Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Nagoya 2014 Discussion Thread

what's wrong with this guy?

Yeah, well, that's a good question.... We're working on it.

DB

??

Devine Benevolence?

Double Bass?

Damaged Blackberry?

Duelling Banjos?

Dribbling Basketballs?

Drooling Bozo?

Dozen Bananas?

I don't like it when sumo degenerates into a spectacle.

Like it or not, hair is an important part of sumo culture. You don't care? OK

My point is that sumo is more than just a sport.

I know that the rikishi are athletes. So what?

In the same way that professional wrestling is more than just a sport? Spectacle they both have. These two forms of entertainment may not be the Inaugural Games of The Flavian Amphitheatre, but hair is very important in each. RIP Ultimate Warrior.

Sigh. Good clip. Sadly, I think both men are dead. But great entertainers And excellent athletes.

According to a book by HHulk Hogan, they knew the script, but planned it out as they went along using body language. In one WrestleMania, where Hulk and Randy Savage went at it, Hulk had broken his wrist on a move. He still ended up winning the bout, but with considerable help from Savage - and it was so well done that no one noticed - until much later.

And, according to some WWF/WWE sources, the technique of grabbing the other guys hair before a move means you come close enough to whisper a number, signifying a set move.

what's wrong with this guy?

Yeah, well, that's a good question.... We're working on it.

DB

??

Devine Benevolence?

Double Bass?

Damaged Blackberry?

Duelling Banjos?

Dribbling Basketballs?

Drooling Bozo?

Dozen Bananas?

Doitsu Base?

But dunno which query

In the same way that professional wrestling is more than just a sport? Spectacle they both have. These two forms of entertainment may not be the Inaugural Games of The Flavian Amphitheatre, but hair is very important in each. RIP Ultimate Warrior.

Sigh. Good clip. Sadly, I think both men are dead. But great entertainers And excellent athletes.

According to a book by HHulk Hogan, they knew the script, but planned it out as they went along using body language. In one WrestleMania, where Hulk and Randy Savage went at it, Hulk had broken his wrist on a move. He still ended up winning the bout, but with considerable help from Savage - and it was so well done that no one noticed - until much later.

And, according to some WWF/WWE sources, the technique of grabbing the other guys hair before a move means you come close enough to whisper a number, signifying a set move.

Sgt Slaughter is still alive - he's a road agent for the WWE

I believe that ended a few years ago (his road agent job, not his life).

I believe that ended a few years ago (his road agent job, not his life).

Turns out he hasn't been doing it for five years! But is still very much alive.

• Like 1

Ichinojo seemed to be half asleep in his bout against Akiseyama today.

Overslept the tachi-ai, barely moved but still managed to slowly flip his opponent around for the easy "sleep walk" win.

Appears to me that he is looking forward to more serious competition in Makuuchi.

He has a first chance tomorrow in a Makuuchi exchange bout against veteran Wakanosato.

• Like 1

day 12 lower division highlights

Jk : Ichiryu (2-3) - Shimizu (2-3), who of them will still have a KK chance ?

Jd : Kanryu (3-2) - Kumao (3-2), basically a promotion fight

Sd-: Kakutaiki (4-1) - Hokkairyu (4-1)

Sd~: Hienriki (5-0) - Tokinowaka (5-0), two Sd regulars, former Sd4 vs Ms58

Ms+: Kawabata (4-1) - Tatsu (4-1)

J : Akiseyama (6-5) - Ichinojo (10-1), on his way to a 2nd Yusho in a row ?

# : Masunoyama (3-8) - Tenkaiho (3-8), hard to see :-S

What a poor day this was. Hopefully Makuuchi will make up for it.

• Like 1

Wild Wild West!

so far a whopping 20 of 23 of today's bouts in Juryo and Makuuchi have been won by the West side rikishi.

Do they serve a special chikara-mizu on the west side today...?

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 1

Let me guess:

Kisenosato is injured somehow...

DB

No, GB!

Actually, Takekaze got a Gin-Boshi against Kise not a dou-boshi ;-)

• Like 1

The contest for the three soon-to-be-vacated sanyaku slots is becoming very very interesting :-).

All 7 candidates are either facing each other, high rankers, or double-digit-win opponents tomorrow, and while Takekaze seems to have a clear advantage, for the other 6 candidates it will be a crucial day.

• Like 1

Harumafuji surprised me with that win, nice bout. Seeing Ōsunaarashi win by uwatenage is nice, too.

• Like 1

Wild Wild West!

so far a whopping 20 of 23 of today's bouts in Juryo and Makuuchi have been won by the West side rikishi.

Do they serve a special chikara-mizu on the west side today...?

I don't know, but there must be something (literally) in the water in Oguruma-beya. Two veterans thriving, while most old-timers struggle, including Kyokutenho of all people. Aminishiki can barely use his legs, and now the left knee is a banged-up as the right one.

Let me guess:

Kisenosato is injured somehow...

DB

No, GB!

Actually, Takekaze got a Gin-Boshi against Kise not a dou-boshi ;-)

Just had to give this a like because of my initials. :-P

Great bout between Harumafuji and Goeido. Defence, attack, counter attack, various techniques attempeted - what else could be had? Oosuna also, for a second day in a row, with a perfectly executed strategy and surprise for his opponents. Should be interesting for Aki in the upper echelons.

I would say that the elbow by Hakuho in the face of Kotoshogiku was entirely intentional, unnatural to the flow of the fall of his body and probably an attempt to show his opponent who still the boss is. As if Hakuho in last year had this Harvey's moment in Batman when he gets burnt and becomes double-faced.

Edited by I am the Yokozuna
  • Like 1

Don't believe a thing Hulk says. If he tells you the sky is blue, assume there never even was a sky to begin with. Calling him a non-credible source would be a compliment.

Wrestlers do call spots/moves when they pick their opponent up by the hair. It's an easy cover. Other common spot calling moves are headlocks, any irish whips and when both guys are down. The best matches are usually the matches called on the spot, except for the All Japan guys who mastered planning long sequences.

Ultimate Warrior was a good wrestler. While having no technical skills, he was exciting and knew when to turn it up. I always get a lot of WTF comments for saying that but his matches had a ton of energy to them. He basically wrestled like a superhero would and he was very good at matching his moveset to his character.

Slaughter was better and is one of the bigger successes in wrestling. He was great as both a heel and a face, skilled in the ring, great on the mic and was a very memorable character. He was just unfortunate to have a similar gimmick to Hulk and got hot at the wrong time.

Edited by rzombie1988

I have a childhood friend who would be so happy to chat hours with you on WWF/WWE, mister Zombie (and others), but this topic is rather reserved for Honbasho Talk, and more precisely discussion on the Nagoya 2014 basho. I'm even amazed that there seem to be people into both 'sports', but that might be something totally personal. Mind though that I watched some WWF too, but not because I was very curious about the outcome of a fight, nor was I interested in the aggressive revenge talk and rivalry stories before and after. Even back then, I enjoyed more putting up my own show on console games instead of watching the 'real' deal.

• Like 1

day 13 lower half highlights

Jk : Yuma (4-2) - Hayatozakura (4-2), not much to play for, but the best Jk bout of the day

J/J : Hamaguchi (6-0) - Fujiarashi (5-1), the other Jk/Jd bout was better, but this one more important

Jd- : Imafuku (5-1) - Kitadaichi (5-1)

Jd~: Kotokudo (6-0) - Takagi (6-0), Takagi lost to Shodai & Nagao last basho

J/S : Shiba (6-0) - Takagenji (6-0), they even made it a nice spectacle

Sd~: Mitotsukasa (5-1) - Chiyokiryu (5-1), both were still in Makushita in Haru'14

Sd+: Abiko (6-0) - Hienriki (6-0), ready for a 3rd Yusho in a row ?

• Like 2

I must admit I'm not totally surprised, but it's still sad to see Masunoyama's pixie dust wear off in such quick and dramatic fashion. 3-10!

Is anyone else disappointed by todays all-yokozuna-bout? I am...

• Like 4

I was too, but wasn't altogether surprised to see Harumafuji use that move. He's desperate for wins.

I don't know whether others will find this interesting, but on the chart below I've plotted Hakuho's total winning percentages in the last few years (red line), but also his winning percentages against older opponents (green line) and younger opponents (purple line). Some statistical caveats aside, the recent drop in winning percentages against younger opponents might be an indicator of age catching up with him.

Click the chart to enlarge.

Edited by Randomitsuki
  • Like 5

Wow, Kisenosato. Used Hakuhō’s momentum against him by twirling his body while doing a kotenage. Exciting basho, this could end anywhere.

On the one hand, I want Hakuho to win the yusho because he is simply otherworldly. On the other hand, I want Kotoshogiku to win because he's my favorite rikishi.

How many more times does Goeido have to have see-saw bashos before we can anoint him as the next Wakanosato? He can be astoundingly good at times, but some days he is very pedestrian.

Speaking of pedestrian, I hope Endo can turn things around next basho, I love the amount of excitement he brings to the people watching. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen someone get this much heat.

Regarding Osunaarashi, I love that he is not afraid of anyone, and is henka-free. And I have the utmost respect that he is doing this during Ramadan.

Edited by Gusoyama
  • Like 6