Sign in to follow this  
Mukonoso

Sumo related pics from my trip

Just got back on Monday night from visiting my wife's family in Itami, Japan. Took a few pics related to sumo and found a tiny used book store with a box of vintage sumo magazines. They're still 300 yen apiece so I only bought two.

First pic though is of a chanko restaurant in the Sannomiya area of Kobe. Apparently run by former sumo Takatoriki. It's across the street from Tokyu Hands and thus very close to Ikuta shrine.

resized_3eb8d0e3-72f7-4c87-89e1-561b312b​

The sumo magazines. One from 1980 and the other from 1964

resized_7c4995d5-e544-4d4e-a272-e0070058​

• Like 3

Some restaurants in the Tennoji area of Osaka that give an appearance of being sumo related.

resized_f1621115-e955-4af1-99d4-647459c2resized_ec52807c-b2c6-4061-890a-57071b03â€resized_e4757a44-669d-4a1a-a434-75404d56​‹

• Like 4

In the middle restaurant picture, there's a face cut-out photo-op board showing presumably a yokozuna holding what looks like a gunbai. I'm quite confused. It also looks like he has "The Great Wave" on his kesho-mawashi; is that fairly common for a Yokozuna k-m seeing as it's a very famous work of art, or is there some particular yokozuna that's associated with that perhaps might explain the gunbai? Perhaps the writing might explain it, but I know practically no actual Japanese.

Edited by Gurowake

The restaurant itself is called "Yokozuna" and all the pictures of sumo wrestlers are just made-up wrestlers in ukiyo-e (Edo period wood print) style. The names of the dishes they sell are arranged like a banzuke on the outside of the restaurant.

Unfortunately we didn't stop at these restaurants. They were just on the way to the Tennoji Zoo where my brother-in-law is head of maintenance. After the zoo my daughter drug us to a maid cafe in Namba. I don't know if I was more embarrassed for myself or for the girls who worked there.

http://maidreamin.com/en/shop/osaka_nanba

After the zoo my daughter drug us to a maid cafe in Namba. I don't know if I was more embarrassed for myself or for the girls who worked there.

Japan really does have everything.... :-O

After the zoo my daughter drug us to a maid cafe in Namba. I don't know if I was more embarrassed for myself or for the girls who worked there.

Japan really does have everything.... :-O

They have tons of thems with different themes. I've been to two. They can be fun if you have the right waitress, but can also be a complete waste of money with the wrong one.

• Like 1

I would have preferred a more serious maid cafe like my daughter went to in Tokyo last year. They should dress in maid outfits and serve you very politely, but this one is Osaka they overacted on the cuteness and sugar and made sure to have the customer join in with embarrassing stuff like helping to cast magic spells on the food to make it taste better. One girl lip synced to a few songs with obsessive customers cheering her on with glow stick encouragement. One of the guys was like a frickin' Jedi master with a headband.

On a side note, while in the Kobe Chinatown we also saw a Owl Cafe with someone parading around a little owl on a skateboard with an umbrella. We didn't go in but judging by the video I feel a little sorry for the owls all tied up like this.