Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Homosexuality in Ozumo

Well, you know they say ~10% of population is homosexual. Apply it to sekitori... no reason why there shouldn't be at least one gay among them. Not that he'd admit it, or even practice it. (Applauding...)

Some reports have put up to half the male population of Tokyo as having 'tried' a homosexual experience.

This shocked some.

For me - if a guy is homosexual he is homosexual. Doesn't make him any less of a man (a very debateable word at the best of times)

Does it?

I went all over Scandinavia, Southern Europe and N.America and know a whole lot of potential pregnancies (Holiday feeling...) were left behind by the guys as a whole - (Applauding...) such is military life (former job) Does it make them more manly?

Stallone answer means nothing.

If he'd selected a popular female name in the female bit of the interview, you know the type most guys see as having a nice pair and a decent arse whilst commenting on her going like a bunny rabbit in spring does that make him more of a man? He's a shy kid in a foreign land - knows he's on the spot and that what he says will be reported. Give him a break before the reflex even starts.

Manekineko - juvenile assumption, insinuation or whatever - based on fresh air.

i am sure Manekineko was just making a joke .....

Actually, I was serious in supposing there must be at least one gay sekitori. I also suppose there must be at least one gay Forum member, one gay in Croatian national football team, etc etc. (please note that I use "gay" here as a handy shortcut for male of homosexual tendencies, not as an insult). I'm not saying Osh is the one because of the Stallone comment, tho'.

Manekineko - juvenile assumption, insinuation or whatever - based on fresh air.

Eh? Sorry, didn't understand that one. As I said, I didn't insinuate Osh is homosexual, nor did I claim homosexual men to be any less manly than heterosexual ones.

Hey guys!

What is this talk about being gay? Just because he did not say like Roho the name of some fake Japanese celebrity? I would say that Kotooshu has a good record with Japanese females for his two years in Japan, but he is also aware that everyone is watching him now and he does not want to make the image of a playboy. You know how everyone was so excited about his comment on Japanese women as "ii desu ne!" And Silvester Stalone is great, you do not have to be gay to admire him. Cheers to all the gays otherwise, I am sure many of them go to sumo to see the muscular guys' buttocks!

I remember now... Moto-Asashio ( current Takasago Oyakata ) once said

when asked if there ever could be a gay rikishi. He without a nanosecond

pause replied, "No, NEVER". Well the interviewer asked him ( half-jokingly ) kind of a risque question-something like, "Could it be a strategy that you'd whisper some mushy stuff into your opponent's ear, when you got into yotsu, and distract him?"

Takasago is a very upbeat, jokable fella but for this one, he just bluntly mashed that "fancy". He said "There is NO gay in Sumo-kai. You can't just win a bout if you're a gay" (An average pig...)

Just adding to this idea. Ian Roberts, One of the hardest and toughest forwards in Australian Rugby League is/was openly gay. There was a lot of speculation and he came out in his autobiography, which I think was released when he was still playing.

I haven't read it so I can't say how he was perceived (or felt he was perceived) by other players. Still, it doesn't mean that performance is hampered, or even necessarily an issue for fans or other competitors

Still, it doesn't mean that performance is hampered, or even necessarily an issue for fans or other competitors

Absolutely, absolutely absolutely BUT.......this is Japan where I can honestly put hand on heart and say I know of NO openly gay sports persons. Openness is the problem here and for the most part people believe as long as they can't see something - it just doesn't exist. :-|

Discussion about homosexuality in Ozumo Discussions! Right on!

I always believed homosexuality is for the rich people with time, money, and boredom. Has anyone heard of people being homosexual in the third world?

That's pretty ignorant (Just do not get it...)

to say the least....

I'd say there is homosexuality in almost every country, Third World included! It has nothing to do with time and money but rather sexual preference (not wanting to get into a debate as to whether it is nature or nurture that creates this preference).

The fact that a lot of the discourse surrounding homosexulaity is created and consumed in the First World, we cannot then think that it does not exist elsewhere.

(Aren't we straying a little off topic as this is now a general discussion rather than thinking about Osh's interview specifically? - Although I welcome replies and thoughtful discussion on this topic)

Aren't we straying a little off topic as this is now a general discussion rather than thinking about Osh's interview specifically?

We are, indeed. Oh boy, you're dropping a short comment on a wacky answer, and next thing you know, it has turned into a full-blown discussion about homosexuality in general.

Mod in action - split this thread from Osh's interview... Will keep it in Ozumo discussions if it doesn't deviate muchly from its new topic.

Guys, don`t you think you are a little to obsessed with Sumo? What kind of discussion is this??? I like Sumo but this is going to far. Please keep to the sport and the actions on the Dohyo. (Sigh...)

I like Sumo but this is going to far. Please keep to the sport and the actions on the Dohyo. (Sigh...)

With respect, this sub forum is "Ozumo Discussions" and so should include anything that is related to the world of professional sumo. A discussion about lifestyle of wrestlers, and the strictures of that lifestyle (ie., whether a gay rikishi could "come out") is entirely pertinent IMHO.

Guys, don`t you think you are a little to obsessed with Sumo? What kind of discussion is this??? I like Sumo but this is going to far. Please keep to the sport and the actions on the Dohyo. (Sigh...)

Yet you recently took part in a discussion relating to smoking in masu seki - or was is smoking ON the dohyo - and even claimed a bit of smoke wouldn't kill? (feel like a controlled test on that?)

With Sasanishiki-san here - Ozumo discussions is where all related issues goes.

No, it's not.

And no, I'm not going to elaborate.

That's pretty ignorant  (Just do not get it...)

No, it's not.

And no, I'm not going to elaborate.

As flexible as Chiyotaikai is with his thoroughly limited use of kimarite yet if you claim 'no it's not' (in the bottom lip stuck out kind of mode) and then go on to say words to the effect of 'and I'm not telling you why' you can only lead to assumptions - most of which will be incorrect as assumptions always are - but now

I have my own belief as regards you answer. :-P

Interesting indeed. (Sigh...) but that's besides the point -

Qttp - you wrong boy.

Homosexuality is everywhere - it is all around YOU & ME fand is only labelled as being a sport of the rich and the famous by the most limited and discriminatory (often against their own 'confusions' and ultimate realisations) people without the education-cum-evidence to back up their ideas.

What else do you believe in but won't share - AIDS is a disease solely for the homosexual population (so eighties) or black guys on drugs?

(In Japan if interested the highest growing portion of the population (AIDS) is teenage girls! - and they ain't all rich or gay - just ignorant)

Calling me ignorant?

Probably there are homosexuals in the third world. But has anyone heard about it? Noone talks about it in the third world. Why?

Too busy to feed themselves

Too hungry to think about it

Too poor to waist resource to discuss it

All you hear and read is heterosexuals (with resources like time and money and nothing better to do) talking, discussing and trying to guess the reason why homosexuals are homosexual. That is pointless. Homosexuals are homosexual so what? Has anyone asked why heterosexuals are heterosexual?

Why heterosexuals talk up homosexuality for the first place? Because they think homosexuality is strange or interesting and something to gossip about. They would not talk about it if they didn't think homosexuality was out of norm.

Let the homosexuals talk about homosexuality shall we?

One can't really know and estimate how big proportion of rikishi are gay and I don't know if such speculation is even as fruitful as the repetitive henka wars. There is a certain proportion of men who are gay, whether the proneness is in the genes or whether environment affects, who knows. That is just the way it is no matter if you are a Sudanese, Danish, Mongolian, Italian or whether you work in military, as a hair stylist (ok, I admit my horrible prejudice but I believe homosexuality prevalence amongst male hairstylists must be higher than in general population :-P ) or in a local supermarket. So the whole question about how much is there homosexualism in sumo is quite trivial to certain degree.

Grappling sports and for example ice hockey are very manly sports with plenty of jokes about gays and talking about boobs just because talking about boobs is considered manly. I doubt it is any different in sumo which definitely makes coming out of the famous closet difficult. I have never heard of openly gay Finnish hockey player either. Takasago's comments are very amusing. "One just can't win a sumo bout if you are a gay!" is a real classic :-) It probably gives an idea of the general attitude towards gays in sumo world.

Maybe one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, for why many men have a varying degree of homophobia or at least some repulsion towards it, is that people tend to imagine themselves in the position of the topic's people and evaluate how they would feel in the similar acts. How many heterosexual men don't recoil the thought of themselves having sex with another man? I don't consider myself homophobic but if I imagine myself in a homosexual experience, that image is very negative and to me it is repulsive too. But because I am a saint and in every way a very perfect individual :-D I don't let that hamper my attitude towards homosexualism. I don't like eating summer soup either and the sheer thought disgusts me but I won't oppress summer soup lovers because the acts they do with the summer soup are not my cup of cake or soup...

I wouldn't care even if KaioU was gay. Asashoryu-fans wouldn't care if Shoryu was gay either?

This 1 euro psychology while waiting for electroforesis to finish its asexual procedures is now finished :-)

I know of one certain homosexual on this list. Give me a kiss, guys, and I'll tell you who it is..

Edited by Kintamayama

I know of one certain homosexual on this list. Give me a kiss, guys, and I'll tell you who it is..

:-D :-P :-) :-) :-D (Laughing...)

(Kissing...)

Hi everyone !

This message being my first one, I will briefly introduce myself.

Celeborn (yes, Galadriel's fine and Loren's green), 22, French (that mostly explains the mistakes in my posts) living in Paris, student in litterature, sumo lover (did you expect something else ?). Some of you might know me because I'm one of the writer of "le Monde du Sumo".

... Oh, yes, I'm also gay, actually (that's why that subject crossed my eyes, I believe :-) ).

I just wanted to add my two cents : there are undoubtably rikishi that are gay, or that will discover they are one day. It's just a matter of statistics. Now I perfectly understand that those men don't tell about it : you just have to re-read Takasago-oyakata's statement ; hardly could a sentence be more homophobic than his. Actually, in sports that are not mainly manly or feminine, homosexuals already have problems (we've got a French tenniswoman - Am