Kintamayama

Kakuryuu getting married

Kakuryuu is marrying a 23 year old Mongolian lady. They are expecting their first born in May. She is a student, they met a year ago, and she moved in with him 8 months ago. The parents have met, and the invitations will be sent after Hatsu."She is healthy and very cheerful," he supposedly said about her.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 10

Congratulations to him.

Probably still early to speculate, but I suppose this also could give a hint as to what Kakuryuu is planning to do after retirement -- most of the foreign rikishi planning to stay in sumo and having an eye on their own kabu/heya have so far married japanese ladies, whereas the ones with other plans have mostly married non-japanese.

Edited by dingo

My wife was reading this news this morning on Yahoo Japan where she says his fiance is also pregnant and due to deliver in May.

Kakuryu's newly expecing bride (in May) --Kyodo news:

• Like 10

Kakuryo:"She is healthy and very cheerful,"

She looks very cheerful indeed. And pretty she is.

The first part of the statement reminds me on how wifes are chosen in the 18th or 19th century. But I guess the nuances of meaning might get a little bit twisted in the translations from mongolian to japanese to english.

Izutsu Oyakata once said to me that he wanted Kakuryu to marry his daughter and take over the heya after his career.

But Kakuryu always refused to do so ;-). (Although Izutsu Oyakata's daughter is a very pretty and charming young lady.)

Kakuryu is very traditional, he always said that he will only marry a mongolian woman.

• Like 7

Isn't it appropriate thing to say about a pregnant woman. Duh. May be it schould have been translated as feeling well or something. Yorikiried by faith you are just plain disgusting.

Edited by BuBa
  • Like 1

Please, no name-calling and personal insults. Attack the content of the message, not the one writing it. Thank you.

• Like 3

Some of the pics

Kakuryu with his very genki (here rather "full of energy" than "healthy") fiancée and a very non-genki Izutsu-oyakata
07638552.jpg
the oyakata maybe thinking of his own conference, where he announced he'd been already married and had a daughter age 7.
Izutsu-beya tradition: younger brother Terao's wife was also pregnant at his announcement, former ozeki Kirishima's first daughter was born right after he announced his marriage.
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20150107-1418390.html
sp-20150107-kakuryu-ns-big.jpg

20150106-OHT1I50032-L.jpg

sp-hirose-150106-kakuryu-ns-big.jpg

G20150107009586700_view.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 6

Yorikiried by faith you are just plain disgusting.

Oh yes? And you're ugly.

Buba, I must disagree with you. YBF is many things, but never "plain".

And congratulations to The Kak. It must be difficult to find prospective wives who would put up with the daily structure and rituals of Professional Sumo.

Now, maybe we can all work together to help Geeku a nice young lady?

(And maybe for Takamisakari, if he's still looking?)

Kakuryu with his very genki (here rather "full of energy" than "healthy") fiancée and a very non-genki Izutsu-oyakata

He is really not genki (healthy as well): deputy head of the shimpan-department Izutsu-oyakata is kyujo for the (most likely whole) basho, the new Nishonoseki-oyakata (ex-Wakashimazu) replaces him as chief shimpan at the dohyo - the deputy head is one of 3 chief shimpan for the juryo and above bouts of the day.

The stress from the preparations for Kakuryu's announcement conference are seen as a reason for the kyujo.

He wasn't at the Meiji-jingu dohyo-iri (9th) and the dohyo-matsuri (10th).

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2015/01/11/kiji/K20150111009609750.html

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2015/01/11/kiji/K20150111009611630.html

• Like 1

Kakuryuu is marrying a 23 year old Mongolian lady. They are expecting their first born in May.

Born today, a daughter weighing in at sumo-sized 4,480 grams.
  • Like 5

wow ... hope the little jacket fits her ;-)

18253889052_3ede6772e9_z.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Today was Kakuryu's wedding reception with about 500 guests - same day as Ishiura - Hakuho was at both

f_10604878.jpg

b_10604877.jpgo

b_10604879.jpgo b_10604878.jpgo201710010000789-w200_0.jpgo 4ac3afb9de832bb72272409f82e8e99e-213x300.jpgo 0171001at51_t.jpgo s.jpg  spo1710010041-n1.jpgo 201710010000789-w200_1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Morning papers about Kakuryu's wedding

201710020000248-w200_0.jpgo  sum17100205010001-m1.jpgo 4.jpgo b_10606336.jpgo 20171002s00005000056000p_thum.jpgo

201710020000243-w200_0.jpgob_10606338.jpgo 6b23e552742e1c243576b2359d0bdb4e-223x300.jpgo

Hakuho twitter

DLGz2D0UIAAmOgk.jpg:thumbo

BTW, had he been still kyujo for the jungyo, Kakuryu hadn't been allowed to attend his wedding

Edited by Akinomaki

u no work, u no fun - ancient proverb of the lizardpeople

question: how does the japanese marriage-system work? as a german i'm used to all-in-1-day. first you visit the bureaucrats to make it official, then - if you want/need it - you have a wedding ceremony at church and then the munchathon starts with coffee/cake followed by a dinner and lots of booze.

Edited by Benihana

I can only attest to attending my friends weddings but it seems like the marriage is registered with the government and only then can planning for the ceremony and reception (nijikai) can begin. There is a concept of engagement and promise rings but the level of seriousness at that stage seems to be that planning for the ceremony is a bit premature.

Also the time between the registration and the ceremony allows sorting out schedules of important people and saving the money (I know weddings are expensive anywhere but dropping a few years salary seems more common there).

It doesn't apply to kakuryus case but many women are getting married 30+ years old so getting a baby baking asap for health reasons is important, and the wife won't want to be clearly pregnant during ceremony etc.

It seems to go like this (add or delete parts according to couple)

Register the marriage.

Wait a while to figure things out.

Japanese ceremony (only important people) 

Western ceremony (add some close people)

Reception (Large number of people like company colleagues)

These might be on same weekend or apart... it's pretty flexible.

Of course, a yokozuna wedding will be a bit different to typical people's weddings...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3