Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Wakanohana III wanted to refuse yokozuna promotion

Masaru Hanada made another confession on TV:
As Wakanohana III he accepted yokozuna promotion only because he got the promise from his parents that they would then let him retire, after they had initially forced him to enter sumo to look over his younger brother Takanohana, who sumo-wise was always the number one.
07518819.jpg
http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/gossip/2014/11/21/0007518818.shtml

The most loved rikishi (ever?) apparently from start to finish hated to do sumo.

• Like 2

Ok, that's why he didn't won any yusho after his promotion... just to retire sooner.

And yes, Wakahanada then, was the reason why I kept watching sumo.

Ok, that's why he didn't won any yusho after his promotion... just to retire sooner.

I don't think you ever saw him fight as Wakahanada though...he only used that name until 1993.

It's weird, in his autobiography ("Strong spirit"), he explained that he joined ozumo to protect his younger brother. He didn't write that his parents forced him. Plus, I read an Sumo World issue (march 1981 if I remember correctly) that Takanohana I didn't want force his sons to do ozumo.

I don't think you ever saw him fight as Wakahanada though...he only used that name until 1993.

Not on ES, of course. One former couch of me intruduced my to this sport and we watch some (english) videos. Wakanohana was the only one I could recognize within all those strange faces. His expression (he looked like someone who fall asleep), his well definded and muscular upper tights (which showed me that not all sumotori per definition are just fat) and his movements/techiques made it easy to recognize him. So I memorized the name Wakahanada and rooted for him. And was soon afterwards very confused not to find his name anymore, but someone who looks quite the same, with a different but similar name. Yeah... was young, watching a strange and confusing foreign sport and didn't want to ask stupid questions. Couldn't imagine that someone just changes his name as an active sportsman.

• Like 1

Not on ES, of course. One former couch of me intruduced my to this sport and we watch some (english) videos. Wakanohana was the only one I could recognize within all those strange faces. His expression (he looked like someone who fall asleep), his well definded and muscular upper tights (which showed me that not all sumotori per definition are just fat) and his movements/techiques made it easy to recognize him. So I memorized the name Wakahanada and rooted for him. And was soon afterwards very confused not to find his name anymore, but someone who looks quite the same, with a different but similar name. Yeah... was young, watching a strange and confusing foreign sport and didn't want to ask stupid questions. Couldn't imagine that someone just changes his name as an active sportsman.

Fascinating! That's exactly what happened to me!