I will be paying attention to Osunaarashi vs Ichinojo. not to mention a TON of other matches to watch closely. I have this feeling Goeido will play spoiler to Kakuryu.

Off topic now, just wondering: When did they add the previous electric kimarite display? I don't recall seeing it before. They don't have one in the Aichitaiikukan in Nagoya, do they? Or did they add one recently? I always thought that was half of the fun while scoring on your daily torikumi, asking around or being able to provide the answer when people didn't catch the kimarite announcement after the bout.

It's always been there, at the KKan at least, AFAIK.

The Asashi article mentions the start of the predecessor of this electric scoreboard as May 1958 in the Kuramae kokugikan, but not if it had a kimarite display.

I'm pretty certain that the LED kimarite display was from this basho; I even asked around about this, and the consensus was that it was installed this basho. I agree that it kind of ruins the fun about asking around for the kimarite. If they are going to break this tradition, they could at least turn on the LED and display the winner for pre sekitori matches (I know, not gonna happen).

I'm 100% sure there always was a kimarite display, at least for the last couple of years. It was changed this basho to LED and was enlarged, but it definitely positively was there, albeit in a smaller format with different font and lighting.. It was always shown in close up on TV whenever a rare kimarite popped up..

Is there any chance to Yosikaze promotes to sekiwake missing the komusuby rank?

This is only possible if three out of the four junior sanyaku end up makekoshi and I don't see that happen as the Tochis only need one more win and they're facing mid-maegashira tomorrow..

Today Goeido looked like he realized there was a match going on before the tachi-ai. Ah well, it's a start.

• Like 1

I'm sure most of you probably don't care at all about this, but I noticed for Day 13 a match between an 0-6 rikishi and a 1-5 rikishi in Sandanme. Normally a mismatch in records gets taken care of in Jonokuchi, and there's easily a 1-5 guy there who hasn't faced an 0-6 guy (a whole bunch actually, since so many came back for the last Round as their only bout). Looking at the intervening 0-6s, there doesn't seem to be anything that would require matches way too far apart in rank unless Sd13 is just too high to face Sd62. That's the only reason I can see for it, but such a wide gap doesn't appear abnormal for matches between 0-6s. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

Looking at the intervening 0-6s, there doesn't seem to be anything that would require matches way too far apart in rank unless Sd13 is just too high to face Sd62. That's the only reason I can see for it, but such a wide gap doesn't appear abnormal for matches between 0-6s.

I think it's just that. They needed to insert a 1-5 guy somewhere anyway as there's an odd number of zero-winners, and this way worked better than Sd13-Sd62, Sd78-Jd29, Jd69-Jk7 etc..

Congrats to Kyokutaisei for his first juryo kachikoshi! (Applauding...)

That mango sorbet mawashi always has me running for the freezer.

• Like 6

Toyohibiki's inability to finish things off appears to extend to entire yusho races.

And Kagayaki just might be the only sekitori even worse than Osunaarashi at keeping his center of gravity low.

Congrats to Kyokutaisei for his first juryo kachikoshi! (Applauding...)

That mango sorbet mawashi always has me running for the freezer.

I envy you for achieving a lifestyle that enables you to habitually find mango sorbet in your freezer.

• Like 1

1000 man playoff in Makushita after Satou just lost.

It will be clear (8-man bracket?) if Asabenkei will win his bout.

I haven't watched juryo bouts at all this time, but is Kyokutaisei's sumo content better now? Last time when he made it into juryo briefly it was a weird mix of merry-go-round, tottari and pulldowns which obviously didn't bring him very far. If he has kachikoshi now already on day 13, is his style better?

If Terunofuji pulls out tomorrow with an injury and Kisenosato and Kakuryu are slated to fight as well, who will Kakuryu face on Day 15.

Ikioi looked good but Shin showed awesome balance and strength. Would be a damn shame if Fuji is injured but that buckle did not look good. I am honestly dumbfounded by what Goeido was trying to do with that weird taichi and then immediately hugging Kak's neck.

I hope Doitsuyama doesn't like his steak rare because it's overdone now.

• Like 2

Ikioi looked good but Shin showed awesome balance and strength. Would be a damn shame if Fuji is injured but that buckle did not look good. I am honestly dumbfounded by what Goeido was trying to do with that weird taichi and then immediately hugging Kak's neck.

Looked to me like Goeido was trying to pull off his signature kubinage. But Kakuryu was in the better position and denied it.