Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Nagoya 2014 Discussion Thread

I was talking with some Muslim students at the local college I attend, and they told me that the Muslim guys that played in the World Cup did not fast. I don't know if that is accurate, but that's what they said. They were greatly surprised when I told them that there's a high ranked Sumo wrestler competing in a major event while fasting, especially in a sport that has something of a focus on weight.

Speaking of pedestrian, I hope Endo can turn things around next basho, I love the amount of excitement he brings to the people watching. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen someone get this much heat.

Takamisakari, of course.

I think the Endo reaction has gotten to be a bit much. The crowd goes nuts simply watching him during shikiri and then respond with almost indifference to a great scrap between guys like Takayasu and Terunofuji.

And I guess the zabuton only fly for Japanese rikishi.

• Like 1

I was talking with some Muslim students at the local college I attend, and they told me that the Muslim guys that played in the World Cup did not fast. I don't know if that is accurate, but that's what they said. They were greatly surprised when I told them that there's a high ranked Sumo wrestler competing in a major event while fasting, especially in a sport that has something of a focus on weight.

That was true, some players from the team of Germany who were muslims confirmed that too. But you can't compare football/soccer with sumo. In one you have to play at least 90 minutes on a top level, in the other you have to fight only for a couple of minutes. The physical stress to the body will be different. So, I think it is easier (not easy!) to cope with ramadan as a sumotori than as a professional football player in a championship game.

I think the Endo reaction has gotten to be a bit much. The crowd goes nuts simply watching him during shikiri and then respond with almost indifference to a great scrap between guys like Takayasu and Terunofuji.

And I guess the zabuton only fly for Japanese popular rikishi.

Edited by Tsubame

Speaking of pedestrian, I hope Endo can turn things around next basho, I love the amount of excitement he brings to the people watching. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen someone get this much heat.

Takamisakari, of course.
I remember Hagiwara getting a similar support by the crowd before he turned into Kisenosato.

Takamisakari, of course.

I think Robo's heat was different, he was a clown for most fans, and I don't think many expected him to become an Ozeki. Endo's support seems more like Takanohana's kind of support to me.

Edited by Gusoyama

That was true, some players from the team of Germany who were muslims confirmed that too. But you can't compare football/soccer with sumo. In one you have to play at least 90 minutes on a top level, in the other you have to fight only for a couple of minutes. The physical stress to the body will be different. So, I think it is easier (not easy!) to cope with ramadan as a sumotori than as a professional football player in a championship game.

I think Osunaarashi is fairly popular, and not a single zabuton flew for either of his kinboshi. I'm not saying it's because he's not Japanese, but popuarlity alone doesn't seem to do it.

Hakuho looked a little hurried, almost frenetic, maybe unwise against an opponent with defensive qualities.

day 13 upper half highlights

Ms- : Ikeru (4-2) - Chiyosakae (4-2), always in for a treat, this little one

Ms~: Tetsuyuzan (3-3) - Sasakiyama (3-3), okuritsuridashi

Ms~: Masunoumi (6-0) - Rikishin (6-0), a not so entertaining Yusho fight

Ms+: Kawabata (4-2) - Ishiura (4-2), after that opening loss against Horikiri, a 5-2 would still be great for Ishiura

J- : Daieisho (7-5) - Fujiazuma (6-6), Daieisho with 3 shots for KK

J+: Satoyama (6-6) - Sadanofuji (7-5), the latter with 3 chances for a return to Makuuchi ?

M- : Sokokurai (7-5) - Toyonoshima (8-4), the Chinese looking for a new career record

M~: Chiyotairyu (8-4) - Azumaryu (7-5), the Mongolian looking for his first ever KK on top level

M+: Endo (6-6) - Yoshikaze (5-7), 4-1 in previous meetings

S : Hakuho (11-1) - Kisenosato (8-4), 36-10 in previous encounters

A special bout tomorrow will be the first meeting between Akiseyama and Kyokutaisei since they joined mae-zumo together (as shown in that famous documentary). Fukao won back then, but I think Ogushi has more than it takes now to get revenge.

• Like 7

Yoshikaze isn't among the names that immediately come to mind when I think of "popular" rikishi.

I think Robo's heat was different, he was a clown for most fans, and I don't think many expected him to become an Ozeki.

I would say that's only true for the period of time after it became clear that he wouldn't even be a consistent joi-jin rikishi. It's not that he was ever expected to become ozeki, sure, but the first year or two after his makuuchi re-debut he was definitely getting more heat than just the clown type - it was both that and the type of attention well-known giant killers like Kotonishiki and Terao used to get, I'd say.

Yoshikaze isn't among the names that immediately come to mind when I think of "popular" rikishi.

He does have the type of exciting fighting style that tends to get a pop out of casual fans, even if they wouldn't actually recognize him in a lineup. "Popular" doesn't only have to mean "well-known" when it comes to the reactions of live audiences. Edited by Asashosakari

I think Osunaarashi is fairly popular, and not a single zabuton flew for either of his kinboshi. I'm not saying it's because he's not Japanese, but popuarlity alone doesn't seem to do it.

Osunaarashi is quite popular among the japanese fans whereas some nonjapanese fans try to yell him out of the arena. The reason no zabuton flew is probably that the crowd really was surprised and it wasn't the last bout of the day. Usually everybody keeps their zabuton until the last fight.

I would say Yoshikaze or Homasho are more popular than Goeido or Kotoshogiku (in a normal basho where they achieve 8 or 9 wins). I'm always surprised that there is so few support for Goeido or Kotoshogiku. Fortunately it changes when they fight in their home basho in Osaka or Fukuoka.

Tokushoryu's arms are so short, I think I have never paid too much attention to that, but it sure keeps him away from the mawashi, as today. Aminishiki got injured even further, sad to see. The commentator mentioned that Sokokurai has switched from his usual migi-yotsu to hidari-yotsu and this is one the things I like most about him; always improving and developing a sumo that best suits the circumstances. It wasn't enough to defeat Toyonoshima today, however a half-healthy Toyo is a rikishi of another caliber, so it's okay. It is also ok to struggle in Juryo after a looong makushita career and Wakanoshima is having that problem, but he is yet a very motivated rikishi worth-following.

Watching the unstable Masunoyama in Makuuchi frequently gave me the somewhat strange impression he would be the kind of rikishi who drops like a rock without a warning, like some car with a rattling engine. It is happening now.

Will Chiyoo ever reach Makuuchi - and a have a career there - or is he some precocious Tokushinho (level-wise) ?

• Like 1

How many more times does Goeido have to have see-saw bashos before we can anoint him as the next Wakanosato? He can be astoundingly good at times, but some days he is very pedestrian.

Is that Wakanasato's legacy? Uneven, veering from very good to pedestrian? If so -- and I'm a casual fan, so it might well be the case -- but if so, that's somewhat cruel of the sumo gods. I recall him being hailed at one time as one of the strongest and most successful sekiwake ever, before he was injured and plummeted down the ranks. Since then, of course, he's been more of a juryo mainstay, but I would have thought his sumo epitaph would be written differently.

Tokushoryu's arms are so short, I think I have never paid too much attention to that, but it sure keeps him away from the mawashi, as today.

Remember Kaido?
  • Like 1

Osunaarashi is quite popular among the japanese fans whereas some nonjapanese fans try to yell him out of the arena. The reason no zabuton flew is probably that the crowd really was surprised and it wasn't the last bout of the day. Usually everybody keeps their zabuton until the last fight.

I would say Yoshikaze or Homasho are more popular than Goeido or Kotoshogiku (in a normal basho where they achieve 8 or 9 wins). I'm always surprised that there is so few support for Goeido or Kotoshogiku. Fortunately it changes when they fight in their home basho in Osaka or Fukuoka.

Agree about Kotoshogiku. He's always been a bit under appreciated, imo. I was actually a little bit worried when he went kadoban, but now he's in the yusho race! Whodathunkit?

Assuming Hakuho v. Harumafuji, Goeido v. Kotoshogiku, and Kakuryu v. Kiseonsato on day 15, if the following happens:

Kakuryu def. Hakuho

Kotoshogiku def. Takayasu

Goeido def. Terunofuji

Hakuho def. Harumafuji

Goeido def. Kotoshogiku

Kakuryu def. Kisenosato

Takayasu def. whoever

Then there will be a 5-way tie for 12 wins.

_

If Kotoshogiku and Takayasu both lose day 15 and the following happens with the rest:

Kakuryu def. Hakuho

Terunofuji def. Goeido

Harumafuji def. Hakuho

Kiseonsato def. Kakuryu

Then the winner of the Kotoshogiku v. Takayasu match will stand alone at 12 wins.

_

Out of the 128 scenarios involving those 7 matches (128 = 2^7),

64 have a clear winner at 13-2

2 have a clear winner at 12-3 as noted above

16 have a 2-way tie at 13-2

13 have a 2-way tie at 12-3

23 have a 3-way tie at 12-3

9 have a 4-way tie at 12-3

1 is the above 5-way tie at 12-3

Obviously not all of these scenarios are equally likely. Also, it's within the realm of possibility that they decide to set Takayasu against Hakuho or some such weirdness instead of going with the clearly pre-scheduled matches.

Edited by Gurowake

Hakuho would have won a gold in an Olympic diving pool after that display. When have you ever seen him flailing around like that? Did you see the look he gave Kise at the end? Kise fecked it up leaving Hak to ham it up like an amateur.

I've been thinking for the last couple of days that this is to be Giku's yusho. Now I'm sure of it, probably after a ketteisen with Hak!

Couple of lower division newsbits. 44-year-old Hanakaze set a new record for most career wins by a non-sekitori rikishi, chalking up his 550th win on Nakabi to surpass the previous record set by Koriyama.

Shikihide-beya's Taiga has retired after a 13-year career. His danpatsu-shiki will take place on Senshuraku.

• Like 4

Shikihide-beya's Taiga has retired after a 13-year career. His danpatsu-shiki will take place on Senshuraku.

Yes, sorry to hear that, a really nice guy. He told me last basho that he would retire. His body needs some recovery and he also doesn't get along with Shikihide Oyakata. All the best for him!

a bit off-topic... day 14.... does anyone see the cool fish helmet on the guy a few rows behind the west-side salt-throw box? I'm noticing it watching the juryo matches. I need one of those!

• Like 1

Rolling Gyoji Tamamitsu is kyujo from today-injured his leg yesterday when he tripped Aminishiki.

• Like 2

Hakuho would have won a gold in an Olympic diving pool after that display. When have you ever seen him flailing around like that? Did you see the look he gave Kise at the end? Kise fecked it up leaving Hak to ham it up like an amateur.

I've been thinking for the last couple of days that this is to be Giku's yusho. Now I'm sure of it, probably after a ketteisen with Hak!

The usual remark.