Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Nagoya 2015 +++ Spoiler alert! +++

Oh and it seems like Tochinoshin missed his chance for sanyakuhood with that bit of bad banzuke luck, as I don't see him having a shot at it from a 1-5 score.

Last basho, Tochinoshin was 9-6. Guess what his record was after day 6.

• Like 3

On another note, to quote myself from two months ago:

Been wondering this since early in the basho - is it just me or does Toyonoshima look...not quite flabby, but less physically defined than he did only a short while ago? Doesn't seem to be in top shape right now.

Not the most auspicious start into the current tournament either.

Toyonoshima's shape is definitely worse than toast at the moment. Does age finally catch up with the former youngster?

• Like 1

Endo had his fingers curled around the mawashi, hanging on for dear life as Tokitenku had his toes curled around the tawara, hanging on for dear life. (Laughing...)

Do you mean Kotoyuki?

Oh and it seems like Tochinoshin missed his chance for sanyakuhood with that bit of bad banzuke luck, as I don't see him having a shot at it from a 1-5 score.

That's 6 matches against 6 Ozeki and Yokozuna. Only Terunofuji left. Ichinojo he's dominated, Tochiozan is in his stable, and he's probably the favorite against the Komusubi and whatever Maegashira he'll face. Can he win 7 of those? Well, I wouldn't put down even money on it, but I'd say he has at least a 20% chance, possibly more like 30%. And as noted, he did it last basho.

• Like 2

Pulling out a tsuri-age in two consecutive matches, Teru is really looking to convince everyone that A) he deserves to be Ozeki, B) he won't have the weak debut commonly expected of one's first Ozeki basho. He's showing off his power and as long as he doesn't get too cocky with it it's going to keep serving him well.

Looking forward to the Day 7 match up of Terunofuji vs Goeido!

• Like 1

Speaking of being shot out of a cannon, I really miss Kotomitsuki.. That man fired out of a crouch faster than anyone.

But That's how you handle people like Tochinoshin.

And if this wasn't the best bout Kise has ever had, it was close to it. Recovered from a flabby henka, and finished the job. And what was Ichinojo thinking? A slow-motion henka is a ticket outtathere...

Terunofuji is beginning to look a lot like a cross between Hakuho and Baruto, with the best features of each. Throw in the meaness of Asa and you have the potential of The Next Big Thing.

Speaking of which, I miss the manic intensity of Asa. I really do. With HF out, all we have is ballet.

And the drinking contest is to see how long Gaga can keep upright before gravity trips him.

Late edit: They're starting the Ozeki vs Ozeki battles early, aren't they?

And this just in... There's nothing wrong with Hakuho. Yet.

Edited by Treblemaker
  • Like 1

Speaking of being shot out of a cannon, I really miss Kotomitsuki.. That man fired out of a crouch faster than anyone.

How thrilling it would be to

again...**sigh**
  • Like 6

Late edit: They're starting the Ozeki vs Ozeki battles early, aren't they?

It is quite early for them to have Ozeki fights. There's no real need to have them week 1, but it might be a product of having Harumafuji withdraw early and a desire to change their schedule as little as possible; they seem to like to just shuffle things around until they make sense again instead of just redoing everything. In Kyushu 2012, Baruto withdrew after day 2 when there were 7 total Ozeki/Yokozuna, and they ended up having an Ozeki match on Day *6*. Kyushu 2000 also had one that early, but that was more likely due to the 8 Ozeki/Yokozuna and the fact 4 of them were from Musashigawa.

Edited by Gurowake

How thrilling it would be to

again...**sigh**

Kotomitsuki is one of the few Japanese rikishi who do the "hip-shake" a la Hakuho to break the opponent's grip on mawashi. It's very effective, but not many do it, guess you'll also need a lot of lower-body strength for it to work well.

• Like 1

It is quite early for them to have Ozeki fights. There's no real need to have them week 1, but it might be a product of having Harumafuji withdraw early and a desire to change their schedule as little as possible; they seem to like to just shuffle things around until they make sense again instead of just redoing everything.

It's hard to say if it's intentional or indeed just a remnant of the original 11-sanyaku schedule, but if this ends up as one ozeki-ozeki matchup each on Days 7-10, followed by Hakuho/Kakuryu facing the four ozeki on Days 11-14, it's going to end up more sensible than what they usually produce.

But mostly I'm hoping that they at least swap Terunofuji and Goeido, and have Terunofuji face the two yokozuna late rather than early...

moved from trivia bits. thought it would be more appropriate here...

Rikishi of Foreign Shusshin for Nagoya 2015 Banzuke

(excludes Japan natives)

1 Brazil: Kaisei

1 Bulgaria: Aoiyama

1 Canada: Homarenishiki

2 China: Sokokurai, Kosei

1 Egypt: Osunaarashi

2 Georgia: Tochinoshin, Gagamaru

1 Hungary: Masutoo

1 Korea: Shiroryu

2 Russia: Amuru, Orora

1 USA: Musashikuni

26 Mongolia: Hakuho, Harumafuji, Kakuryu, Terunofuji, Ichinojo, Kyokushuho, Tamawashi, Tokitenku, Kyokutenho, Kagamio, Seiro, Takanoiwa, Asasekiryu, Arawashi, Shotenro, Sakigake, Azumaryu, Daishoho, Chiyoshoma, Gochozan, Ryuonami, Takakasuga, Aratoshi, Daionami, Sadahikari, Kiribayama

39 foreign born rikishi total for Nagoya 2015

22 in the top two divisions

• Like 2

Ura has kachi-koshi already, 11 wins and no losses so far in his career (and no in mae-zumo as well).

Also the jonidan yusho? - Asayamabana and Daiki are 4-0 as well.

This basho Asakanai looks very promising, maybe he profited from Asayamabana giving training advice in the heya?

I like his sumo, another one on my list of favorite rikishi.

Even more spectacular would be if the jonokuchi yusho goes to Urutora, he has kachi-koshi as well.

• Like 1

Seiro did an echo-bark to Kotoyuki's, but lost.

Aoi just buried any chance Kise had as he assisted him to his ring side seat. Can't feel bad for Geeku getting henka'ed when he makes it so easy. Goeido actually looked like an ozeki today as I thought Fuji would just maul him. Nice to see Kak keep pace in just his 1st basho back.

Can't feel bad for Geeku getting henka'ed when he makes it so easy.

I like Kotoshogiku and would be happy to see him save his rank, but that was not an unsporting henka that ruins the match. That was the obvious move to make when someone charges at you like that. He has to get his position fast to start his bump-drive, but this is not the way.

Edited by Kotogouryuu
  • Like 1

A.... Can't feel bad for Geeku getting henka'ed when he makes it so easy. ....

for me the henka of takayasu was just a reaction to the early start of kotoshogiku and not planned from the beginning as he just made a sidestep and no movement towards a hatakikomi

• Like 1

As one of the few Goeido fans on the forum, I can't pass up the opportunity to post today. If Terunofuji pulls out the yusho, perhaps a special prize(?). For now I'd be happy to see that elusive ninth win as Ozeki.

Go-eido!

• Like 1

As one of the few Goeido fans on the forum, I can't pass up the opportunity to post today. If Terunofuji pulls out the yusho, perhaps a special prize(?). For now I'd be happy to see that elusive ninth win as Ozeki.

Go-eido!

I still have Goeido quite high on my personal favorites list as well. :-)

Go-eido!

I've always liked Goeido. The issue, I think, is that he hasn't made the mental adjustment. Today was vintage Goeido.

On the whole, the Ozeki group seems ("seems"), to be capable of doing their job, but again, Kise follows one great bout with a stinker, and Geeku is so highly henka-prone, it's amazing that he isn't "bait-switched" more often.

A.... Can't feel bad for Geeku getting henka'ed when he makes it so easy. ....

for me the henka of takayasu was just a reaction to the early start of kotoshogiku and not planned from the beginning as he just made a sidestep and no movement towards a hatakikomi

Well, he says the opposite, as you can read on the rikishi talk thread..

As one of the few Goeido fans on the forum, I can't pass up the opportunity to post today. If Terunofuji pulls out the yusho, perhaps a special prize(?).

I suppose it's possible the sansho committee will conclude that Goeido is not a real ozeki anyway and thus eligible for the prizes...
  • Like 10

How thrilling it would be to see something like this again...**sigh**
That was insane.

Great wins for two of my favourites Aoiyama and Goeido today, so quite happy. Kakuryu looks the best he's ever looked as a yokozuna.