Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kokonoe Kanreki dohyo-iri

Ex-Chiyonofuji, Kokonoe-oyakata will have his kanreki (60 years completed)-doyho-iri on May 31st next year in the Kokugikan. He turns 60 on June the 1st.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20141230-1415499.html

No word yet about his attendants, I guess Hakkaku as tachi-mochi and Takanohana as tsuyu-harai.

• Like 6

Ex-Chiyonofuji, Kokonoe-oyakata will have his kanreki (60 years completed)-doyho-iri on May 31st next year in the Kokugikan. He turns 60 on June the 1st.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20141230-1415499.html

No word yet about his attendants, I guess Hakkaku as tachi-mochi and Takanohana as tsuyu-harai.

Is Kitanoumi ineligible for an attendant position due to being senior to Kokonoe? Because the previous two ichidai toshiyori that had a kanreki dohyo-iri (Taiho and Kitanoumi) both had ichidai toshiyori attendants honoring them. (Of course in that context I count Kokonoe himself as an ichidai toshiyori, even if he refused it).

I don't think that in any of the previous kanreki dohyo-iri cermonies, any of the attendants themselves had been honoured by a kanreki dohyo-iri (ie the attendants were always younger), so presumably that will apply in this case also.

Swami

Could we imagine that Hakkaku oyakata will be chosen?

Could we imagine that Hakkaku oyakata will be chosen?

He'll be a definite, with most likely Takanohana as the other, although perhaps one of the other yokozuna from that era - Shibatayama (Onokuni) or Isegahama (Asahifuji).

Swami

A very unusual turn: Hakuho and Harumafuji as tachi-mochi and tsuyu-harai, if they consent - it would be the first time that 2 active yokozuna act as attendants at a kanreki-dohyo-iri. 1 active yokozuna or 2 lower ranked active rikishi has happened. And if one gets injured at the natsu-basho and goes kyojo, Kakuryu would be substitute.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20150214-1434285.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 10

A very unusual turn: Hakuho and Harumafuji as tachi-mochi and tsuyu-harai, if they consent - it would be the first time that 2 active yokozuna act as attendants at a kanreki-dohyo-iri. 1 active yokozuna or 2 lower ranked active rikishi has happened. And if one gets injured at the natsu-basho and goes kyojo, Kakuryu would be substitute.

http://wwwwww.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20150214-1434285.html

Wow! That would be huge!

This means a combined 70 total yusho (or even 72) coming together for this special dohyo-iri.

Edited by kuroimori

This means a combined 70 total yusho (or even 72) coming together for this special dohyo-iri.

And not even close to the record for a kanreki dohyo-iri...

kanreki06.jpg​

Edited by Washuyama
  • Like 13

A record that could be tied/broken with Takanohana as an attendant and an at least one/two-times winning Hakuho.

A side question came into my mind: Will there be new (special) kesho-mawashi set for the kanreki dohyo-iri? Or will they use one of "old" ones?

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20150214-1434285.html

Very surprising... I guess they decided that it was tough to top the last two "official" kanreki, where everyone was an ichidai toshiyori, but as someone mentioned, if they didn't mind going active, then Takanohana / Hakuho might make more sense. Besides, neither of the three current Yokozuna has any ties to Kokonoe anyway (they are not even the same ichimon)...

Maybe, and I'm just thinking aloud here, they are trying to set a new "tradition" for the kanreki ceremony, where everyone gets any available active yokozuna and that's it? After all, after Kokonoe there are only 5 former Yokozuna left in the kyokai at the moment... Takanohana would end up attending more kanreki dohyo-iris than makes sense :-)

Edited by krindel

Tsunauchi took place today at Kokonoe-beya to make the tsuna for the shisho's kanreki dohyo-iri at the weekend. Here are some pictures, of varying size and quality.

The hemp drying.

Kokonoe01.jpg

Wrapped in red linen. [2]

Kokonoe02.jpg

Kokonoe03.jpg

Two white tsuna were also produced, to be worn by tachimochi Hakuho and tsuyuharai Harumafuji.

Kokonoe04.jpg

Tsunauchi participants wear red and white nejiri hachimaki, for this one they were made by Kokonoe-beya's own yobidashi Shigeo.

Kokonoe05.jpg

The rikishi, and a couple of sewanin, work on one of the white tsuna. [4]

Kokonoe06.jpg

Kokonoe07.jpg

Kokonoe08.jpg

Kokonoe09.jpg

Meanwhile, Kokonoe himself observed from the agarizashiki and kept the rhythm going on a taiko drum, as did Sanoyama-oyakata (former Ozeki Chiyotaikai). [3]

Kokonoe10.jpg

Kokonoe11.jpg

Kokonoe12.jpg

Now work starts on the red tsuna for the shisho. Thin copper wire is placed inside to add stiffness to the tsuna. [2]

Kokonoe13.jpg

Kokonoe14.jpg

Chiyootori takes a break to bang the drum alongside the shisho. [2]

Kokonoe15.jpg

Kokonoe16.jpg

Shigeo lends a hand. [3]

Kokonoe17.jpg

Kokonoe18.jpg

Kokonoe19.jpg

Almost ready.

Kokonoe20.jpg

Now it's time for Kokonoe to try it on. [6]

Kokonoe21.jpg

Kokonoe22.jpg

Kokonoe23.jpg

Kokonoe24.jpg

Kokonoe25.jpg

Kokonoe26.jpg

Some commemorative pictures with the participants. [4]

Kokonoe27.jpg

Kokonoe28.jpg

Kokonoe29.jpg

Kokonoe30.jpg

The completed tsuna. Also on display at Kokonoe-beya is the tsuna Chiyonofuji wore during the 1990 Kyushu basho, in which he won his 31st and final Makuuchi yusho. [3]

Kokonoe31.jpg

Kokonoe32.jpg

Kokonoe33.jpg

• Like 12

Will the event be broadcasted and viewable lets say with Niji?

Kokonoe looks like he could still hold his own on the dohyo..

• Like 3

Kokonoe looks like he could still hold his own on the dohyo..

The Rocky Balboa of sumo. Still amazes me that he turned down being a one-generation elder. I'm still trying to figure out why he hasnt been the rijicho for the NSK yet? Or is he waiting for that to be his final conquest?

Still looks great for 60 on 1 June. Remains my all-time favourite, his nage technique was just magic to watch.

Swami

• Like 2

I don’t remember Kitanoumi’s tsuna being red. Was it? Or is Kokonoe oyakata special for some reason?

I don’t remember Kitanoumi’s tsuna being red. Was it? Or is Kokonoe oyakata special for some reason?

or are you referring to the gohei?

Edited by inhashi
  • Like 1

I prefer red tsuna over red bream any day.

• Like 2

Just watched the old thread about Kitanoumis Kanreki dohyo-iri and found this guy in blue (left):

o7yn.jpg

and here in Chiyonofuji's thread I found him again, wearing the exactly same clothes:

Kokonoe18.jpg

• Like 3

I dont remember Kitanoumis tsuna being red. Was it? Or is Kokonoe oyakata special for some reason?

I am only guessing, bit it might be red as the red undies that elderly people buy in Japan.

It symbolizes and should bring luck - for the aged that translates to having a long and genki life.

Weird, don’t know how I forgot about that…

What’s the gohei? I was under the impression that the rope yokozuna wear around their bellies with that particular knot on the back was called a tsuna.

Weird, don’t know how I forgot about that…

What’s the gohei? I was under the impression that the rope yokozuna wear around their bellies with that particular knot on the back was called a tsuna.

The gohei are the zigzag paper strips hanging in front. Kokonoe's are red; most others have been white even on a red tsuna.

• Like 1

Just watched the old thread about Kitanoumis Kanreki dohyo-iri and found this guy in blue (left):

o7yn.jpg

and here in Chiyonofuji's thread I found him again, wearing the exactly same clothes:

Kokonoe18.jpg

Sewanin Yuho from Otake Beya. It looks like it might be a shirt with an NSK logo. (It could be a new one in the second picture of course.) But the tracksuit trousers look _old_.

The gohei are the zigzag paper strips hanging in front. Kokonoe's are red; most others have been white even on a red tsuna.

Actually that might be why Kokonoe’s struck me as different. Anybody knows why the gohei is red?