Sign in to follow this  
Kaiomitsuki

Most dominant athletes alive

It is "surprising" how many of those athletes live in a country that speaks English. Talk about considering the world in a broad sense.

• Like 4

I am interested in sports (but not in US-"sports"), but I only recognize 12 out of 50.

:-(

Not to mention that the inclusion of half a dozen athletes from different teams of the same sporting league kind of defeats the concept of "dominant"...

• Like 4

That list is a crap. Really, typical americans... they like sports like baseball, basketball and hockey... somehow they didn't forget about soccer... but yeah, that list is really strange.

Possibly because the general view is that rikishi aren't "athletes". Or possibly because sumo is "wrestling" done by "professionals" and somehow equated with puroresu. Or maybe because no one bothered to look at sports significantly popular in only one country. I think the only one that isn't from an Olympic sport or a major American or European league is the squash player. They certainly tried hard to get a lot of diversity on that list, both in sports and genders, so I just think sumo basically didn't exist for the researchers of the list.

Don't blame it on Americans though, it's from a UK website.

Edited by Gurowake

Don't blame it on Americans though, it's from a UK website.

Business Insider is most definitely an American online publication.

Edit: Of course I am under no delusions that if it wasn't American it would include sumo...

Edited by krindel

Replace "Americans" with "journalists", and those stereotypes still apply.

• Like 1

I would give 100$ to anyone who can find any random 10 guys outside US, 9..........,no make it 4 or 5, of which would recognize any of the NFL/MBL or UFC athletes.

Not to mention that the inclusion of half a dozen athletes from different teams of the same sporting league kind of defeats the concept of "dominant"...

Does it? Notwithstanding any other problems with the list, the fact that e.g. Lionel Messi exists surely doesn't prevent the possibility that there might be dominant defenders or goalkeepers as well. And there's not much positional duplication as far as I can see.

I actually don't see much wrong with the list*, because...

Or maybe because no one bothered to look at sports significantly popular in only one country. I think the only one that isn't from an Olympic sport or a major American or European league is the squash player.

...how many sports are there, really, that have some type of significant following without matching that description? Sumo barely qualifies, but only because Japan is a pretty big country and the sport has centuries of history as an organized competition. Nobody cares if there's a dominant player in Gaelic handball or whatever, simply because the limited appeal of such sports also means there's a very limited player pool to dominate over.

Or does anyone here really believe that, say, Robert Fahey belongs on a list like this? He's been the undisputed world champion of his sport for 20 years, you know...

* Including a college women's basketball player is pretty silly, though, no matter how good she might be.

Edited by Asashosakari

...how many sports are there, really, that have some type of significant following without matching that description? Sumo barely qualifies, but only because Japan is a pretty big country and the sport has centuries of history as an organized competition. Nobody cares if there's a dominant player in Gaelic handball or whatever, simply because the limited appeal of such sports also means there's a very limited player pool to dominate over.

Well, if you can't find enough sports, make a shorter list... After all, the assumption that for every sport there is a dominant athlete to match, is not one that I can agree with.

Does it? Notwithstanding any other problems with the list, the fact that e.g. Lionel Messi exists surely doesn't prevent the possibility that there might be dominant defenders or goalkeepers as well. And there's not much positional duplication as far as I can see.

"Dominant" is not the same as "very good at what he does". A dominant athlete as far as I know is someone that consistently dominates his chosen sport and creates a (preferably long lasting) imbalance in competition. Athletes that appear mostly unbeatable (Like Bolt, or Lavillenie or Mayweather or Roger Federer of years past) can indeed be called dominant. Including people like Lewis Hamilton for convincingly winning the last championship is a stretch.

For team sports, "dominance" is much harder to define. Several of the people in that list are on teams that didn't do very well overall in their respective leagues, so declaring a "dominant" player on a losing team sounds iffy, no matter how good he is. There are six NBAers in that list, and NBA is a league that's very well known for not favoring "dynasties" (and none of those players won the last championship, while I think only LeBron actually HAS won one).

Basically I think that apart from the American-bias of the selection, the list is based in big part on "popularity trends", and has little to do with the actual dominance of each particular athlete. Of course, since its not an objective attribute, everyone can have their own opinion, but for me it is extremely shoddy work.

Edited by krindel
  • Like 1

Well, if you can't find enough sports, make a shorter list... After all, the assumption that for every sport there is a dominant athlete to match, is not one that I can agree with.

Of course not, but an undercurrent in the thread seemed to be that any objective case of sports domination should be included, no matter if there are 100 million people or 100 people who are aware of it happening.

"Dominant" is not the same as "very good at what he does".

Maybe not for you and not by the dictionary; I have no problem with the term being stretched that way in order to incorporate both individual and team sports. It's journalism, not a scholarly paper.

That said, I agree that the Lewis Hamilton inclusion is pretty iffy, since his success is far from sustained enough yet. But that's a separate aspect than simply not being beyond "very good".

(Rory McIlroy is a bit questionable for the same reason, although professional golf is so notoriously free-for-all that what he's done of late may well qualify as dominant in the context of that sport already.)

For team sports, "dominance" is much harder to define. Several of the people in that list are on teams that didn't do very well overall in their respective leagues, so declaring a "dominant" player on a losing team sounds iffy, no matter how good he is. There are six NBAers in that list, and NBA is a league that's very well known for not favoring "dynasties" (and none of those players won the last championship, while I think only LeBron actually HAS won one).

FWIW, I fundamentally disagree with the notion of evaluating team sport players mainly by their team success. (Insert baseball Hall of Fame debate flamewar here.) Messi would be one of the best footballers in the world even if he played for Osasuna instead of Barca. Whether he'd be publicly recognized as such is a different matter, of course. Edited by Asashosakari

FWIW, I fundamentally disagree with the notion of evaluating team sport players mainly by their team success. (Insert baseball Hall of Fame debate flamewar here.) Messi would be one of the best footballers in the world even if he played for Osasuna instead of Barca. Whether he'd be publicly recognized as such is a different matter, of course.

I agree completely that a player can be "good", "excellent" or even "the best" in a team sport, while playing for a sub-par team. I disagree that he can be dominant though. If Messi was playing for Osasuna he'd still be a great player (and it would probably look even more impressive), but he wouldn't make enough of an impact in the sport to make him dominant.

As a true example, Dirk Nowitzki is probably the best European basketball player ever. And during the previous decade he did wonders with the German National Team, considering. However, while he personally was a terror for his opponents, his team was never really a favorite, and so while he was magnificent, I wouldn't consider him "dominant" in FIBA National Team Basketball.

Hey, here's another list with exactly the same information value:

My Most Annoying Neighbours

1) The guy next door

2) That annoyingly industrious couple across the street

3) That stinky top floor guy with his rat of a dog

4) Second floor opposite: they are hiding something

5) The old fart from around the block who's chatting up 16-year-olds

etc.

I hope you can all agree to this fabulous rating.

Edited by yorikiried by fate
  • Like 3

BTW: Best "Best of" in recent times must have been The Guardian's Top 100 World Cup footballers (of all time) just before the 2014 WC.

It was seriously lacking Miro Klose.

I might be biased, but...

...16?!

Also a "nice and fair" list of important football player. Too many italian and brazilian players (over 35 from 100 are from these two countries).

???

who the f*** is nr.1 never heard of her???

She's a dominant girl in UFC, she was on WWE Wrestlemania this year as a guest and she was in the ring on one segment...

Also a "nice and fair" list of important football player. Too many italian and brazilian players (over 35 from 100 are from these two countries).

What's the problem? :-D

back to topic, I think it's unfair to put Ibra, Messi and CrisRonaldo as "dominants". They play (more os less) in the same position! A bad list. We should do better - I know that here we have fans of the mainstream sports and then some like snooker, curling (me!)

I know that here we have fans of the mainstream sports and then some like snooker, curling (me!)

Curling?! Great. \o/ I do like watching curling too!^^ Never saw Brazilians curling though... :-(

I know that here we have fans of the mainstream sports and then some like snooker, curling (me!)

Curling?! Great. \o/ I do like watching curling too!^^ Never saw Brazilians curling though... :-(

I think it begans with the winter olympics sometime in 2000's - the TV coverage was fantastisc here! For the first time we had curling and other olympic sports in prime time!

I love curling too. I watched a good bit action at the winter olympics that were in Canada, but since then haven't really watched much TV at all and so didn't really follow the more recent ones or any other tournaments that I might be able to get over the air (which is the only way I can get TV now, given that I don't watch it enough to want anything else) from Canada here in Detroit. It seems incredibly difficult given the fairly low percentage of times that they elite fail to land the shot that they plan for, but sometimes they get the absolute right line and have something amazing happen; I recall someone from Scandinavia getting a quadruple-takeout in an otherwise unoccupied house - the amount of things you have to get exactly right for all 4 stones to leave makes me think he'd have been happy for 2 and just got lucky that he managed all 4.

• Like 1

If you do enjoy curling, the CBC broadcasts many of the Canadian events online here. They also have some archived matches on the page.

If you do enjoy curling, the CBC broadcasts many of the Canadian events online here. They also have some archived matches on the page.

Only available to Canadian IP addresses.

You guys ever heard of Cyclo Cross and a certain Sven Nys ? He failed to become world champion more than just a couple of times, but over full season, he had been reigning the sport for nearly a decade & was almost unbeatable in between 2005 & 2009 (except on world championship races, as several times he cracked under pressure of being the top favorit) :

2x World Champion in : 2005 & 2013
2x World Silver Medal in : 2011 & 2014
5x World Bronze Medal in : 2000, 2002, 2008, 2009 & 2010

9x National Chamion in : 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 & 2014

7x World Cup Winner in : 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009
13x Super Prestige Winner in : 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
9x GVA/Bpost Trophy Winner in : 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2014