Sign in to follow this  
Washuyama

Moto-Wakanoho sighting (sort of)

Very interesting... I would guess that a rikishi's strong points should fit well with the defensive tackle position, but then again, you never know until you try!

I wish him good luck, I always thought that his dismissal was too harsh a decision, given his age at the time of the incident.

This is going to be a HUGE jump in competition for him, though. Kinda like jumping straight from Jonidan to sanyaku. I wish him the best and will follow USF a little closer next season.

Was watching a University of South Florida football game tonight and was wondering if Wakanoho was still on the team. A quick search came upon this article posted online a couple weeks ago. A little lengthy, but it lets us know what he's been up to recently.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/8/28/6077961/sumo-wrestler-soslan-gagloev-nfl-profile

(If the mods feel this belongs elsewhere, feel free to move. I just thought it would get more visibility here.)

• Like 4

He still seems to have leg flexibility. I don't know much about NFL, would tachiai speed be helpful in his position?

It a great threat topic, I would be interested to know about the careers, sporting or otherwise of other rikishi after leaving sumo. I saw a doco on Asashoryu and his property development in Mongolia.

For the lineman positions mentioned in the article, the sumo tachi-ai is very similar to the start of each play.

For the lineman positions mentioned in the article, the sumo tachi-ai is very similar to the start of each play.

Only, you're wearing so much padding that the risk of injury is far lower.

For an offensive lineman, a henka would be absolutely out of the question, though.

• Like 1

Actually, a pulling guard is a henka by a lineman; he just has the center or tackle fill the space for him.

Having read the article, I think he does not come across at all as someone considerate about the fuss was created around him and not aware of the Japanese culture at all to take a blame even if you are not at all at fault. Wish him luck in his endeavors but he is hardly missed at all by anyone.

Having read the article, I think he does not come across at all as someone considerate about the fuss was created around him and not aware of the Japanese culture at all to take a blame even if you are not at all at fault. Wish him luck in his endeavors but he is hardly missed at all by anyone.

Except by those who would have liked to see his raw power, talent and physique shaped into something unique by fascinating clashes with the top of the top, where he - incidentally - just had arrived before "culture" caught up with him. I'm still sorry for the lad.

Actually, a pulling guard is a henka by a lineman; he just has the center or tackle fill the space for him.

Or not. This isn't done to avoid the defenders entirely -- which really would make it equivalent to a sumo tachi-ai henka -- but so as to provide blocking for a running back.

Edited by Kuroyama