Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Nagoya 2014 Discussion Thread

The judging department has voiced its disdain over Hakuhou's extra shoves. "It's not something to be proud of. If this awful stuff continues, we will have to give him a warning," said Asahiyama, deputy chief of the Judging Department. Apparently Hakuhou was pissed at Houmashou's henka attempt at the start of the match and after winning , gave him a look that sent shivers down the spines of blind acrobats in a flea circus.. "He is really strong, so there's no need for that menacing dirty look. I'd like him to act like a dai-Yokozuna in various ways," added Asahiyama.

OTOH, Kitanoumi rijicho was of a different opinion. "It wasn't that bad. He is attacking as a yokozuna should and that's good," he said.

Hakuhou himself denied the extra shove allegations. "I felt I should go all the way at the musubi no ichiban and went with a lot of vigor. I don't think it was an extra shove," he explained to the press when asked. Then, he got up and abruptly said "It's (the interview) over!!" and left the shitakubeya.

Houmashou: "I was a bit mixed up at the beginning and I guess that made the Yokozuna serious. The fact that I flew out of the dohyo is my fault..".

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

I didn't think Hakuho's final shove was particularly gratuitous. He certainly didn't need to shove him nearly as hard as he did, but it didn't appear as though the match had been definitively decided before it. Looking at the footage again, I see Homasho's right foot squarely on the tawara still and his left foot well above the ground during the shove. Hakuho could have let up a bit, but I don't fault him for ensuring his opponent had no chance to stay in the ring; if the gyoji hasn't called "shobu ari" (or whatever it is), the match is live. Assuming that someone is going to fall out when you haven't seen them touch out or heard the gyoji end the fight can lead to unnecessary losses in theory. Again, the force of the shove was certainly greater than necessary, and perhaps that's the problem, but from a competitive point of view it wasn't completely after-the-fact.

• Like 4

Hakuhou himself denied the extra shove allegations. "I felt I should go all the way at the musubi no ichiban and went with a lot of vigor. I don't think it was an extra shove," he explained to the press when asked. Then, he got up and abruptly said "It's (the interview) over!!" and left the shitakubeya.

Houmashou: "I was a bit mixed up at the beginning and I guess that made the Yokozuna serious. The fact that I flew out of the dohyo is my fault..".

Shows the character of these two men. One can do no wrong. The other is a class-act who assumes responsibility for whatever happens.

Bravo, Homasho!

• Like 3

Yoshikaze is the oldest first-time kinboshi winner in the six-basho era, at the age of 32 years, 3 months and 27 days. The previous oldest was former Komusubi Tamaryu, who was six days younger when winning his first and only kinboshi in 1986 Kyushu, against Chiyonofuji.

• Like 7

I wonder if Osunaarashi is being trained to do the forearm move. He has a huge upper body so his coaches may be looking for ways to use that strength to his advantage. I don't like it but I wonder how much is Osunaarashi and how much is coaching.

Hakuhou appears to be angry. Maybe this is his way of releasing some of the personal pressure. He always has a focused look and partial scoul but it seems to be turned up for this basho.

I wonder if Osunaarashi is being trained to do the forearm move. He has a huge upper body so his coaches may be looking for ways to use that strength to his advantage. I don't like it but I wonder how much is Osunaarashi and how much is coaching.

That's an interesting theory - after all, Osuna is only 22 years old. In that age we still very influenceable :-| And obviously he is strong enough to be succesfful this way.

Shows the character of these two men. One can do no wrong. The other is a class-act who assumes responsibility for whatever happens.

Bravo, Homasho!

Not always a fan of 3x-masu but this is spot on.

Hakuhou appears to be angry. Maybe this is his way of releasing some of the personal pressure. He always has a focused look and partial scoul but it seems to be turned up for this basho.

Last saturday, I watched again documentary about Osunaarashi and liked that his oyakata scolded him after he made an extrashove. IMHO, it's quite ironical when you consider that his forearm move at tachiai is certainly much more dangerous. I sincerly hope he'll change his tachi-ai's move.

The inevitable Ichinojo - Tochinoshin matchup should be quite interesting to watch...

OSUNAARASHI KINBOSHI!

Just saw the result on SumoDB, need to watch this asap. Kachiage again?

Kachiage again?

no kachiage.....kakuryu decided to chicken out left......but that was not enough

• Like 1

Homasho - that did not look good, he was in a lot of pain - nasty hyper extended knee by the looks. Harumafuji did not need that final push, he compounded Homasho's misery who had clearly lost by the time the yokozuna made his final manoeuver.

Kachiage again?

no kachiage.....kakuryu decided to chicken out left......but that was not enough

Just watched it and must say I am impressed. Nice technique and quickness for a change!

Keep it coming, Boody!

He definitely needs it if he wants to make it 2 konsecutive kinboshi in his first ever tries.

Don't want to jinx him, but has this been done before by anyone?

Nice, nice, Osuna! Much more like it :D He showed there's much more in him than a bully

If he gets a KK, he'll be sanyaku, for sure!

• Like 1

Where has Endō gone? Nice win by Ōsuna, didnt expect that… also cool to see Kotoshōgiku lossless.

Edited by ALAKTORN

The inevitable Ichinojo - Tochinoshin matchup should be quite interesting to watch...

and there shall be much weeping and gnashing of teeth in Chain Gang.

Edited by Senkoho
  • Like 2

I thought Kakuryu did the smart move but then it all fell apart, oops.

Edited by Oshirokita
  • Like 2

Keep it coming, Boody!

He definitely needs it if he wants to make it 2 konsecutive kinboshi in his first ever tries.

I thought Tosanoumi had two kinboshi in his first encounter, but upon double checking see that he had a loss against a Yokozuna in his debut Makuuchi basho previously.

I thought Kakuryu did the smart move but then it all fell apart, oops.

Thanks for querying this one!

As impressive as his Kyushu 1995 record looks, these were alreasy his kinboshi attempts No. 2 & 3.

He missed out on his first one on Day 11 of the Aki basho 1995 against Takanohana.

Keep it coming, Boody!

I thought Tosanoumi had two kinboshi in his first encounter, but upon double checking see that he had a loss against a Yokozuna in his debut Makuuchi basho previously.

You win the speed-typing contest! :-)

Konishiki was the last rikishi to win his first two Yokozuna bouts as Maegashira

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=1287&b=198409

Later rikishi who won their first encounter with a Yokozuna:

Akinoshima

Akebono

Musoyama

Kaio

Oginishiki

Shikishima

Chiyotenzan

Kotomitsuki

Shimotori

Chiyotairyu (last year)

Edited by Randomitsuki
  • Like 7

I really dont get all the talks about extra shove. This is competitive contact competition, dominance is displayed. I am much more interested in seeing this kind of emotions, than just plain faces ( i have no idea why its required ). Thats why i miss Asashoryu, he had life inside him.

• Like 1

You win the speed-typing contest! :-)

You won todays double posting contest. :-D However we are discussing double kinboshi...

Mod comment: double posts now deleted, in case someone's wondering...

Edited by Manekineko
  • Like 5

Where has Endō gone? Nice win by Ōsuna, didnt expect that… also cool to see Kotoshōgiku lossless.

He does not look confident at all. Not sure if it was being rushed too fast but you can see that we are not watching the same Endo.

Congratulations to Oosunaarashi on his win today. Great technique being against the edge and managing to throw Kakuryu out. That was exactly what I was talking about with regard to his upper body strength. Let's hope he focuses more on technique and less on the forearm.