Sign in to follow this  
Suisunoyama

Historical Sumo

Dear Sumo Forum list members,

Looking through a local archive of Japanese slides from the Meiji period, we found a slide that was labelled (the German equivalent of) "Sumo in Nagasaki 1899." It shows a dohyo with sumo wrestlers, surrounded by a large group of local onlookers.

Will attach image ---

Does anyone know anything about sumo performances in Nagasaki at that time? Were there annual events - or semi-permanent performances? Any useful resources on Meiji period sumo?

Thanks for any information!

Suisunoyama

post-4915-0-18892400-1408623327_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I just purchased a scanner to scan many carousels of slides from my parent's home. The device was also able to scan a couple of sumo lantern slides that I received a number of years ago.

The first is Yokozuna Umegatani's dohyo iri.

larger image http://i.imgur.com/Ws3mhAN.jpg

post-1759-0-55299600-1409510319_thumb.jp

Edited by Obana
  • Like 6

The lantern slide of Umegatani's dohyo iri is the basis for Yoshitoshi's wood block print from the series, Kinsei jinbutsu shi (Lives of Modern People), a supplement of the Yamato shimbun published in 1887.

• Like 6

The lantern slide of Umegatani's dohyo iri is the basis for Yoshitoshi's wood block print from the series, Kinsei jinbutsu shi (Lives of Modern People), a supplement of the Yamato shimbun published in 1887.

Thanks for the great images!

^I’m not sure why you say you had to delete it? If for some reason it won’t let you post more pictures you can upload them to http://www.imgur.com or any such website and then post the link. The link you posted there gives me a “403 Forbidden” error and I can’t see it.

Also, I had no idea there was “female sumō”. Is that still a thing?

土俵入 士力總出 渡米歸朝石山女角力

A small flaw in converting old right to left into new left to right...

It's 力士 off course.

BTW I didn't know 角力 as a writing alternative for 相撲.