Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

Day 1 things

Juryo:

All 5 most recent juryo entrants made their foes look like those cities tourists rarely visit but often pass them by on their way to some appealing tourist paradise. Kotoshogiku, Hagiwara and Toyonoshima won with immaculate tachi-ai follow-up ousting their hapless foes Daishodai, Chiyotenzan and Kobo respectively. Kotooshu observed the small relic before pushing him face first down with okuritaoshi. Katayama came onto the dohyo full of perfect sumo compactness and ballet shiko (compared to Asanowaka's old dog's last pee shiko Katayama is from different world). He looks really sumoish in a modern way. Video froze so no idea what happened but kainahineri was his winning technique against Ichinotani so good start.

Juryo had other notable events when Kaido did the second tokkurinage against Oikari. First time it really got embedded in his spinal cord I guess. Kitazakura and Gojoro had dynamic big men's battle with violent yanks and overall small man's sumo atmosphere. Good bout and Kitazakura modest fist pumps while waiting to give chikaramizu to the next fellow were well deserved. Ama is unfortunatly once again wounded pretty badly. Last basho it was the shoulder and now the calf is a big problem. Squats down to one side and very gingerly movement. Will be another agonizingly difficult basho for him :-) Kasuganishiki looks off-form too based on today's bout against Ushiomary but it is not clear yet. Ushiomary on the other hand looked normal and as porky as ever. Roho-Tamakasuga was a waiting game and veterans often win waiting games. Lastly Yotsukasa-Hamanishiki was good too when Yotsukasa looked like he was saying "Damn bloody small foe, you refuse to go out with regular okuridashi so I'll slam you down then" resulting in okurihikiotoshi.

Makuuchi:

Ideal foe for Toki, normal proceedings and back to bath with a pulldown white star hanging from sideburns. Futeno and Harunoyama leaned and leaned before Futeno twisted Haru down. Potsu did yokozuna sumo against Wakatoba not giving him a moment of rest and simply outmaneuvering him with ease.

Snack, knuckle, pop and Toyozakura's sumo. Furious tsuki/oshi with uu-uu and even got time to break Takanowaka's good grip at the beginning of the bout. This is why Toyozakura is needed in makuuchi!

Kasugao threw Kinki down and looked good. Buyuzan got a sheetful of support from some guys and awarded them with a businesslike win after 15 seconds of constant pushing.

Haya is really quick, too quick for Sakae. Aminishiki's silence of the lambs tachi-ai was as fluent as tachi-ais get but Kaiho regrouped and delivered his beautiful makiotoshi.

Sakke clamped Hakuho and walked him backwards but at the edge the Mongolian twisted and both fell simultaneously. Mono-ii was called which confused Sakke who did a little 360 degrees turn at his dohyo side before descending down to let shimpan gather together. Crowd chanted something (maybe to-ri-na-os-hi or something more vulgar) during the mono-ii but to the dismay of them gyoji's initial call was approved and Hakuho won.

Tosanoumi and thud-sound.

If nothing else, Miyabiyama knows how to beat Nada. Quite lackluster bout was all but finished when Miya suddenly seized morozashi. You don't see morozashi by Miya often. Kakizoe continue morozashi-Musashigawa trend and yorikiried Tsuumi. Kakizoe's body brother Takekaze beat Dejima (thought for a moment that crowd was chanting "MEXICO" in the way they call their country Mehico before clicking the video on top and saw Dejima in shikiri) with much stronger tachi-ai. Good resume log.

Shimotori managed to stay out of pulling danger and yorikiried Shuzan out.

Kotonowaka looks bigger than ever ecclipsing the video close shot! Calm veteran took Hokutoriki's push moderately well and then got a grip and non-chalantly flipped Hoku down with "no more effort that absolutely needed"-uwatenage. Hokutoriki tightened his lips and bowed out knowing his basho will be a helluva tough one.

Kokkai got in a replica tachi-ai of Musoyama-bout in Natsu. Tremendous tachi-ai blast which immediately destroyed Waka's balance and rest was simple. Perfect Kokkai-sumo. Felt something in his neck at that blast, hopefully nothing too debilitating. The interesting part is that Wakanosato tried to go for full tachi-

Anybody who likes to read accurate und unbiased reports about the basho and can do without expressions like "old dog`s pee" should subscribe to Ken Collers "SumoNow".

Anybody who likes to read accurate und unbiased reports about the basho and can do without expressions like "old dog`s pee" should subscribe to Ken Collers "SumoNow".

Hello? Too many mushrooms today?

:-)

And anyone who knows Cavewoman should totally ignore her insane posts. Mushrooms? Mushrooms is a good day for her.. I wonder how long till she gets banned from here as well, seeing as she's been banned from virtually every single Sumo-related body she ever belonged to..

Go away, Monica, back to your cave. woman!! And don't read this!

And anyone who knows Cavewoman should totally ignore her insane posts. Mushrooms? Mushrooms is a good day for her.. I wonder how long till she gets banned from here as well, seeing as she's been banned from virtually every single Sumo-related body she ever belonged to..

Go away, Monica, back to your cave. woman!! And don't read this!

Oh, it's her. Only time I have ever unsubscribed to the Bench Sumo Mailing list.

I agree that Ken Coller writes mostly accurate and unbiased reports, but personally I find him rather boring to read. Plus I get put off by the broken navigation at that site, and the fact that he hides comments from previous basho. They are still accessible, but you must hack the URL to get them. I'd rather read Kaikitsune's admittedly biased comments, as well as the columns at SumoTalk.

Back on sumo - and a biased report on Tamanoi and a bit more.

Saw the bouts with

Minaminoshima - crap, offered nothing and should have just turned and walked out backwards.

Nakanokuni - slipped but recovered well to win a good bout

Shibuya - bloody brilliant. 168kg but not 'fat' - very strong and fast, good balance - nice throat attack & hold to buy himself time before pushing out opponent. Starting to look like he believes in himself. Just 17 IIRC now.

Yoshiazuma - reminds me of Takanonami in technique and usage of his arms but simple win walking out his opposite Ms 1 who looked bored.

Also - Takaazuma (Brazilian) posted first win in J/kuchi but didn't see it.

Ichinoya (is it?) won and is still around. Rumor has it he remembers the FIRST Nagoya basho!

Ichinoya (is it?) won and is still around. Rumor has it he remembers the FIRST Nagoya basho!

Although Ichinoya not being born at that time could hamper the rumours :-)

One word about Kokkai: WOW! That was some explosive sumo right there. Absolutely destroyed Waka. Also gave a good glare at the end.

Kaio-Mickey: Is Kaio that bad, or is Mickey that good this basho? It was an even match, so its tough to tell.

Nice performances indeed by Kokkai and Kotomitsuki.

In my opinion Kotomitsuki has got a good chance of winning the Yusho if he stays in this form :-)

In my opinion Kotomitsuki has got a good chance of winning the Yusho if he stays in this form :-)

In my opinion beating Kaio on shonichi is not that big an accomplishment. I think we should wait a couple of days before drawing any conclusions about Kaio and Kotomitsuki. (In a state of confusion...)

The Wakanosato - Kokkai tachi-ai was the most violent one I have seen for a long time - WOW!

Both going forward at full speed with Kokkai being the less dazzled one - what a clash! :-)

Iwakiyama weathered Musoyama's pressure very well with his big bulk before twisting Muso down with a subtle uwatehineri! Musoyama's uphill started early but he looked strong nevertheless.

Musoyama looked good indeed and lost this bout like only Musoyama can.

It is so damn predictable it is amusing. Tenho on all fours after some seconds. This time Tenho was *almost* able to close in and beat Taikai but not quite so Taikai survived by pulling back and Tenho fell forward. Genki sumo by Tenho though and it appears that the whole M1-M2 is in good shape.

Predictable, yes. Although I didn't see any time during the bout that Tenho was close to beating Taikai. The only thing he was close to was getting half a grip on the belt, and even that was when he was at the edge already. Good forward sumo by Taikai against a guy who isn't easy to push.

In my opinion beating Kaio on shonichi is not that big an accomplishment. I think we should wait a couple of days before drawing any conclusions about Kaio and Kotomitsuki.

I second that.

In my opinion Kotomitsuki has got a good chance of winning the Yusho if he stays in this form (Applauding...)

In my opinion beating Kaio on shonichi is not that big an accomplishment. I think we should wait a couple of days before drawing any conclusions about Kaio and Kotomitsuki. :-)

Kaio and Kotomitsuki had a 6-6 head to head record before the bout (and 2-2 over the last year although Kaio has won the last two). You shouldn't really be that surprised by either of them winning on a particular day. Kaio just finds Kotomitsuki a tough opponent.

I would love to see Mickey back to his best but will not prejudge the issue on the basis of day 1.

Predictable, yes. Although I didn't see any time during the bout that Tenho was close to beating Taikai. The only thing he was close to was getting half a grip on the belt, and even that was when he was at the edge already. Good forward sumo by Taikai against a guy who isn't easy to push.

Well Tenho was not at the edge at all and forced Taikai's arms into very bent position. The closeness came from that posture which was getting Taikai into deep trouble little by little. All Tenho needed was to get few inches forward and close the gap. Wasn't far and Taikai's withdrawal was pretty much his best bet in the situation. Tenho showed good resistance and better pursuing of Taikai's torso than in recent bashos where he has just stopped Taikai and then fallen on all fours. Tenho looks very genki based on this bout and tomorrow one of the most telling events will be Tenho against Azuma.

I would love to see Mickey back to his best but will not prejudge the issue on the basis of day 1.

He has a great chance to show he is in form with a power win against Musoyama tomorrow. Kadoban monster looked formidable despite the loss and he really needs to avoid 0-2 start. Kotomitsuki was good today but wasn't challenged.

One word about Kokkai: WOW! That was some explosive sumo right there. Absolutely destroyed Waka. Also gave a good glare at the end.

Kaio-Mickey: Is Kaio that bad, or is Mickey that good this basho? It was an even match, so its tough to tell.

And so ANR has his S Toto 'x' on Kokkai today against the yokozuna.

He has a great chance to show he is in form with a power win against Musoyama tomorrow. Kadoban monster looked formidable despite the loss and he really needs to avoid 0-2 start. Kotomitsuki was good today but wasn't challenged.

Kotomitsuki has a 10-6 record against Musoyama and 2-1 over the last year. If Mickey beats Musoyama today, I will still reserve judgement about his form.

I agree that the manner of his win (if he wins) might reveal something about his form.