Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

GTB Kyushu'd have been there!- 2014!

Ring drrring.. Ring driiing..

Kakuryuu: "Boss?"

Hakuhou: "Didn't you see my yusho interview where I specifically said I am going to take a long rest??"

K: "Oh, is this a bad time?"

H: "When you call me on my house phone at 10 PM, it's not usually a good time."

K: "We need to talk about the elephant in the room.."

H: "Oh, you mean Harumafuji's pimples? Yes, they are getting worse.."

K: "No, no, sir, the elephant? The big guy? The side-shifting monster?"

H: "Oh, the kid.. He's harmless. The fact that he pulled a fast one on you while you were asleep at the line just two days after he did it on Kise doesn't make him a monster. It just makes you look bad. He's a good kid.."

K: "What are you, his grandfather? This guy can cause us much trouble.."

H: "You are such a wuss sometimes. I was having such a great time making fun of Harumafuji's new eye-patch and now you're bumming me out.."

K : "Boss, wake up. If this is how good he is after the first basho, what can stop him in six months?"

H: "Come on, everyone has a weakness.. Remember Baruto after we learned he was scared of clowns??"

K: "Sure, that was fun, but this guy.. I am scared of HIM... His head makes a shadow three times bigger than me.."

H: "OK, this is getting boring. We'll give him some love treatment at keiko and maybe spike his lemonade with some low-grade sake or maybe prank-call him and ask him to turn on the water tap to see if there's water, and when he says there is we ask him if he was expecting Ginger Ale. . Hahahaha, that would be fun-neeee!!. Now go to bed. Everything will be fine in the morning.. and remember, no one is to mention the number 32 in my presence in the near future!!"

K: "OK. Now, about Tochinoshin.."

Click.

Ichinojou: "I was asked to present the GTB invitation-I am very honored to be able to do this:

Rules: Guess the Banzuke. Simple.

Tiebreakers - Most total guesses, then, we check the banzuke backwards - getting the lower half right will be more important now. The most correct guesses in the last ten places will win the tiebreaker. If still tied , we go up a ranking at a time like a penalty shootout. Then we give Oosunaarashi the elbow.
It's up to you to check if you are on the list of entries. It's going to be your fault if you don't notice that your entry went missing in the Internet void. No late entries will be accepted ."

For rules, standings and how to grow big and strong without eating with your mouth full:
http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

For the entry form:
http://sumodb.sumoga...b/GTBEntry.aspx

For the "new" archives:
http://sumodb.sumoga...gtbarchive.aspx

Living in a Ger:
http://www.ger-many.com

Deadline- MONDAY, OCTOBER 20th , 2014 at 18:00 GMT (Giant Monster Time") - PLEASE NOTE-THIS IS ONE WEEK BEFORE THE OFFICIAL BANZUKE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Kintamayama, Doitsuyama, Andoreasu(no yama) and Andre the Giant

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8

Hahaha... Thanks, Kinta. I was waiting for your 'Ring drrring' piece. A basho is not complete without this gem of yours. Great!

• Like 1

I think there's a group of people (which includes me) who finalize their guess the next day before the entry page is even set up and enter right away, then there's most everyone else who just kinda waits around until the last minute and gets it in right before it's due. Especially after last basho I know that I should wait for the kyujo announcements before making most of my pre-basho picks and thus have to stack them all up on the last day, that doesn't really make much sense for a document that's presumably already finalized.

Which makes me wonder: if someone decides to retire (or is dismissed) after the banzuke is made and they can't just remake the entire thing without them, they will leave that spot blank and it will be obvious where that person would be. How is this handled by GTB? This can't be the situation that makes everyone wait for the last minute so that they can change their entry to "none" as you don't get any points for correctly guessing "none". Is it treated the same as all the other blank spaces?

That last part also made me wonder about randomly throwing low KK Juryo people into the blank portions of the bottom of the banzuke, but I'm guessing the entry page strictly enforces a 42 rikishi entry count with no duplicates. Are emailed entries without exactly 42 all-unique rikshi also summarily rejected, or could I theoretically intentionally humor you with a supernumerary M18e Seiro and not have it matter?

Regularly retired rikishi won't be blanked out, only the bad boys.

That last part also made me wonder about randomly throwing low KK Juryo people into the blank portions of the bottom of the banzuke, but I'm guessing the entry page strictly enforces a 42 rikishi entry count with no duplicates. Are emailed entries without exactly 42 all-unique rikshi also summarily rejected, or could I theoretically intentionally humor you with a supernumerary M18e Seiro and not have it matter?

Fully automated as you guessed, so yes, emailed entries with more than 42 entries are summarily rejected, even in winter. There is no such thing as a blank rank unless you've been disgraced, so it is a moot point.

In any case, a guy retiring after the banzuke is made is ranked where he was placed on said banzuke before retiring.

Edited by Kintamayama

I always do the last minute job and it has cost me dearly but I never learn....

Still 30 hours to go - only 46 54 entries so far.. Come on..

Edited by Kintamayama

Have to do it tomorrow after work, racing against the deadline as so often.

Racing against the deadline is my problem, too.

Therefore, I always enter a placeholder guess on senshuraku.

This first draft will be revised in several attempts until I enter my final guess on the last entry day ;-)

Number 99 is in the books. Surprise newcomer wins it, with quite a margin!! Asashosakari- 4th win. Congratulations!! (As a side note, he would never have won it in my day..). Incredible. Gooner is the leader in the overall un-banzuke. What I'm happy about the most is that a lot of new players from last basho have continued to play. We had 68 players- we've had better, but it's a good number-one more and we would have turned over.. And now, the 100th basho. EVERYONE (including me) will be asked to play- a lot of PR will be done, and a special prize will be handed out to the winner!! Stay tuned!!

Buddy Milestones:

Gaijingai- 80th basho

Kaiowaka- 60th basho

Bill- 50th basho

Shimodahito-50th basho

Oskanohana- 30th Basho

Special thanks to Gyoji Andoreasu and Gyoji Doitsuyama for their perseverance and hard work.. So now, get ready for the 100th basho of GTB!! Thanks for playing, congrats to Asashosakari and now, on with the BA-show!!

To see how you did:

http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Bah, 15-0 and I still lost the overall top spot...doubt that's ever happened before. Them's the breaks when the result dropping off from last year is also a 15-0, I guess. No matter, a yusho's a yusho! (First prize...)

• Like 1

Congratulations, Pierre...a superb effort there. I've often wondered who Gooner is, incidentally - and wondered why he/she doesn't play any of the other games. Could be formidable!

Gooner actually posted once, some eons ago. Maybe regaining the top spot in such dramatic fashion will get him to come by again. ;-)

In the same vein, anybody know who Okisuruga is?

• Like 1

Congratulations, Pierre...a superb effort there. I've often wondered who Gooner is, incidentally - and wondered why he/she doesn't play any of the other games. Could be formidable!

when it comes to GTB, he's definitely not a goner...

Gooner actually posted once, some eons ago. Maybe regaining the top spot in such dramatic fashion will get him to come by again. ;-)

There is an ongoing investigation as to who he really is. There is a hint that he is playing with two different shikona, thereby breaking the rules, but we shall see.

Congratulations to Asashosakari who is now tied for second place with Mariohana, Susanoo and new leader Gooner on the GTB yusho list. Like last basho there are four changes to the top ten, but I'm pleased to note that Ganzohnesushi is not among them, at last managing to hold his place in the green ranks after five earlier one-basho visits.

Bafa's seven-basho run in the top ten ends thanks to a second consecutive kyujo, while Kaiomitsuki's six-basho run is also over thanks to a make-koshi. Seki Haruaki and Tamanaogijima drop back out after a one-basho visit. Replacing them are four returnees. Ullishimaru returns for the first time since 2011 Nagoya, while Susanoo is back after a two-basho gap. Jakusotsu bounces straight back in after a one-basho gap, and Pandaazuma does the same for a third stab at tenth place.

Feginowaka now has the two longest streaks inside the top ten ranks, holding the record with a run of 26 basho and now an ongoing run of 22 basho.

Now that I'm out of the top spot I finally had a self-serving reason to get my GTB rankings preview spreadsheet up to date. Here are the current top 10 players (as of post-Kyushu), as well as the provisional top 20 as of post-Hatsu - the points actually scored in the Hatsu competition will still be added, of course:

1 5.655 Gooner 4.463 1

2 5.575 Asashosakari 4.379 2

3 5.508 Okisuruga 4.244 3

4 5.420 Feginowaka 4.185 5

5 5.342 Sukubidubidu 4.226 4

6 5.313 Susanoo 4.103 7

7 5.126 Ullishimaru 4.130 6

8 5.102 Jakusotsu 3.896 10

9 5.086 Ganzohnesushi 3.992 8

10 4.919 Pandaazuma 3.814 13

---

11 4.902 Momijibasi 3.831 12

12 4.879 Kaiomitsuki 3.744 20

13 4.875 Yubinhaad 3.797 15

14 4.841 Konosato 3.862 11

15 4.840 Tamanaogijima 3.779 18

16 4.832 Shimanoumi 3.782 17

20 4.768 Kitakachiyama 3.810 14

23 4.741 Chishafuwaku 3.784 16

35 4.518 Miyabivince 3.949 9

41 4.298 Smoczayama 3.758 19

Miyabivince and Smoczayama are both carrying a zero-pointer as their oldest result which will drop off if they compete next time, hence the possibility of them making a big jump.

Shimanoumi and Kitakachiyama were kosho this basho and will have to compete for Hatsu, the other 18 players could elect to be absent and maintain their current total points.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Like last basho there are four changes to the top ten, but I'm pleased to note that Ganzohnesushi is not among them, at last managing to hold his place in the green ranks after five earlier one-basho visits.

Yes, finally I managed to stay in the green ranks. Last time even a 9-6 (substituting a 6-9!) was not enough to survive. Now there is small hope to stay there a few more tournaments...

Ganzohnesushi

"Ranking System
The ranking system is based on the performance of the last six bashos.
Total points and places of the last six bashos are converted to ranking points which result in the rank."

Asashosakari, can you give us the formula for calculating the values ​​that make the ranking?

chishafuwaku

your GTB points divided by the average GTB points of all players = your base score for the basho

total ranking points = 1.0 * base score of the last basho + 0.9 * second-last basho + ... + 0.5 * sixth-last basho

• Like 1

There is an ongoing investigation as to who he really is. There is a hint that he is playing with two different shikona, thereby breaking the rules, but we shall see.

Any news about this Investigation?

Any news about this Investigation?

I actually meant Gooner.