Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Sandanme tsukedashi to be established

The Kyokai rijikai convened today and have decided on some major changes. Any person finishing in the top 8 of the All-Japan Championships, All Japan Corporate championships, and the National Adults tournament (all amateur of course) will be eligible to start at the bottom of Sandanme as Sandanme tsukedashi. And get this-entrance age limit for that is now 25. This will be starting from this year's tournaments.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Kyokai rijikai convened today and have decided on some major changes. Any person finishing in the top 8 of the All-Japan Championships, All Japan Corporate championships, and the National Adults tournament (all amateur of course) will be eligible to start at the bottom of Sandanme as Sandanme tsukedashi. And get this-entrance age limit for that is now 25. This will be starting from this year's tournaments.

Is that top 8 of ALL three or ANY of the three? Edited by Asojima

Is that top 8 of ALL three or ANY of the three?

I think any. Doesn't clarify.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20150528/sum15052819150006-n1.html

.....And it is not even April the 1st. :-O

Edited by Kishinoyama
  • Like 5

Does this have the 1 yr. limit like Ms tsukedashi? Hoping there is no time limit other than the age limit. Great change as its kinda silly to have relatively successful college guys stomping on inexperienced kids

Edited by Mongolith
  • Like 1

Note that the age limit for makushita tsukedashi is also 25, so that part is not a significant development. Strange that the university championship is missing from the list of tournaments though. Almost seems like this is designed more for university grads who go into the workforce and then have second thoughts about Ozumo a little later, than for current university rikishi (although those will profit, too, via the All-Japan and Kokutai).

The most interesting part will indeed be if this is available without a time limit or carries the same one-year restriction.

BTW, I first read the header as "sandanme tsukebito to be established" and wondered what the heck that was supposed to mean...

Edited by Asashosakari

.....And is not even April the 1st. :-O

That was exactly what I thought when I read that post.

• Like 2

I don't think I ever had any serious dreams of doing ozumo, but for some reason being 26 and seeing the age limit at 25 just makes me feel the tiniest bit wistful.

• Like 1

... makes me feel the tiniest bit wistful.

I was once wistful. (Another year older...)

• Like 7

I don't think I ever had any serious dreams of doing ozumo, but for some reason being 26 and seeing the age limit at 25 just makes me feel the tiniest bit wistful.

I'm still 25 until December... Better start training (Lifting weights...)

(Seriously though, I'd be surprised if I could do any better than low Jd)

Edit- Never mind then

Edited by Onibushou

Just to be clear, the proposed age limit is under 25, just like the regular limit is under 23.

That's pretty exciting. Sandanme Tsukedashi. Has a ring to it. As glacially as the NSK changes (without massive external pressure) that's quite something. Can't wait to see the first ones.

Sandanme Tsukedashi might be nice to give to guys who normally have to start from Jonokuchi after a big injury. If they chose they could start at Sandanme instead. I am sure there are 5 reasons I haven't thought of why this is a bad idea. Just thinking out loud.

will be eligible to start at the bottom of Sandanme as Sandanme tsukedashi.

So then this will be an additional Sd rank between the usual Sd100 and Jd1 levels, similar to how Ms15TD is fit into the rankings between the usual Ms15 and Ms16 levels? Sd100TD?

Edited by Fukurou

Theoretically you would think that a win at a World Championships or even the less regular World Games or World Combat Games would have some merit but understandably they still regard the standard at International level to be well below the National standards.

Still its not a bad idea for some of them to be able to jump in a bit further up the pyramid and see how far they go before they burn out from their amasumo injuries like so many before.

Is that top 8 of ALL three or ANY of the three?

And is the gender of "this person finishing in the top 8" relevant? ;-)

Hey guys! 

Where should I start looking for a list of all the rikishi, who started as Sd TD? 
The NSK webpage says that Asanoyama is the first one, who started in Sd TD and reached Ozeki rank. Wondering who did he beat in the last 4-5 years... ? :) 

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Wakaebala said:

Where should I start looking for a list of all the rikishi, who started as Sd TD?

The search doesn't accept the TD and lacks a proper filter, but the rank is listed with it and all are in the query result http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&showhatsu=on&form2_rank=SD100&form2_year=2016-2099&form2_debutd=on

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1