Sign in to follow this  
Naganoyama

Heya A-Z with (partial) pictorial history

I have added a new section showing all makuuchi yusho winners from 1909. Yusho portraits are shown where available - i.e. for about half of the yusho in the 1950s and for all yusho from the 1960s onwards (except for the portrait for the latest basho which will be added in due course).

Choose "Special Categories" from the top menu and then "Makuuchi yusho by year" from the left menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

3 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

I have added a new section showing all makuuchi yusho winners from 1909. Yusho portraits are shown where available - i.e. for about half of the yusho in the 1950s and for all yusho from the 1960s onwards (except for the portrait for the latest basho which will be added in due course).

Choose "Special Categories" from the top menu and then "Makuuchi yusho by year" from the left menu.

This project is very important as a piece of historical documentation, and I thank you for taking it on.

[There's still some work to be done: several mismatches between names and portraits.]

If you've spotted errors then I'm always grateful if you can send me a reference. I did check it all but got a bit goggle eyed towards the end.

How about a pm?

Clicking on the shikona now takes you to the rikishi page at SumoReference. I don't know why I forgot to do this before...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Naganoyama said:

Clicking on the shikona now takes you to the rikishi page at SumoReference. I don't know why I forgot to do this before...

Is it because it's a long, tedious pain in the ***?

It would be if you did it manually. Also there would be lots of mistakes. :-)

I do it in software for both the above reasons and it took about 10 minutes, of which about 8 were uploading and testing. To be fair I have created quite a few pages with similar links to rikishi and so it was only a single line of code that needed to be added.

I have added a new view based on the same data. It shows a list of all the rikishi who have won makuuchi yusho and when you click on a name you see only the yusho won by that rikishi.

Choose "Special Categories" from the top menu and then "Makuuchi yusho by rikishi" from the left menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The section on foreigners now has some additional categories to show rikishi of mixed ancestry and rikishi whose shusshin does not match their country of birth.

Choose "Special Categories" from the top menu. As the "Foreigners" section is the default, this will now be visible.

From the "Countries" list at the top, choose any of the four categories at the end (in blue). These are shown below:

Foreign shusshin mixed-ancestry rikishi Foreign-born rikishi with foreign (other) shusshin Japan shusshin mixed-ancestry rikishi Japan shusshin foreign-born rikishi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9

23 minutes ago, Totorofuji said:

A gallery for the okamisan would be nice. (Inlove...)

You're new. Do a more thorough search...

I have now updated the site to reflect the 2022 year book.

Last year, in spite of the pandemic, all rikishi pictures were updated in the yearbook. This was almost certainly because the pictures had already been taken before the state of emergency was declared. Most urakata pictures were just repeated from the previous year.

This year there has clearly been a protocol in place that dictated that only essential rikishi/urakata pictures would be updated. Only rikishi appearing in their first yearbook or whose hair style/length had changed significantly was snapped. Only new urakata pictures were  updated.

Below are a few examples. There are more to be found.

Nishihara (first yearbook):

Nishihara.jpg

Miyata (longer hair but no topknot):

Miyata.jpg

Yamane (first topknot):

Yamane.jpg

Ichiyamamoto (mage->oicho):

Ichiyamamoto.jpg

And Shishi (who barely qualifies under the above rule, but only if you take out the word 'significantly'):

Shishi.jpg

Magaki Oyakata:

Magaki.jpg

Tokoyama Tokotochi:

Tokotochi.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Minor error with Chiyotsurugi, but thank you very much as always.

Edited by yohcun
  • Like 2

Grrr.

The ISP put me in a position where I was forced to let them migrate my hosting to a new server. They have now twice messed up my DNS settings for the new server and the site has been down for five days already.

• Sad 4