Gurowake

Trivia bits

On 11/04/2018 at 00:02, Sakura said:

Sorry if this has been done before. I couldn't find it anywhere.

I've been intrigued by W-L-A results that are palindromes. I restricted my search to sekitori during the 15 days per basho era and have come up with the following

2-11-2 - 9 instances. Most recently Juzan in 2003. A mixture of mid-basho absence and withdrawing on Day 13. 

3-9-3 - 19 instances. Most recently, Aminishiki in January 2018. More mid basho absences than one might imagine.

4-7-4 - 18 instances. Most recently, Sotairyu in 2015. Intriguingly, Kotoyutaka had a fusen loss on Day 9, then returned on Day 14 and got a win, by fusen.

5-5-5 - 11 instances. Most recently, Kyokushuho in 2013. 6 Yokozuna results in this one, including 2 by Asashoryu. 

6-3-6 - 6 instances. Most recently, Aoiyama in 2012. 

7-1-7 - 0 instances. 

The above palindromic W-L-A records have been updated (not in the original which was set to end in 2018). Since the last post we have an extra 3-9-3 by Endo in Aki 2020.

4-7-4 by Azumaryu in last basho's COVID interuptions.

5-5-5. The one that promted the requery. I noticed that Terunofuji is about to end 5-5-5, but Endo also managed it in Haru this year.

A 6-3-6 was also produced last basho. This time by Ichiyamamoto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

I wish I had been there to see the legendary bout that settled the Triangle Bragging Rights.(Firstprize...)

Wakakusa went 6-0-1d in the end, losing out on the yusho despite being undefeated!

Two brothers in the sanyaku sorio-bumi togehther (Wakatakakage and Wakamotoharu). I guess it has been a while since that last happened… maybe with two other Waka-Taka brothers…

edit: Hatsu 1999

Edited by Faustonowaka

Wakatakakage and Wakamotoharu are Tamawashi's only two losses this basho.

2 hours ago, shimodahito said:

FYI, Tamawashi-Sokokurai 6-4 career record, so no bad blood there.:-)

7 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:
2 hours ago, shimodahito said:

FYI, Tamawashi-Sokokurai 6-4 career record, so no bad blood there.:-)

Both Ōnami brothers proved more resilient to the nodowa than everyone else. Is that Sōkokurai's secret sauce?

• Like 1

Aki 2022 was the first time since Hatsu 2018 (coincidentaly, Tochinoshin's maiden Yusho) that Kasugano stable had 4 sekitori.

With the almost certain demotion of Tochimaru back to Makushita, I theorize that it will be a long while until Kasugano gets 4 sekitori again, not even counting that both Tochinoshin and Aoiyama may be looking at retirement in the not-so distant future...

1 hour ago, Kaitetsu said:

Aki 2022 was the first time since Hatsu 2018 (coincidentaly, Tochinoshin's maiden Yusho) that Kasugano stable had 4 sekitori.

With the almost certain demotion of Tochimaru back to Makushita, I theorize that it will be a long while until Kasugano gets 4 sekitori again, not even counting that both Tochinoshin and Aoiyama may be looking at retirement in the not-so distant future...

This seems like a dangerous bet with Tsukahara threatening to get to Juryo pretty soon.

I forgot to post this in the basho thread at the time - Takayasu had the second-longest wait between kinboshi, with his fifth coming 46 basho after the fourth. That's one basho short of the record held by Kirinji.

Rikishi		Basho	Prev. Kinboshi	Next Kinboshi

1)	Kirinji		47	1980 Nagoya	1988 Natsu
2)	Takayasu	46	2014 Kyushu	2022 Aki
3)	Wakanosato	45	1998 Kyushu	2006 Natsu
4)	Daizen		42	1994 Kyushu	2001 Kyushu
5)	Onishiki	41	1974 Kyushu	1981 Aki
6)	Aminishiki	39	2009 Natsu	2016 Hatsu
7)	Jingaku		38	1984 Aki	1991 Hatsu
8)	Dewanohana	36	1979 Aki	1985 Aki
=)	Akinoshima	36	1993 Nagoya	1999 Nagoya
10)	Arase		35	1974 Haru	1980 Hatsu

Dropping out of the top ten:

Nayoroiwa	33	1938 Hatsu	1952 Aki
	Wakachichibu	33	1959 Hatsu	1964 Nagoya
	Tochinowaka	33	1991 Nagoya	1997 Hatsu
	Myogiryu	33	2013 Natsu	2018 Kyushu

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Off-topic trivia quiz: What is the/a Musashimaru disaster dic.nicovideo.jp/a/武蔵丸の悲劇?

It has now made it to trend-word because the fans of the TV Tokyo anime SPY×FAMILY yesterday suffered a similar fate due to the broadcast extension of the table tennis word championships: the show was delayed and the timer for the video recording went astray: the end of the show was missing for those who hadn't adjusted it o

The original 3/21 incident was day 10 of the Haru basho 2000, the sumo broadcast on NHK was extended for 4 minutes and the bout shown in those minutes was Musashimaru-Takanonami: The final episode of the anime Cardcaptor Sakura on BS-2 was affected - many fans hadn't recorded the end and the talk afterwards, instead they first saw Musashimaru. https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8944541?via=thumb_watch&at=title&state=unplayed&ref=www.slangeigo.com

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Off-topic trivia quiz: What is the/a Musashimaru disaster dic.nicovideo.jp/a/武蔵丸の悲劇?

It has now made it to trend-word because the fans of the TV Tokyo anime SPY×FAMILY yesterday suffered a similar fate due to the broadcast extension of the table tennis word championships: the show was delayed and the timer for the video recording went astray: the end of the show was missing for those who hadn't adjusted it o

The original 3/21 incident was day 10 of the Haru basho 2000, the sumo broadcast on NHK was extended for 4 minutes and the bout shown in those minutes was Musashimaru-Takanonami: The final episode of the anime Cardcaptor Sakura on BS-2 was affected - many fans hadn't recorded the end and the talk afterwards, instead they first saw Musashimaru. https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8944541?via=thumb_watch&at=title&state=unplayed&ref=www.slangeigo.com

Heidi Bowl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

On 26/09/2022 at 15:35, Doitsuyama said:
On 26/09/2022 at 13:50, Kaitetsu said:

This seems like a dangerous bet with Tsukahara threatening to get to Juryo pretty soon.

...and don't forget Tochikamiyama. He looks a bright prospect to make sekitori in the next year or so.

If someone other than the five guys who got the yusho this year gets it in Kyushu; it will be the third time that six different rikishi get the yusho in a calendar year since the advent of the six basho year in 1958. It happened in 1972 and 1991 . It also happened in 2020, but there was no basho in May.

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, this is the first time that the "Christmas tree" banzuke pattern of 1 Y, 2 O, 3 S and 4 K has ever happened.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reonito said:

As far as I can tell, this is the first time that the "Christmas tree" banzuke pattern of 1 Y, 2 O, 3 S and 4 K has ever happened.

On the fourth day of Christmas the shimpan sent to me

Four komusubi, three sekiwake, two wobbly ōzeki and a yokozuna with a bum knee~

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) 

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 6
  • Haha 7

Also, Mitakeumi is now in sole possession of 7th place for most sekiwake appearances with 18 (7 shy of #1 Tamagaki), and 6th place for lower sanyaku appearances, with 28 (6 shy of #1 Kotonishiki).

The Nishonoseki twins Hayashiryu and Rinko have now competed in 3 tournaments and produced 3 identical records, holding neighbouring ranks for 4 banzuke.

Hayashiryu Ryu
2022.03 Bg   0-0   171 cm 129 kg
2022.05 Jk17e hoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gif 4-3    
2022.07 Jd84w hoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gif 6-1    
2022.09 Jd10w hoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gif 4-3    
2022.11 Sd80w   0-0    
Rinko Yoshikazu
2022.03 Bg   0-0   172 cm 118 kg
2022.05 Jk17w hoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gif 4-3    
2022.07 Jd85e hoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gif 6-1    
2022.09 Jd11e hoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gifhoshi_shiro.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_yasumi.gifhoshi_kuro.gif 4-3    
2022.11 Sd81e   0-0    

2 hours ago, Yarimotsu said:

The Nishonoseki twins Hayashiryu and Rinko have now competed in 3 tournaments and produced 3 identical records, holding neighbouring ranks for 4 banzuke.

Well, let's hope they keep it up to makuuchi, then it's easier to play GTB (Laughing...)

• Haha 1

If only Rinko would put on some weight (10 or 12kg) so that they could be 1cm and 1kg apart.

3 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

This is only the second time that all makuuchi rikishi have a loss after day 4. The only other time was Kyushu 1969 and there were only 34 makuuchi rikishi back then.

And only one kyujo.  A somewhat dubious achievement, perhaps.  The good news is that many options are still open , and we can start moving some scenarios over from Ridiculous Predictions to the basho thread.  Personally, I'd like to see a playoff between Ichiyamamoto and Abi, to see if they set a Guiness World's tsuppari record.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

This is only the second time that all makuuchi rikishi have a loss after day 4. The only other time was Kyushu 1969 and there were only 34 makuuchi rikishi back then.

...and yet there's a 4-0 rikishi on the day 5 makuuchi torikumi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today, Asanoyama defeated Tokushoryu in a Juryo bout. This is the first time that two winners of the Emperor's Cup have faced off in Juryo.

After an inefficient but hopefully thorough search, I have determined that the only Makuuchi winners who subsequently dropped to lower divisions were Wakanami (Yusho in 1968, J in 1969), Tagaryu (Yusho in 1984, J in 1988-91), Kotofuji (Yusho in 1991, J in 1994-5), Mitoizumi (Yusho in 1992, J in 1999-2000), Takatoriki (Yusho in 2000, J in 2001-2), Terunofuji (Yusho in 2017, J and lower 2018-2020), Tokushoryu (Yusho in 2020, J in 2021-22) and Asanoyama (Yusho in 2019, J and lower in 2022). EDIT: As Asashosakari pointed out, Bishuyama (1955), Takamiyama (1984) and Kotonishiki (2000) also competed in a juryo tournament before retiring and there are others who dropped but did not compete.

Nagoya and Kyushu 2000 are therefore the only other tournament where two former Emperor's Cup winners competed on the Juryo torikumi - Kotonishiki at J1 in both did not face Mitoizumi, who competed at J7 and J11.

Edited by Yarimotsu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

Today, Asanoyama defeated Tokushoryu in a Juryo bout. This is the first time that two winners of the Emperor's Cup have faced off in Juryo.

After an inefficient but hopefully thorough search, I have determined that the only Makuuchi winners who subsequently dropped to lower divisions were Wakanami (Yusho in 1968, J in 1969), Tagaryu (Yusho in 1984, J in 1988-91), Kotofuji (Yusho in 1991, J in 1994-5), Mitoizumi (Yusho in 1992, J in 1999-2000), Terunofuji (Yusho in 2017, J and lower 2018-2020), Tokushoryu (Yusho in 2020, J in 2021-22) and Asanoyama (Yusho in 2019, J and lower in 2022).

This is therefore the first time that two former Emperor's Cup winners competed in lower divisions at the same time and the first time such a matchup could occur.

I do believe that list is short of a few names.

• Like 3