Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits for Haru 2015

If I'm reading the article right, I believe they're saying July 1986 was when all banzuke-gai bouts, not just those at the Haru basho, were officially considered maezumo and thus would not be counted in a rikishi's official win-loss record ...

Right, that much is definitive. I'm just wondering if that also means they scrapped the regular scheduling at the same time, or if that happened at another point. However, looking at the DB again I see that there are lots of maezumo results for tournaments in the 1970s and 1980s - and they stop appearing right at July 1986, so I guess they did change it right there.

Anyone notice how Kotoanbai snuck in as an "Indonesian" as listed on the Banzuke - no "waiting period" basho for him. His visa stuff must have already been in order.

Another thread mentioned that he already had a Japanese passport, and was raised in Indonesia. If he already has citizenship, there shouldn't be any visas required.

Some nice amateur bouts of Ura

• Like 2

I am getting very excited for Ura, all of his bouts have been very entertaining, very different type of sumo.

But that technique seems like a lower division tactic, that's not gonna fly with the big boys in makuuchi. I can just see him losing by hatakikomi every time against stronger opponents. Thoughts?

I am getting very excited for Ura, all of his bouts have been very entertaining, very different type of sumo.

But that technique seems like a lower division tactic, that's not gonna fly with the big boys in makuuchi. I can just see him losing by hatakikomi every time against stronger opponents. Thoughts?

Ura will no doubt need to change his style, but I have a small glimmer of optimism that maybe he can keep some of his more unorthodox techniques if only because most people won't prepare to defend against anything like what he does.

The technique seems adequate to the opponents in these bouts. Obviously it will look different against stronger and better Rikishi and that will start at least in Sandamne.

I'm optimistic for him, and I guess he will develop a Satoyama-type style and a similar career. Without having seen his early career, I think Satoyama is the best peer in this case. Other very light Rikishi like Chiyoshoma are quite different in style.

However, my imagination is not good enough to picture him as bulky and strong as Harumafuji to really compete in Makuuchi.

Just for completion (maybe someone can double check that please):

I just googled Isenoumi beya's Tsukimoto and found this website http://doshisha-atom.net/web/result.php?no=555 .

At the bottom of the page, they list him and Irumagawa beya's Hirotsukasa (Ota Kodai) as part of the Doshisha Sumo Club. At least that is what I read out of this.

Maybe that bit of information might be interesting for the database as well (university category).

I heard Ura was something to see but had yet to give him much attention. If he can bring half of what he brought to amateur sumo he'll be a joy to watch.

The sumo clip above where he pushes with his back (perhaps someone more keen on the rarer kimarite knows the name) would have been a failure if he'd moved a millisecond later as his opponent would have grappled him from behind and marched him out.

I think I'll have to go look for videos of his jonokuchi debut.

Edited by Asameshimae