Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

retirees after Hatsu 2015

15 more, after previously-known former sekitori Tochinowaka, Homasho, Sensho and Towanoyama:

sandanme:

Ugonoumi (Minezaki, 20 years old, high rank Sd8)

Tamakaizan (Kataonami, 26y, Sd45)

Manazuru (Asahiyama, 30y, Sd13)

Hokkairyu (Kitanoumi, 28y, Ms27)

jonidan:

Tosa (Michinoku, 34y, Sd38)

Koju (Asahiyama, 30y, Sd68)

Daikosei (Asahiyama, 26y, Jd6)

Kotofubuki (Sadogatake, 36y, Sd95)

Umetsu (Shikoroyama, 18y, Sd72)

Yamauchi (Nishikido, 18y, Jd76)

Mimanishiki (Isegahama, 22y, Jd36)

jonokuchi:

Nakamurayama (Hakkaku, 19y, Jd37)

Takasaito (Tagonoura, 20y, Jd8)

Ichinohe (Arashio, 18y, Jk20)

Sakai (Tagonoura, 17y, Jd101)

No third heya move for Manazuru, after all... Fellow Asahiyama retiree Daikosei is a former dai-persister who started off his career 1-34 in his first year and with 11 MK altogether.

• Like 3

Fellow Asahiyama retiree Daikosei is a former dai-persister who started off his career 1-34 in his first year and with 11 MK altogether.

Actually, this sort of retirement always strikes me as a bit odd... Mid 20s, after 11 years of being hopelessly bad at sumo, since he didn't quit at 19 you'd expect him to stick with it until his mid 30s and hope for staying with the heya after. Then again, he might have found another job and decided that the longer term prospects were better, who knows...

Fellow Asahiyama retiree Daikosei is a former dai-persister who started off his career 1-34 in his first year and with 11 MK altogether.

Actually, this sort of retirement always strikes me as a bit odd... Mid 20s, after 11 years of being hopelessly bad at sumo, since he didn't quit at 19 you'd expect him to stick with it until his mid 30s and hope for staying with the heya after. Then again, he might have found another job and decided that the longer term prospects were better, who knows...

I guess in this particular case, the retirement of his shisho is the crucial factor.

He probably would have continued if the heya had not shut down.

No third heya move for Manazuru, after all... Fellow Asahiyama retiree Daikosei is a former dai-persister who started off his career 1-34 in his first year and with 11 MK altogether.

That just leaves Daiisshin from the previous Isegahama-beya then. He also started out as a dai-persister.

Kataonami-beya down to five rikishi...

Quite a few men with years of experience leaving this time, ultimately inevitable I know, but still sad.

Jonidan yobidashi Tatsu retired as of December 30th, by the way.

• Like 1

Compared to the other retirees the records of 26 year old Tamakaizan look pretty good (8 KK in the last 11 tournaments) but I don't know him or his reasons at all.

I think Asasekiryu must be nearing intai after this basho.

I agree. He doesn't seem to have anything left. :-(

Sorry to see Ugonoumi retire, I always liked his style.

Yato from Michinoku Beya left the heya, something must have happened there, Yato had to leave and my favourite Kirinoryu returned with short hair now. Didin't want to ask and embarrass him.