Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Wakanosato in 2015

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is in store for Wakanosato in 2015?

• He will retire!
    • He will have at least 4 bashos ranked in Makunouchi (no retirement)
    • He will have 2 or 3 bashos ranked in Makunouchi (no retirement)
    • He will have just 1 basho ranked in Makunouchi (no retirement)
    • He will have 6 bashos ranked in Juryo
    • He will drop to Makushita at some stage in 2015 - and won't retire
  2. 2. When will Wakanosato retire?

• Jan / Feb 2015
    • Mar / Apr 2015
    • Jun / Jul 2015
    • Aug / Sep 2015
    • Nov / Dec 2015
    • He won't retire in 2015!
  3. 3. How many kachikoshis (8 or more wins in Juryo/Makunouchi or 4 or more wins in the lower divisions) will Wakanosato get in 2015?

For those with a long memory, the very first annual poll (although checking, I see that the annual Hakuho poll started at the same time - and continues to this day...) was back in December 2004, was about when would Kaio retire. He managed to avoid retiring (and confounding many polls for several years), until he finally called it a day in 2011.

As it is the 10th anniversary of that first poll, I'd like to do one on a similar line. After considering some candidates, (and excluding Kyokutenho, as there is already a poll for him for 2015), I think the most interesting candidate is Wakanosato. At his peak, he was a sanyaku regular, and regarded as a potential Ozeki. However, he spent most of last year in Juryo. He will likely be ranked at the very top of Juryo in January, so will have a good chance of returning to Makunouchi during 2015.

He will turn 39 years old in 2015....

Please also predict his highest rank for 2015 (excluding January 2015, as this will be known before the poll closes), and his rank (if any) on the January 2016 banzuke.

Edited by Jejima

I'll be really surprised if he doesn't retire, to be honest... (then again, I said that last year too).

Retire in Aug / September, 1 KK until then, highest rank excluding January 2015 will be J4e and his precise rank for Jan 2016 will be Toshiyori.

Edited by krindel

Surprised me by making it through 2014

Will retire during/after Natsu basho, with no KK in 2015, but I will be rooting for him succeed regardless

2 or 3 bashos in Makunouchi

He won't retire!

4 KKs

Jan 2016 - M14W

I think he will have his sole kk at Hatsu 2015 (8-7 with a little help from his friends...)

his highest rank in 2015 will be M15w at Haru 2015.

from then it is a make-koshi farewell tour which will conclude with his

intai at Aki 2015

It is time to re-examine what we thought at the end of last year for this year.

Wakanosato retired on 3rd September 2015. His record for the first four bashos of the year was: 5-10, 6-9, 5-10, 4-11 so a total of zero KKs for 2015.

chishafuwaku got all three questions correct, and is awarded the (Yusho winner...) yusho!

• Like 1