Sign in to follow this  
NWOBM

Help Please Identifying Picture

Hello All,

I hope this is acceptable for my first post. Though very much a novice I have been interested in Sumo for many years. I recently found the attached photograph languishing in a junk shop and fell in love with it. The seller could not tell me anything about it.

Can any forum members shed any light on the Rikishi involved, location, date etc? Or alternatively point me to somewhere I might find out?

I really would be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

post-5242-0-65437900-1437745280_thumb.jp

The rikishi on the left is yokozuna Haguroyama. On the right, I think it's yokozuna Azumafuji (or maybe Terukuni).

Edited by Tony

I could be wrong, but the arena structures in the background look different from what I've seen of the Kuramae Kokugikan in those old-time video reels. Perhaps that helps isolating the possible date for this.

That's what I thought, even without having your expertise.^^ It doesn't seem to fit Kuramae Kokugikan.

In the background there is a vertical advertisement banner. In the middle it says ウイスキー* aka 'Whiskey'. Right next to it some other related advertisement text is visibile, but not readable. Tried to figure out what it could be. 'Adjusting' contrast, etc... I couldn't work it out. Maybe someone can pin this down.

*The older spelling was ウヰスキー. Wonder if that does necessarily imply postwar times? One way to fix a terminus post quem?

Edited by torquato

What a great photo ... and great mystery to solve. The rikishi on the left has serious calf muscle! I was hoping to see a judge in the front row. Tell us more about the find. Was the junk shop in Japan? If so, what city?

I think it's the same venue as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-xJVjlGJoM

Gyoji is likely the same as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OnRTC28oH8

again, GREAT PHOTO!!!! and maybe the most interesting "first post" on this forum. hope you stick around on other discussions.

-shimodahito

Oh wow! Thank you so much for all your input. I haven't had time to take in all your suggestions yet, just logged in to see your replies, but I really am most grateful, not to mention gratified that others like it. It is a great, dynamic action shot.

As to the find - it was in a junk shop in Mysore, India of all places. The shopkeeper knew nothing about it other than that he had bought it with a job lot of furniture in Kolkata. Oh to know the original story behind how it came to be in Kolkata. I did my best to bargain but I know I paid too much for it as I think the shopkeeper could tell at once that I had to have it. It was quite large on its mounting board, couldn't fit in my suitcase, and I wasn't about to risk putting it in the hold on its own so I had some difficulty getting it through security and keeping it by my knees on the plane home. It survived though and is now being looked at by a photograph restorer to see if it can be moved from the badly water damaged mount and have the water damaged spots you can see removed. I don't think the hot and humid Kolkata climate did it much good. I will keep you posted on how I get on.

Once again thank you all for your suggestions and I will be doing some research now. And I look forward to future discussions.

• Like 1

Right next to it some other related advertisement text is visibile, but not readable. Tried to figure out what it could be. 'Adjusting' contrast, etc... I couldn't work it out. Maybe someone can pin this down.

オールド Old [something] Whiskey

Could it be Old Crow Whiskey which was one of the more popular US brands in the 1950's?

Interesting guess. But クロウ (Crow) seems to be to short for the remainder.

Could the OP scan this part in a higer resolution?

Interesting guess. But クロウ (Crow) seems to be to short for the remainder.

Could the OP scan this part in a higer resolution?

Does this help (two options)? If not I can try and get it rescanned at a higher resolution when I have the photo back from the restorers.

Many thanks again for your input.

post-5242-0-47089900-1437872445_thumb.jp

post-5242-0-03565500-1437872486_thumb.jp

I'm pretty sure it's not the Kuramae Kokugikan. Most of crowd seem to be wearing jackets too so it might be from the tournament held in Meji Jingu. November 11th 1947 Haguroyama -v- Azumafuji perhaps.

Would a whiskey advertisement been present there, though? (I have no idea at all.)

If it's really from that time period directly after the war it's going to be very hard to pin down...they used so many different provisional locations before moving to Kuramae in 1950 and the (old) Osaka Prefectural Gym in 1953.

Looks like オールドアイデアルウイスキー  old ideal whisky

Edited by Amanogawa
  • Like 1