Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Aki 2014 Basho Comments

Day 1 - Tochiozan looked genki against Chiyootori. Left hand/thumb looked heavily bandaged. He may have a problem getting a grip with it.

- and Aminishiki looked very tentative against Ikioi. He is probably not ready for this basho.

Edited by Asojima

4 hatakikomi in 4 final bouts of the day? I wonder... can't wait to see how that happened...

B.S. henka from Terunofuji.

That was a classic henka by Terunofuji. He dissed his man with the back stretch,then the henka! Superb stuff.

• Like 4

Well, today didn't go as I had hoped. Losses for Endo, Jokoryu and Chiyotairyu. At least Ikioi won.

The sanyaku guys decided it's hatakikomi no hi - the 4 last bouts today and 5 of today's 7 bouts with sanyaku rikishi involved were decided by hatakikomi - and these were by the way the only hatakikomi kimarite in Makuuchi today!

The unanimous choice for hatakikkomi highlight of the day was of course Koto-"El Toro"-giku and his brainfart against "Torero-nofuji", who just went "olé! here goes the raging bull!"

Edited by kuroimori

I visited Isegahama heya in late August, and watched some incredible keiko there (my first such heya visit).

Terunofuji was occasionally training some sort of slap-down during that visit. Based on today, I'd say he almost perfected it. For such size I think its quite impressive.

I hope the big guy does not mind me sharing this...

• Like 1

Lots of people changed mawashi colors this basho it seems. Okinoumi, Jokoryu and as previously noted elsewhere on this site, Kisenosato.

• Like 1

That was a classic henka by Terunofuji. He dissed his man with the back stretch,then the henka! Superb stuff.

What the hell did he want to 'dis' Kotoshogiku for?

Crappy stuff!

• Like 1

Superb? That was disgusting.
  • Like 1

ALAKTORN, on 14 Sept 2014 - 09:19, said:
ronnie, on 14 Sept 2014 - 04:08, said:

An exceptionally well executed henka is a sight to be savored. :-P

• Like 5

Now that I think about it, Terunofuji pulled a henka on Gagamaru during the jungyō practice too. Then Gagamaru attempted it back, and that was hilarious.

@Asojima: Terunofuji went out of his way to mock Kotoshōgiku. I don’t know why the stretch was necessary.

• Like 1

Kotoshougiku was paid handsomely by the Kyokai to take a dive. George Smith told me.

• Like 7

Kotoshougiku was paid handsomely by the Kyokai to take a dive. George Smith told me.

Touché!

Teronofuji is one of my favourite rikishi and to be honest i did not expect this from him... on the level that he is at the moment and the talent that he has, he doesnt need henka to win matches. Lets see if he keeps doing this kind of BS ahead...

• Like 1

Was there an interview of Terunofuji afterward that asked him when he decided to mime Kotoshogiku's chest stretch and when he decided to henka? It almost seems to me it was all part of a psychological ploy to defeat the Ozeki that was planned well in advance.

Henka has always been a part of sumo and legal; sure, people can discuss the validity, spirit of the act and their own morally charged view about it but it remains as valid as any kimarite (although, like the name suggests, it's not a kimarite but rather a strategic change of flow/move to set up a kimarite proper).

Said it better than myself: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13872&p=131573

• Like 1

Amen.

As usual, the blame is all put in the wrong place. As long as rikishi keep throwing themselves forward off balance, henka remains a smart play. Why in the world should anyone be expected to fall in line with his opponent's strategy and stay where he wants him?

• Like 2

As usual, the blame is all put in the wrong place. As long as rikishi keep throwing themselves forward off balance, henka remains a smart play. Why in the world should anyone be expected to fall in line with his opponent's strategy and stay where he wants him?

The fans pay good money. They don't want to see any punk-ass henka.

Thick skin is underrated.

• Like 1

The fans pay good money. They don't want to see any punk-ass henka.

It was a good strat. Koto got owned by himself.

Thick skin is underrated.

Patience is overrated.

• Like 1

Was there an interview of Terunofuji afterward that asked him when he decided to mime Kotoshogiku's chest stretch and when he decided to henka? It almost seems to me it was all part of a psychological ploy to defeat the Ozeki that was planned well in advance.

Yes there was and he was looking totally embarrassed and said it was a spur of the moment move. As for the chest-stretch, maybe a it's a new "thing" for him and he will be doing it all the time from now on, like Kotoyuuki's cough or Asahishou's salt throw..