Sign in to follow this  
Yukinohana

Hello there...

I have been lurking this forums for a while ( since around the time Yokozuna Harumafuji sealed his promotion with that nailbiting bout against Yokozuna Hakuho ). Figured that i'd have to create an account and introduce myself in a proper fashion.

My name is Ferdinand, named after the founder of a certain German car manufacturer, hailing from the small nation of the Netherlands, aged 25. I've been watching sumo on and off since they were airing reruns on Eurosport, watching in awe of the feats done by Takanohana, Akebono, Musashimaru ( he was still an Ozeki when i started watching ) and others I was pretty sad when they stopped it...i was always in awe as a young boy on how these living mountains could move like the wind and still have such strength...back then i did not understand, so at that point , it was just another form off...entertainment i guess.

Let's go about 10 years forward. Minding my own business on the internet when, as if fate decreed it, i stumbled upon a sportslink saying ''old veteran claims first title''. Being the curious person i am, i clicked on it and i immediately saw the name Kyokutenho..and it all came back to me. You can guess what the remainder of the day was spend on!
But now i was older, and more curious. I wanted to know WHY these great men of times gone by did what they do, and how. I spend countless evenings searching for every scrap of information i could find, from the basics of keiko till the prebout rituals, all while watching Araibira's/Kintamayama's Youtube channels in the meantime...and my love for Sumo was re-ignited with a burning passion.
I do not claim to be an expert of sumo, my knowledge is far from the level of a lot of you people here, but i try what i can and i am happy to explain sumo-do to everyone in my surroundings in the best way i can possibly do if they ask me why.
Sadly, i didn't visit Japan yet because my health doesn't allow it yet..but if the oppurtunity arises, i will gladly take it. However it's very expensive and i know little to nothing about the Japanese language and customs and i do not want to make a fool out of myself. That's the short end of it.
For me, Ozumo is not a sport...it is witnessing Japanese culture and tradition from another era...with training methods that seem obsolete for a lot of people, but still trainign methods that should never be drasticly altered...maybe i see things wrong and i understand if people here disagree with me..but for me, it's not a sport i compare with football, Tennis, softball or anything else.
  • Like 7

Welcome from another newbie! I, too, have a lot to learn about the intricacies of the sport, and a lot of new rikishi to learn about. I'm still raving about Chiyonofuji...but then, who wouldn't? :-)

Welcome to the forum, Ferdinand, and hope you have a great time here!

(Welcome...)

Hello Ferdinand, I am new to this forum but your introduction struck me because it could be my sumo-story too... watching the Eurosport reruns, seeing Musashimaru's promotion to Yokozuna, watching Taka and Waka in their glory days... seeing Dejima oshidashi Akebono... just loving Mainoumi... the great Ozeki battles at the time Asashoryu was Ozeki... and then Eurosport stopped showing sumo and I lost contact with what was going on, until this year... and seeing, to my surprise, both Aminishiki and Kyokutenho still there in the top ranks more than ten years later!

Needless to say I am a big fan of them both. It takes a lot to be up there, and it takes even more to stay up there.

As European surrounded by people who don't know Japanese culture, it's sometimes hard to show enthousiasm for sumo. It is difficult to find others who understand it's a way of life as well as the preservation of ancient traditions, and watching it is to partake in a celebration.

Bedankt en tot ziens!

And welcome to another new member. It's going to be pretty sleepy around here, because the last tournament just ended, and the aftermath has also been largely talked out. Hopefully you stick around long enough for people to start creeping back in and posting more as the date for the new banzuke approaches.

Edited by Asameshimae