Sign in to follow this  
Chiyozakura

Tegata translation needed

Hi there,

Can someone here translate what is written on the left side of the tegata? It cam with the the shikishi board next to it.I have no idea what this is supposed to be. Any ideas? Thanks...

post-23-0-90242800-1405958864_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-78078800-1405958882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chiyozakura

The middle part looks like の皆さん. The last could be 江 used as the particle へ. This would mean "to all of..." Whatever the first 2 kanji are.

Whatever the first 2 kanji are.

The first two are 四組

Thanks! So he probably sends greetings or thanks to people of a certain city? Nishi something?

Can you also read what is on the second picture? The painiting looks really weird...

Whatever the first 2 kanji are.

The first two are 四組
Bang! Of course. Left part of 組 looked to me more like left of 秋. And the 4 more like bottom part of 面. But it's so simple.

Thanks! So he probably sends greetings or thanks to people of a certain city? Nishi something?

No, it's not nishi (west/西) it's yon (4/四) and it's not about a city. 組 (kumi or often gumi as suffix) means 'group' or 'team'. This could be for a sports team, or perhaps more likely for a school class. 'Class no. 4'. Probably a school class visiting the rikishi.

BTW, who is the rikishi actually? Can't read that part. ;-)

Can you also read what is on the second picture? The painiting looks really weird...

I can't read the second pic either. Right bottom above the stamp perhaps 好, maybe part of the artists name? Leftmost could be something like 原?南. Theese cursive scripts are mostly still way above my knowledge.

EDIT: No not 原.

EDIT 2: While I'm writing... I think that 南 is wrong. Could be an abreviated form of 関 (門 can be written as 冂 with a little devider in the top horizontal). In that case the 2 kanji beforehand might be the name of a sekitori, if this is sumorelated at all. Is it?

Edited by torquato
  • Like 1

the second one:

為偉業

金剛関

(to Kongo-zeki for [his] accomplishments?)

Edited by Senkoho

the second one:

為偉業

金剛関

(to Kongo-zeki for [his] accomplishments?)

Great! Thank you very much!

Yes, it is Kongo. I was quite lucky to get it because it came along for free with several Daikirin tegata.