Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Wakanosato Retires (This time it's official)

The Kyokai has tweeted pictures from Wakanosato's retirement conference and also of him standing in the dohyoless Kokugikan with one of his tsukibito's. He has taken the toshiyori name "Nishiiwa." He had two memorable matches: the first was against Takanohana in the 1998 Aki basho. The other was against Kagayaki in the 2014 Kyushu basho. Kagayaki had served as his tsukibito for two years.

• Like 7

Otsukaresamasato!

Now let's see how long he can postpone his danpatsu-shiki... ;-)

While I have nothing to add here, I would like to thank him for the effort. He was one of the greatest I've seen, always fighting with spirit and respect. I wish him the best of luck and that he can bring up a few quality rikishi.

• Like 1

This makes me sad, not because he's my favourite or anything, but because he so clearly loved what he did and he's been forced against his will into giving it up. Happens to us all as we get older

Now who is left active of the veterans besides Aminishiki? It is sad to see Wakanosato go off the banzuke, but understandable.

Edited by orandashoho

I'm going to miss him. I don't have much of an eye for detecting whether a tachiai is particularly good or bad, but I always thought his was one of the most solid, at least in his prime years. A record 19 consecutive basho in the sanyaku ranks speaks to his consistency at that time.

Wakanosato was the last active rikishi with a kinboshi won from Yokozuna Wakanohana III, in the 1998 Kyushu basho. 45 basho passed until Wakanosato won his second and last kinboshi from Asashoryu, putting him in second place on the list of most basho between kinboshi wins. The record is held by another former Sekiwake, Kirinji, who took 47 basho between his fifth and sixth kinboshi wins.

Aminishiki is the last active rikishi with kinboshi won from Takanohana and Musashimaru. All of the others in circulation have been won from the Mongolians.

Kyokuhikari is the last remaining rikishi from the huge class of 160 who entered ozumo in March 1992.

VNnQXkQU.jpg

KDgQdOEf.jpg

• Like 12

A fond goodbye for the man. He was not one of the all-time greats, but still managed to have the best career he could have (and a more than solid one at that), and earned a lot of respect from everyone. He'll be missed for the genuine love for sumo that he represented, and I certainly hope that Nishiiwa-oyakata will keep that love for the sport and pass it along.

Now who is left active of the veterans besides Aminishiki? It is sad to see Wakanosato go off the banzuke, but understandable.

Takekaze, Asasekiryu.

A bit younger would be Kitataiki, Kotoshoghiku, Shotenro & Harumafuji.

He was not one of the all-time greats, but still managed to have the best career he could have (and a more than solid one at that), and earned a lot of respect from everyone.

It is true he was not an 'all-time great' but is he one of the all-time great Sekiwakes. Seventeen tournaments at Sekiwake has got to rank him pretty high up on the Sekiwake list. After a search he is third all-time in the current six tournament schedule with rikishi that never made it to ozeki.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi&form1_rank=S

It was very classy of him to wait until after the Aomori-ken jungyo tour. Thanks to all for digging up some of his statistics and accomplishments.

45 basho passed until Wakanosato won his second and last kinboshi from Asashoryu, putting him in second place on the list of most basho between kinboshi wins.

And 70 basho between his first and his last Juryo Yusho must be a record.

• Like 1

Thought this may be interesting. I'm so used to seeing Wakanosato (now Nishiiwa) in traditional clothing that seeing him in something more modern made me look twice at his face and this shirt...together. Looks good!

COMkfNiU8AAu07h.jpg

• Like 5

Are there retired sumotori who continue to wear traditional clothing, I wonder. Is continuation frowned upon? Is freedom of dress seen as a great boon? It might be quite expensive if you have to be refitted many times due to weight loss (unless you are Musashimaru)...

(I can't imagine Tenho in a suit, either)

Edited by orandashoho

Are there retired sumotori who continue to wear traditional clothing, I wonder. Is continuation frowned upon? Is freedom of dress seen as a great boon? It might be quite expensive if you have to be refitted many times due to weight loss (unless you are Musashimaru)...

I haven't checked lately, but it used to be expected, if not mandatory, for a new oyakata to order a suit from a good tailor. In this case, I suspect that wearing a pink shirt is more a matter of freedom to choose. I agree that this has been handled very well, including timing the announcement till after the jungyo had been to his home town area.

Orion

Funny you should say that, as I can't imagine either. Fresh off the press and looking VERY sharp...

CONkkdSUYAA5LKK.jpg

Edited by inhashi
  • Like 13

Funny you should say that, as I can't imagine either. Fresh off the press and looking VERY sharp...

CONkkdSUYAA5LKK.jpg

And on the left you can see an example of someone who didn't invest nearly enough in his suit

SCNR

And today in the Kokugikan both of the new oyakata were each sitting in a hanamichi on guard duty -- this time, of course, wearing the navy uniform top of the Kyokai. Does anybody the time Konishiki retired and did the same duty? He was such a star that the Kyokai had it put a guard on him to protect him from overzealous members of the public! (I did get a rather nice picture looking down from the staircase....)

Orion

Wakanosato's site for his intai-zumo isn't as detailed as Kyokutenho's: http://wakanosato.com/

Tickets are already on sale and the good seats (A) are cheaper than for Kyokutenho - the bad seats (C - and also masu C - and unreserved seats) are more expensive though. The pdf flyer: http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/ticket/event/wakanosato_intai_chirashi.pdf

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2