Gurowake

Trivia bits

Recommended Posts

On 25.11.2017 at 15:41, Doitsuyama said:

Here are all such instances:

Goeido in Aki 2007, days 14 and 15 (like Endo against Hakuho on day 14, and guess who Hakuho's day 15 opponent is tomorrow?)

Takanosato in Nagoya 1980, days 13 and 14

Futagodake in Haru 1974, days 12 and 13 (the other way around with the first bout on day 12 and the last bout on the next day)

Futagodake's is particularly special in that he even faced a juryo opponent in the early bout.

Endo has joined him now in losing both matchups. Goeido and Takanosato came back to win their low-ranked match after losing to the yokozuna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this basho we have a four-way jun-yuushou. I wonder what the record is? Had a look on sumodb, but couldn't figure out a query for this.

Side question: not only do four people have the jun-yuushou, but it's four maegashira wrestlers. It must be pretty rare in general to have a maegashira jun-yuushou, but four of them? That must be highly uncommon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

So this basho we have a four-way jun-yuushou. I wonder what the record is? Had a look on sumodb, but couldn't figure out a query for this.

Side question: not only do four people have the jun-yuushou, but it's four maegashira wrestlers. It must be pretty rare in general to have a maegashira jun-yuushou, but four of them? That must be highly uncommon.

And if Ichinojo had won on Day 15, there would have been a 5 way tie for jun-yusho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Senkoho said:

And just to add, it's indeed the first time in 15-day tournaments that four maegashira have been runners-up; the only prior case was in 11 days. (That one also had an ozeki in the mix to make it six total.)

Edit: Previous tournaments with 3 jun-yusho finishers and none of them from sanyaku: 1954.03 (12-3), 1957.03 (11-4), 2010.07 (11-4)

(Man, this basho had nothing on Nagoya 2010...)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Man, this basho had nothing on Nagoya 2010...

Really! Six maegashira going kyujo from the beginning, the only time that has happened (Never have five maegashira gone fully kyujo in a basho, and only 4 times since 1950 have four gone fully kyujo), plus Houmashou starting 10-0 and Aran finishing 10-0! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McBugger said:

Really! Six maegashira going kyujo from the beginning, the only time that has happened (Never have five maegashira gone fully kyujo in a basho, and only 4 times since 1950 have four gone fully kyujo), plus Houmashou starting 10-0 and Aran finishing 10-0! 

Don't forget the 5 kyujo Juryo rikishi as well. How did Iwakiyama avoid being demoted then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Don't forget the 5 kyujo Juryo rikishi as well. How did Iwakiyama avoid being demoted then?

He was actually injured, unlike the other 10 who were on suspension for their involvement in the illegal gambling scandal.

(And all that was not on TV because NHK refused to broadcast that tournament. For some perspective concerning current events...)

The best part is that most of the juryo guys who were lucky to be promoted to replace the suspended makuuchi rikishi after that basho turned out to be involved in the yaocho scandal only half a year later.

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

He was actually injured, unlike the other 10 who were on suspension for their involvement in the illegal gambling scandal.

 

And I presume that the next-in-line was Ms6w Yoshiazuma with his 4-3, too far away. Perhaps if J2 positions were swapped (Daido involved ahead of Iwakiyama not involved), both would have been demoted and the remote makushita guy promoted... Are they really supposed to take that in consideration during banzuke making process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed that the time between Harumafuji's intai (11/2017) and the previous Yokozuna intai (Asashoryu; 1/2010) measured in months or basho (not days, hours or nanoseconds) equals the previous longest spell between two Yokozunæ intai. Which was between Hokutoumi (5/1992) and fruitcake-Wakanohana (3/2000).

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

.... fruitcake-Wakanohana.

Even more so than his younger brother?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, we never met. The source of my estimation is a video (once linked to from here), in which he comes across as a mega-paranoid lunatic. I'm never shy to rest my case on a single exhibit if I can get a laugh...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Honestly, we never met. The source of my estimation is a video (once linked to from here), in which he comes across as a mega-paranoid lunatic. I'm never shy to rest my case on a single exhibit if I can get a laugh...

Was that the video where he said he could kill someone with his bare hands? Or am I spreading fake news....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the home visit video, where he shows all the weapons he keeps distributed at various places in his house, baseball bats, knuckle rings, the works. And the look, THE LOOK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yorikiried by fate said:

It was the home visit video, where he shows all the weapons he keeps distributed at various places in his house, baseball bats, knuckle rings, the works. And the look, THE LOOK!

Link, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/12/2017 at 17:24, yorikiried by fate said:

I just noticed that the time between Harumafuji's intai (11/2017) and the previous Yokozuna intai (Asashoryu; 1/2010) measured in months or basho (not days, hours or nanoseconds) equals the previous longest spell between two Yokozunæ intai. Which was between Hokutoumi (5/1992) and fruitcake-Wakanohana (3/2000).

Not really, in terms of months it might be ok, but not in terms of hon-basho

There was no Haru 2011 and Natsu 2011 was not a hon-basho but a technical examination

So Hokutoumi - Wakanohana is 47 basho (at least 46 and a half, as Wakanohana's intai occured during the tournament), and Asashoryu - Harumafuji is 45 basho and 1 tech. exam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/12/2017 at 17:24, yorikiried by fate said:

I just noticed that the time between Harumafuji's intai (11/2017) and the previous Yokozuna intai (Asashoryu; 1/2010) measured in months or basho (not days, hours or nanoseconds) equals the previous longest spell between two Yokozunæ intai. Which was between Hokutoumi (5/1992) and fruitcake-Wakanohana (3/2000).

Little calculation:
Harumafuji intai on 29th Nov 2017 - Asashoryu intai on 4th Feb 2010 = Gap of 2855 days

Wakanohana has 2-4 record for Haru 2000, so he likely declared intai on day 5 (16th March 2000), at most on day 6 (17th March 2000)
Hokutoumi has a 0-0-15 record for Natsu 1992, so he declared his intai between day 15 (24th May 1992) and banzuku-making commettee meeting on wednesday 27th May 1992

So the minimum gap is (27th May 1992 - 16th March 2000) of 2850 days and the maximal gap is (24th May 1992 - 17th March 2000) of 2854 days

It seems that we just saw the biggest gap between two yokozuna intai of the last 100 years

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

Hokutoumi has a 0-0-15 record for Natsu 1992, so he declared his intai between day 15 (24th May 1992) and banzuku-making commettee meeting on wednesday 27th May 1992

Hokutoumi retired the Friday before the tournament began. Not sure why it’s 0-0-15; it should really be 0-0. 

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/05/08/Wrestling-champ-retires-giving-American-shot-at-sumo-crown/7275705297600/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been 8 retirements plus 3 rikishi falling to banzuke-gai after Kyushu 2017, but 13 rikishi are moving up from maezumo, making Hatsu 2018 the first time in 14 years that a Hatsu banzuke will include more rikishi than the preceding one for Kyushu. 2003.11->2004.01 saw 7 intai, 4 to banzuke-gai and 13 maezumo entrants, also for a net change of +2.

Closest calls in between:

2014.11->2015.01: 7 intai, 2 Bg, 9 Mz (±0)
2006.11->2007.01: 8 intai, 6 Bg, 13 Mz (-1)
2004.11->2005.01: 10 intai, 1 Bg, 9 Mz (-2)

All other November->January passages during these 14 years saw a loss of at least 7 banzuke spots.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next basho's banzuke will almost certainly bring about an increase in the number of maegashira on the banzuke. This will stop an interesting streak: for the past 15 basho in a row (since 2015.07) there have been exactly 31 maegashira. The last time there was a longer streak of consecutive basho featuring the same number of maegashira was 1866.11-1874.03 (16 basho). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2017 at 00:55, ryafuji said:

Hokutoumi retired the Friday before the tournament began. Not sure why it’s 0-0-15; it should really be 0-0. 

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/05/08/Wrestling-champ-retires-giving-American-shot-at-sumo-crown/7275705297600/

Ok thank you,

So:

Harumafuji intai on 29th Nov 2017 - Asashoryu intai on 4th Feb 2010 = Gap of 2855 days

Wakanohana intai on 16th March 2000 - Hokutoumi intai on 8th May 1992 = Gap of 2869 days

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  On 26/05/2017 at 09:05, Asashosakari said:

Tamakongo has become the 33rd rikishi in history to follow up on a 7-0 record with an 0-7.

 

10 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Bump - two more this year with Mihamaumi and Matsuda.

Much rarer is the opposite

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_wins=0&form1_losses=7&form2_wins=7&form2_losses=0

A good candidate to join these five

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12268  (Laughing...)

 

chishafuwaku

Edited by chishafuwaku
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now