Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Yokozuna/ Ozeki preparations Aki 2014

Freshly Ozekied Goueidou will miss the whole Natsu jungyo due to his left knee injury. He has a one-month pass health certificate due to that meniscus injury.

Methinks expectations will be lowered for his Ozeki debut in September.

• Like 1

Think it would be too obvious if he finishes 7-8 but doesn't end up kadoban?

Think it would be too obvious if he finishes 7-8 but doesn't end up kadoban?

They could just reinstate kosho while they are at it

• Like 1

Ozeki Kisenosato shined at the Niigata jungyo yesterday. This is his mother's home town, so he was extra-active. After having thirteen bouts, he called out Oosunaarashi and gave him a thrashing for six straight minutes, rolling him into the ground time and again, picking him up by the scruff of his neck and throwing him down again until he was totally exhausted. All the while, the smile never left Kisenosato's face..4000 fans were thrilled to see the action. "It wasn't kawaigari (love treatment).. It was far from it," he explained, stressing the fact that he really wasn't trying too hard, smiling even more. "That was bad-ass.. the Ozeki is really strong.. It's much more fun to just watch him, but doing it- not so much.." said Oosunaarashi, crawling off the dohyo, breathing very heavily.

Then, Kisenosato turns to Endou. "You!! Lend me your chest for butsugari" he roared. "I hope I'll survive.." muttered Endou, lending his chest for the first time ever to a top ranker. Kisenosato rammed into him so hard he will never forget it. "I was really surprised.. It felt like my body was blown to smithereens.." said Endou later. He braved the Ozeki's onslaught as best as he could."Our business is to get these high flying, quick rising young guys into shape and face reality, I reckon, " Kisenosato sort of said.

Asked later how it felt: "It's a plus!!" said Oosunaarashi. "I thought the Ozeki was terrific. It was a great experience and a great honor, " said Endou.

Head of Jungyo Oguruma Oyakata: "Now, that's what we want to see. It wasn't just showing up, there was real sweating!! It was real keiko!!"

sp-ya-140810-kisenosato-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 10

Hakuhou at the summer jungyo two days ago in Yamagata, Nagai-shi. His first appearance on the dohyo this jungyo. He had only 4 bouts against Toyonoshima but showed off some hearty moves, culminating with a rowdy yobimodoshi, sending Toyonoshima to pick up his own pieces. The crowd went wild. "I was actually going for that. We are mingling with the people, eating tasty food, and getting a bit of a sunburn," summed the Yokozuna. At first, he had no intention of doing any sumo but "I was doing some shiko and my body was all warmed up, so I figured, what the heck.. I didn't have a lot of bouts but it's jungyo and I think I was able to show some stuff.." he explained somewhat later.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

Freshly Ozekied Goueidou will miss the whole Natsu jungyo due to his left knee injury. He has a one-month pass health certificate due to that meniscus injury.

Goueidou resumed training yesterday. He did shiko, teppo and exercises of flexibility. "I'm still taking it easy. The pain is mostly gone. I won't hurry it and slowly rehabilitate myself," he explained. His treatment includes acupuncture, low frequency waves and ultrasonic waves. "My target is to be able to do sumo by the end of the month," he summed.

sum14081910000001-p1.jpg

• Like 4

Tsunauchi were held at the heya of all three Yokozuna over the last few days, creating the tsuna which they will wear for both the Aki and Kyushu basho.

At Miyagino-beya, Hakuho checks out his new tsuna in a mirror.

Tsunauchi01_Hakuho.jpg

Tsunauchi02.jpg

A shot of his double-loop Shiranui tsuna.

Tsunauchi03.jpg

Excess rope is cut off and into small pieces, which are given as gifts to the Yokozuna's supporters, heya koenkai members and so on.

Tsunauchi04.jpg

Kakuryu also checking out his new tsuna at Izutsu-beya. This is the first chance he has had to do this at the actual heya, as his previous tsuna was made at their Osaka lodgings right after the Haru basho.

Tsunauchi05_Kakuryu.jpg

In other news, Kakuryu will visit Tokyo's Tomioka Hachiman shrine on the morning of October 7th. His name will be added to the Yokozuna monument located there and he will perform a dohyo-iri, as Harumafuji did last year.

• Like 3

Goueidou had his first serious training session (after becoming Ozeki and getting injured) on August 28th at Sakaigawa beya. No tape on the left knee, just a supporter. "Don't overdo it!!" shouted his Oyakata during the session. He trained against Sandanme opponents, starting off hesitantly by hitting from the shikiri line (which does NOT stop in Ueno) a few times and slowly furthered the distance till he reached the other side of the dohyo (wow, this stuff is strong..) "It went smoother than I thought. At the beginning I was a bit apprehensive but as I realized I have no pain at all my apprehension gradually subsided. I'm not totally relieved, but at least I've made some progress at this point," he said in perfect Japanese to my high-brow yet carefully carved out translation. A few weeks ago he was still having trouble just walking about. When the guys went to eat out at night he ordered take outs because he simply couldn't walk. "Not good.." he said back then. "I think I'm doing OK. It looks like it won't be a 'buttsuke honban' (which means 'going on stage without rehearsals', i.e.entering the basho without enough preparation) after all.." he added, optimistically.

"Boogaboogabooga- you are getting tired.."

sp-goei-140829000-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

I did not know there were random perks to being Ozeki like "being able to enter and leave through the basement parking area at Ryogoku Kokugikan." That seems extremely odd. Does anyone know what other kinds of things there are that are alluded to in that article?

Does anyone know what other kinds of things there are that are alluded to in that article?

"Error establishing a database connection" (That's what my browser tells me when I click the link.)

But my guess would be: one of the perks being Ozeki is extended back-scratching.

• Like 2

Kisenosato went for degeiko to Tagonoura beya today did keiko at home today where he faced a visiting Joukouryuu and others and went 19-1. The quality was good, says the reporter. 16 of the bouts were against new Komusubi Joukouryuu, where he showed a lot of power both in oshi and tsuki, totally overwhelming him. "My opponent has great fighting spirit and is quite skilled. It turned out to be good keiko. I have no fatigue and was able to do everything I set out to do," he said. At the beginning Joukouryuu managed to yorikiri Kisenosato with great footwork but after that he couldn't get his favorite migi-yotsu grip and the difference in power was clearly evident. "My stamina is lacking. Winning one bout really isn't something to write home about," said Joukouryuu..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Kisenosato went for degeiko to Tagonoura beya today where he faced Joukouryuu and others and went 19-1. The quality was good, says the reporter. 16 of the bouts were against new Komusubi Joukouryuu, where he showed a lot of power both in oshi and tsuki, totally overwhelming him. "My opponent has great fighting spirit and is quite skilled. It turned out to be good keiko. I have no fatigue and could do everything I set out to do," he said. At the beginning Joukouryuu managed to yorikiri Kisenosato with great footwork but after that he couldn't get his favorite migi-yotsu grip and the difference in power was clearly evident. "My stamina is lacking. Winning one bout really isn't something to write home about," said Joukouryuu..

Isn't Kisenosato a member of Taganoura-beya? Did Kise-beya guys go to Taganoura, or vice versa?

Yes he is. So he couldn't have gone for degeiko.

Yes he is. So he couldn't have gone for degeiko.

Another joke went right over my head? (Kimura Zatoichi...) If only I was as tall as Kotooshu.

No, the joukouryuu is on me this time- I keep thinking Naruto beya still exists and upon seeing the word degeiko attributed to Joukouryuu, automatically thought it was degeiko at Tagonoura.

Also, my age.

Edited by Kintamayama

A few pictures from asageiko at Miyagino-beya the other day.

Miyagino01.jpg

The shisho (former Maegashira Chikubayama, left) watches over the session.

Miyagino02_Asageiko.jpg

Kiryu and Onokura prepare to start a practice bout.

Miyagino03_Kiryu_Onokura.jpg

Former Maegashira Daikiho, now down in Makushita, is now taking on Onokura.

Miyagino04_Daikiho_Onokura.jpg

And here Daikiho drives Kiryu back to the edge and out in this bout.

Miyagino05_Kiryu_Daikiho.jpg

Yokozuna Hakuho warms up with some stretches and matawari in the corner.

Miyagino06_Hakuho.jpg

Miyagino07_Hakuho.jpg

Sufficiently warmed up, Hakuho throws some salt and enters the dohyo for some practice bouts with Hokaho.

Miyagino08_Hakuho_Hokaho.jpg

Miyagino09_Hakuho_Hokaho.jpg

Miyagino10_Hakuho_Hokaho.jpg

Now a practice bout with Ishiura, who starts with a hazu-oshi attack into Hakuho's armpit.

Miyagino11_Hakuho_Ishiura.jpg

Hokaho returns as the target for some tachi-ai practice.

Miyagino12_Hakuho_Hokaho.jpg

Following the end of keiko, Hakuho gives an interview to a visiting TV crew.

Miyagino13_Hakuho.jpg

And strikes a heroic pose for a visiting photographer.

Miyagino14_Hakuho.jpg

• Like 5

Ozeki Kisenosato went to Oguruma beya for the Nishonoseki Ichimon (still called that?) rengo-keiko today, where he got to face the likes of Kakuryuu and Kotoshougiku for 19 bouts. He was 6-5 against Kakuryuu, showing some left yotsu and ottsuke and attacking well. "As I progressed, I felt better and better (he lost his first two bouts). In honbasho sumo you don't get a second chance. The outset is what counts. I'd like to get it right!!" said Kisenosato.

Yokozuna Kakuryuu had 18 bouts altogether. "My tachiai was a bit all over the place. There's still time till Day 1 so I'll be preparing seriously," he said, very seriously. The rengo-keiko will continue till the 9th.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

New Ozeki Goueidou had 17 bouts yesterday at home against Sadanoumi, winning 14 of them. This was his first bout with a sekitori in 41 days. "My vertical motion is OK. If I get used to this I think I'll somehow manage.." he said.

Speaking to his Oyakata after training and no, he didn't get a haircut.. And in the background, ex-Iwakiyama donning a mawashi.

sum14090705010001-p1.jpg

• Like 4

Yokozuna Harumafuji went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya today and faced Toyonoshima 15 times showing tsuki, oshi and other offensive tactics (including swearing loudly in French). Someone pointed out to him that his back muscles have grown. "Really?? I've been working on enlarging all my muscles, so I was hoping you would say my muscles have grown all over my body.." joked the Yokozuna. His last yusho was in Kyusho (I needed the rhyme) and this year he has not gotten even close. "I'll endure my injuries and give it my best effort," he summed, and did not use the "gambaru" verb in any form.

• Like 3

Ozeki Kisenosato is worried. The Nishonoseki rengo-keiko was held at Matsugane beya today, and he was having trouble moving about. After beating Tamawashi for six straight bouts, he had 10 bouts with new Sekiwake Takekaze and had trouble getting around Takekaze's wily tactics while revealing weakness in his back and flank and was 6-4. "My body is not moving like I want it to. I am also considerably fatigued.." he said, on the third day of the rengo-keiko.

Wily Takekaze was showing quick moves and excellent forward movement. "Overwork.. (he said in English!!). But it was good keiko!!" he said.

Kotoshougiku did not do any sumo- just some shiko, which usually means he stood around joking with the lads.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

And so it came to pass that Hakuhou and Kakuryuu went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko and decided to "take care" of Makuuchi newcomer compatriot giant Ichinojou. Hakuhou had 13 bouts against him and Kakuryuu had 7, both won them all. "It's important to go to train where there is a lot of competition. You have to get ready for the real thing.." said Hakuhou. "Look at the guy's body!! It's natural that he has quickly climbed the banzuke.." added Kakuryuu.

"I was really happy (that they trained with me) but I'm dead tired.. My tachiai is weak. It's just totally bad.." said Ichinojou.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6

Some pictures from Sadogatake-beya, which hosted the second day of the Nishonoseki rengo keiko.

Rengo01.jpg

Rengo02.jpg

Takekaze and Kotooshu-oyakata watching from the sidelines.

Rengo03_Takekaze_Kotooshu.jpg

Tatsu and former Juryo Wakanoshima have a practice bout during the Makushita part of the session.

Rengo04_Tatsu_Wakanoshima.jpg

Sadogatake-beya's own Kotoeko, who is at a new career-high rank for the fourth consecutive basho, now at Makushita 3.

Rengo05_Kotoeko.jpg

Shohozan warming up.

Rengo06_Shohozan.jpg

Kataonami-beya duo Tamawashi and Tamaasuka.

Rengo07_Tamawashi_Tamaasuka.jpg

Yoshikaze lends his chest to another Sadogatake rikishi at a career-high rank, Kotodaigo.

Rengo08_Yoshikaze_Kotodaigo.jpg

Kotoyuki gets some advice from Oguruma-oyakata (former Ozeki Kotokaze).

Rengo09_Kotoyuki_Oguruma.jpg

Arawashi and new Sekiwake Takekaze prepare for a bout, while Tamaasuka and Sakigake watch from the side.

Rengo10_Arawashi_Takekaze.jpg

Yoshikaze.

Rengo11_Yoshikaze.jpg

Kotoshogiku was warming up outside the ring with Wakaryusei.

Rengo12_Wakaryusei_Kotoshogiku.jpg

Kisenosato and Kotoshogiku prepare for a bout.

Rengo13_Kisenosato_Kotoshogiku.jpg

Rengo14_Kisenosato_Kotoshogiku.jpg

Basic exercises bring the session to an end.

Rengo15_End.jpg

And so it came to pass that Hakuhou and Kakuryuu went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko and decided to "take care" of Makuuchi newcomer compatriot giant Ichinojou. Hakuhou had 13 bouts against him and Kakuryuu had 7, both won them all. "It's important to go to train where there is a lot of competition. You have to get ready for the real thing.." said Hakuhou. "Look at the guy's body!! It's natural that he has quickly climbed the banzuke.." added Kakuryuu.

"I was really happy (that they trained with me) but I'm dead tired.. My tachiai is weak. It's just totally bad.." said Ichinojou.

And a few pictures from that session.

Tokitsukaze01_Ichinojo.jpg

Tokitsukaze02_Ichinojo.jpg

Asasekiryu, Kakuryu and Hakuho share a joke.

Tokitsukaze03_Kakuryu.jpg

Kakuryu warming up with the rubber tubing, held by his tsukebito Ichiryu.

Tokitsukaze04_Ichiryu_Kakuryu.jpg

Hakuho gets some water from the new Chikaramizu 5000 dispenser, which will replace the old wooden pails from this basho maybe not really.

Tokitsukaze05_Hakuho.jpg

Kakuryu and Ichinojo have a bout, watched by Hakuho and the heya sekitori Sotairyu and Toyonoshima.

Tokitsukaze06_Kakuryu_Ichinojo.jpg

Kakuryu watching now as Ichinojo has a bout with Toyonoshima.

Tokitsukaze07_Kakuryu.jpg

Butsugari-keiko for the rookie, as Kakuryu lends his chest.

Tokitsukaze08_Butsugari.jpg

Tokitsukaze09_Butsugari.jpg

• Like 8

Goueidou faced Sadanoumi again yesterday at home-18 bouts, winning 15, but visibly not doing too well. The knee was taped and he had trouble countering his opponent's uwatenage attempts, and was even on his hands and knees a few times. "I'm still not 'feeling' my knee.. I hope to lose all my anxiety by day 1," he said, looking worried. Ex-Yokozuna Kitanoumi was visiting, and having had the same kind of injury during his active days, said that it looks like Goueidou needs another month of healing.

• Like 3

From Ichinojou's initiation by the Yokozunae:

sc-sumo-nt140909-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3