Homarefuji M9 Endo

Ikioi M10 Okinoumi

Kaisei M11 Kyokushuho

Arawashi M12 Toyohibiki

Fujiazuma M13 Chiyomaru

Yoshikaze M14 Kyokutenho

Jokoryu M15 Kotoyuki

Takanoiwa M16 Amuru

This post has been brought to you by "Major Jetlag" :-)

Greetings from the French Concession in Shanghai

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 7

from jiji.com

Endo drops to 9w

日本相撲協会は27日、大相撲夏場所(5月10日初日、東京・両国国技館)の新番付を発表した。春場所で歴代最多を更新する34度目の優勝を遂げた白鵬が8場所続けて東の正横綱に座り、史上初となる2度目の7連覇に挑む。西は日馬富士、東の2番目は左肩の負傷で春場所を全休した鶴竜。

大関は3場所続けて東から稀勢の里、琴奨菊、豪栄道の順。関脇は新三役の春場所で13勝を挙げた照ノ富士が引き続き東に座り、西は4場所ぶり復帰の妙義龍。小結は東が栃煌山、西が逸ノ城でともに2場所ぶりに三役に返り咲いた。

左膝を痛めて春場所を途中休場した遠藤は西前頭5枚目から同9枚目に下がった。新入幕はなく、富士東と貴ノ岩が幕内に復帰した。新十両は川端改め大翔丸、錦木の2人。出羽疾風と若乃島は再十両。 (2015/04/27-06:01)

Juryo

Tokitenku J1 Seiro

Tenkaiho J2 Chiyotairyu

Asasekiryu J3 Shohozan

Satoyama J4 Kagayaki

Hidenoumi J5 Amakaze

Tamaasuka J6 Shotenro

Daieisho J7 Wakanosato

Asahisho J8 Daido

Kagamio J9 Kitaharima

Onosho J10 Chiyoo

Ishiura J11 Akiseyama

Dewahayate J12 Daishomaru

Abi J13 Nishikigi

Wakanoshima J14 Tosayutaka

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 5

Makushita (upper ranks ms1-15)

Masunoyama ms1 Tokushinho

Chiyoarashi ms2 Shodai

Mitakeumi ms3 Abiko

Sakigake ms4 Kizenryu

Sotairyu ms5 Irie

Kyokutaisei ms6 Kotoeko

Asabenkei ms7 Hokaho

Akua ms8 Meisei

Sagatsukasa ms9 Sasanoyama

Takagi ms10 Oiwato

Hamaguchi ms11 Keitenkai

Masunosho ms12 Azumaryu

Higoarashi ms13 Hakuyozan

Gochozan ms14 Terutsuyoshi

Yamatofuji ms15 Wakayama

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 1

So Endo goes 4-2-9 at M5w and drops to M9w. Banzuke luck or favoritism? Looks like banzuke luck.

Edited by Kishinoyama

So Endo goes 4-2-9 at M5w and drops to M9w. Banzuke luck or favoritism? Looks like banzuke luck.

There's a bit of a logjam at Maegashira 8/9, with Takekaze, Takayasu and Homarefuji all falling to that area, plus the outlier of Okinoumi coming all the way down from Sekiwake. Basically it comes down to giving Endo a break or being kind to Ikioi and giving him the extra half-step.

I can just about see Kaisei having a cause for complaint, but he hasn't done too badly recently either, spending ten consecutive basho between M4 and M6 (and good on him for doing that) with three 8-7 kachi-koshi in that period.

Edited by Yubinhaad

Yes, very much "Banzuke luck" for Endo. Also Takekaze and Takayasu mustn't complain to be M8 (Tokitenku goes nine ranks down with his 3-12, Takayasu only five).

why keep Amuru in, but not Tokitenku ??

boooring wins vs ketagurrer ;(

Kyokutenho is 14W. Unless he goes at least 7-8, this may be the last time we ever see him in action. I'm sure a repeat of his latest 6-9 record won't be good enough to keep him from being demoted to juryo. If that demotion becomes possible, I hope he instead will retire as the truly inspirational makunouchi rikishi he is.

At this rank I would expect him to come up with a winning record, thereby staying around for a while longer--possibly quite a while longer. He's surprised us before and I'm sure he can do it again. If he remains active for two more tournaments, he will be 41 years old entering the Aki basho.

The only basho he has missed In 23 years was due to suspension, not injury. Even Hakuho missed a basho due to injury and Kyokutenho's career began nine years before the yokozuna's. The man is truly amazing.

• Like 5

That would be Amakaze at J5w as it might be a tight schedule for Kagayaki otherwise. :)

Juryo

Tokitenku J1 Seiro
Tenkaiho J2 Chiyotairyu
Asasekiryu J3 Shohozan
Satoyama J4 Kagayaki
Hidenoumi J5 Kagayaki
Tamaasuka J6 Shotenro
Daieisho J7 Wakanosato
Asahisho J8 Daido
Kagamio J9 Kitaharima
Onosho J10 Chiyoo
Ishiura J11 Akiseyama
Abi J13 Nishikigi

• Like 1

Aminishiki isn't doing so badly either at M2... it has been very quiet about his state of health, does anyone know whether he will be returning?

I definitely approve of doing it, but I'm surprised they actually dropped Tokitenku instead of Amuru.

Endo getting a smaller demotion than Kaisei is a bit of a joke, but combined with the (to me) surprising decision to put Aminishiki ahead of Osunaarashi, it almost looks like both received extra credit for their strong records at the time of their withdrawals from the basho (4-1 for Endo, 8-2 for Ami).

• Like 1

That would be Amakaze at J5w as it might be a tight schedule for Kagayaki otherwise. :)

Juryo

Tokitenku J1 Seiro

Tenkaiho J2 Chiyotairyu

Asasekiryu J3 Shohozan

Satoyama J4 Kagayaki

Hidenoumi J5 Kagayaki

Tamaasuka J6 Shotenro

Daieisho J7 Wakanosato

Asahisho J8 Daido

Kagamio J9 Kitaharima

Onosho J10 Chiyoo

Ishiura J11 Akiseyama

Abi J13 Nishikigi

Oops, thanks for pointing out that mistake, it's corrected now.

• Like 1

I definitely approve of doing it, but I'm surprised they actually dropped Tokitenku instead of Amuru.

Endo getting a smaller demotion than Kaisei is a bit of a joke, but combined with the (to me) surprising decision to put Aminishiki ahead of Osunaarashi, it almost looks like both received extra credit for their strong records at the time of their withdrawals from the basho (4-1 for Endo, 8-2 for Ami).

Might be that Endo's low drop and Ami's high position were due to the fact that they dropped out due to injury while they could have reasonably been expected to achieve more wins had they not been injured.

I'm really glad that they decided to keep the fellow Russian in makuuchi. Hopefully he achieves his first kachikoshi in the top division this basho.

My exposure to sumo only goes back a few years, but in that time I don't think I've seen the joi look this strong or competitive! Looking forward to some great matchups! :-)

My exposure to sumo only goes back a few years, but in that time I don't think I've seen the joi look this strong or competitive! Looking forward to some great matchups! :-)

I completely agree. The highest position which has no realistic chance of Kachikoshi is Tokushoryu at M4w which will beaten badly, in my opinion. It will be tough going for the Ozeki! We might see another Kadoban.

where can you find the mae-sumo list? is Asayamabana doing maesumo again (he was out with an injury last time, and only ended up with 1 win right? so he would need to do mae-sumo again)?

how cool would it be to see Asayamabana vs Brody? :-D

where can you find the mae-sumo list? is Asayamabana doing maesumo again (he was out with an injury last time, and only ended up with 1 win right? so he would need to do mae-sumo again)?

how cool would it be to see Asayamabana vs Brody? :-D

Asayamabana cleared maezumo in March.

only ended up with 1 win right? so he would need to do mae-sumo again)?

Competing once is enough.

only ended up with 1 win right? so he would need to do mae-sumo again)?

Competing once is enough.

If you are saying competing in maezumo once is enough, this is the usual case, but not always true. A quick search turned up several rikishi who've had to go do maezumo a second time just within the past 10 years.

Some examples I found: Haguroho and Azumanami both missed 2 basho within their first year on the banzuke and had to go repeat maezumo.

Hakiai and Ikeru both dropped to banzuke gai status and had to repeat maezumo to begin their comebacks.

Fukugoriki has had to repeat maezumo at least twice (in both 2007 and 2009), having originally been through maezumo before 2006. He did not drop to banzuke gai status prior to either of those repeats.

Then there are the rikishi, such as Azumaryu, Takanoiwa, and others, who had to repeat maezumo in consecutive bashos at the beginning of their careers. Why, I don't know.

As I said, these are just samples from a quick search. It's not an all-inclusive list by any means. And I didn't look for anything before 2006.

where can you find the mae-sumo list?

The Kyokai will publish it on Day 1, and I assume Naganoyama will relay it to the Natsu recruits thread shortly after. :-)

I've never noticed anyone going back to maezumo unless they missed at least a basho or two. I think even a very loss heavy rikishi at a low rank doesn't get relegated to maezumo (assuming he doesn't quit first) unless he actually misses a basho or most of one. They are probably numerous examples proving I am wrong in this assumption. :)

This makes me think of one of my all time favs, Kasachikara, who just wouldn't quit - and I mean just wouldn't quit in the literal sense. He never did very well in general, but he went years without a kachi-koshi, sometimes only winning a bout or so, and was never relegated back to maezumo for it.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?shikona=Kasachikara&heya=-1&shusshin=-1&b=-1&high=-1&hd=-1&entry=-1&intai=-1&sort=1

Edited by Asameshimae
  • Like 1

:-) At least he got some Kachikoshi in his "career". Azumayama is still waiting for his first KK and he also never went back to maezumo, he even made it to Jonidan.

• Like 1