Gurowake

Trivia bits

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

It's become hard to put up big numbers in this era of little cross-divisional match-making, anyway

Yeah, I seem to recall when I first started watching that it was fairly normal for near the end of the tournament to always do one extra set of cross-division matches.  Then suddenly, I'm guessing after a change of personnel, they decided they would only do the absolute minimum required, which for that tournament worked out to 1 match on two days.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tamawashi's kinboshi on day 6 has prompted me to make this thing. It's a list of maegashira who beat one yokozuna three in a row in their head to head bouts, thus earning kinboshi:

Yamanishiki vs Miyagiyama
Tatekabuto vs Minanogawa
Kotonishiki vs Chiyonoyama
Narutoumi vs Kagamisato
Daigo vs Tochinoumi
Tamawashi vs Terunofuji

Here is the query I used.

Edited by Chiyotasuke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chiyotasuke said:

Tamawashi's kinboshi on day 6 has prompted me to make this thing. It's a list of maegashira who beat one yokozuna three in a row, thus earning kinboshi:

Yamanishiki vs Miyagiyama
Tatekabuto vs Minanogawa
Kotonishiki vs Chiyonoyama
Narutoumi vs Kagamisato
Daigo vs Tochinoumi
Tamawashi vs Terunofuji

Here is the query I used.


Kotonishiki did win a kinboshi in three consecutive basho, but the first was not against Chiyonoyama who was absent in 1953 Natsu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:


Kotonishiki did win a kinboshi in three consecutive basho, but the first was not against Chiyonoyama who was absent in 1953 Natsu.

My focus was not on 3 consecutive basho, but only 3 in a row in their head to head bouts. I should make that clear in my original post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honourable mentions to three kinboshi in longer winning streaks by:

- Takamiyama vs Wajima (one fusensho as maegashira in between)
- Akinoshima vs Asahifuji (one win and one fusensho as sanyaku in between)
- Tochinonada vs Wakanohana (one fusensho as maegashira in between)
Ichinojo vs Kisenosato (one win as sanyaku in between)
 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Ichinojo vs Kisenosato (one win as sanyaku in between)

vs the ghost of Kisenosato (who handed out a remarkable 18 kinboshi in 35 bouts after his injury)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reonito said:

vs the ghost of Kisenosato (who handed out a remarkable 18 kinboshi in 35 bouts after his injury)

9 of those rikishi are still active: Endo, Tochinoshin, Tamawashi, Takakeisho, Hokutofuji (2), Ichinojo (3), Takarafuji, Chiyotairyu, Miyogiryu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: plucking kinboshi from Kisenosato

Shed a tear for Chiyonokuni (11/2017), Chiyotairyu (1/2018), Tamawashi (11/2018) and Nishikigi (1/2019); they were set to cash in a kinboshi and harvest that megapile of kensho but instead settled for a fusen win.  Nishikigi was the last to get a win over Kisenosato; Tochiozan won by yorikiri the day before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Re: plucking kinboshi from Kisenosato

Shed a tear for Chiyonokuni (11/2017), Chiyotairyu (1/2018), Tamawashi (11/2018) and Nishikigi (1/2019); they were set to cash in a kinboshi and harvest that megapile of kensho but instead settled for a fusen win.  Nishikigi was the last to get a win over Kisenosato; Tochiozan won by yorikiri the day before.

Of that lot I doubt Tamawashi is crying too hard. He and Daieishō have now got their own kinboshi pinata, if the last few basho are anything to go by.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2022 at 06:53, Reonito said:

vs the ghost of Kisenosato (who handed out a remarkable 18 kinboshi in 35 bouts after his injury)

Forced to retire not by injury but by the Kyokai for costing them too much

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Briefly overheard on NHK today: 4 mono-iis in makuuchi. Is that close to the record for most mono-iis in a single day for makuuchi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitakeumi-Shodai was the first-ever match between two ozeki who entered the day with matching 5-7 records. Tomorrow's Mitakeumi-Takakeisho match will be the first-ever between two ozeki who entered the day with matching 6-7 records.

(In fact, no ozeki makekoshi playoffs have ever happened at 7-7 either.) 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

(In fact, no ozeki makekoshi playoffs have ever happened at 7-7 either.) 

That surprised me when I read it, but I guess they wouldn't subject the Ozeki to an unseemly Darwin Match®, is that it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:
3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

(In fact, no ozeki makekoshi playoffs have ever happened at 7-7 either.) 

That surprised me when I read it, but I guess they wouldn't subject the Ozeki to an unseemly Darwin Match®, is that it?

The closest I recall was making Tochinoshin fight for his ōzeki status against Takakeishō, who was clamouring for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The closest I recall was making Tochinoshin fight for his ōzeki status against Takakeishō, who was clamouring for it.

Only a handful of instances of two 7-7 ozeki going into day 15; I haven't examined them but entirely possible they couldn't be matched up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Only a handful of instances of two 7-7 ozeki going into day 15; I haven't examined them but entirely possible they couldn't be matched up.

In every single case except Tochihikari they had already fought. The closest in that search was Takanonami and Chiyotaikai on day 14 to leave them both 7-7.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

In every single case except Tochihikari they had already fought. The closest in that search was Takanonami and Chiyotaikai on day 14 to leave them both 7-7.

Tochihikari / Sadanoyama was an impossible matchup there, too. Ichimon betsu so atari system, so no matches between Kasugano and Dewanoumi rikishi. (Heya betsu didn't start until 1965, and it's evident in their head-to-head.)

There have been a few 7-7 matches involving ozeki on one side, all won by them. Terunofuji is the only one who was kadoban there. (Feels like a different time entirely...)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the lack of such bouts is consistent with a lack of opportunities, without any need to invoke the schedulers going out of their way to avoid them (presumably, if they were, we wouldn't see the current day 13/14 matchups).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and yet another novelty this basho: Kitanowaka vs. Kinbozan is the most disparate pairing since 1931.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

...and yet another novelty this basho: Kitanowaka vs. Kinbozan is the most disparate pairing since 1931.

Thank you. I startled when I got to that bout in Sekitoto, didn't expect to see another makushita rikishi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

...and yet another novelty this basho: Kitanowaka vs. Kinbozan is the most disparate pairing since 1931.

Nah, there's been much worse;-)

(Although that Haru 1979 stuff looks very wrong...)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I saw the west side perform the sanyaku soroibumi today - Mitakeumi, Shodai and Abi - I thought that it was an unusually sorry lot. None of them had reached kachikoshi and Abi then went on to lose his bout.

This is the first time* that a "soroibumi group" (i.e. three rikishi fighting the last bouts on senshuraku from either the east or the west side) all finish with a losing record.

*in the modern era

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Nah, there's been much worse;-)

(Although that Haru 1979 stuff looks very wrong...)

That 1979 stuff *must* have a story.... What is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

When I saw the west side perform the sanyaku soroibumi today - Mitakeumi, Shodai and Abi - I thought that it was an unusually sorry lot. None of them had reached kachikoshi and Abi then went on to lose his bout.

This is the first time* that a "soroibumi group" (i.e. three rikishi fighting the last bouts on senshuraku from either the east or the west side) all finish with a losing record.

*in the modern era

This is probably the closest, being just one win off: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=196303&d=15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

This is probably the closest, being just one win off: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=196303&d=15

There is also https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=197507&d=15, where none of the rikishi had cleared kachikoshi when the soroibumi was performed, but two of them won their bout to go 8-7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now