Sign in to follow this  
Naganoyama

Heya A-Z with (partial) pictorial history

Thanks for this. I seem to remember that somebody came up with the Yoshimura/Kushimaumi link when Kushimaumi sadly passed away. I can't now find it.

The Masuraumi question came up when I dug up a picture of Tomoegawa as a shindeshi and thought it was a young Masuraumi.

I have added a new section "Summary" to provide brief statistics of the heya in the years since 2000. This section is not yet complete as I have compiled the data for the years 2000-2007 only so far.

For each year there are 2 pages, one showing a breakdown of the personnel in each heya at the start of that year and the other charting the changes (heya closures, opening of new heya and transfer of personnel between heya) during the year.

All rikishi and former rikishi are linked directly to Sumo Reference.

• Like 5

I have added a new section "Summary" to provide brief statistics of the heya in the years since 2000. This section is not yet complete as I have compiled the data for the years 2000-2007 only so far.

For each year there are 2 pages, one showing a breakdown of the personnel in each heya at the start of that year and the other charting the changes (heya closures, opening of new heya and transfer of personnel between heya)[/size] during the year.

All rikishi and former rikishi are linked directly to Sumo Reference.

This section is now up to date.

• Like 6

I wish I'd found this before. I'm in hog heaven. Thank you Naganoyama.

• Like 1

It's one of the best refrences online in which I find myself using all the time. Indispensable for sumo fans.

• Like 1

A bit belatedly, thanks to the fact that Windows 10 has serious problems in its scanner drivers, I have now managed to update the site to reflect the 2016 yearbook.

Fortunately, the hoops that I had to jump through to get the one 16-bit application that I still can't manage without to work under Windows 10 also helped me with the scanning.

• Like 4

I have added a section showing all Yokozuna back to the 19th Yokozuna Hitachiyama Taniemon.

Choose "Special Categories" from the top menu and then "Yokozuna of the modern era" from the left menu.

• Like 6

I have added a section showing kabu holders over the last century. Choose "Kabu" from the top menu and then select a name from the left-hand menu. By the simple expedient of using the rikishi picture rather than trying to find an oyakata picture, I have managed to provide pictures for most entries.

• Like 2

I have for some time been meaning to re-scan the kesho-mawashi pictures from the large makuuchi book. When I did the original scanning I was using a scanner dating back to the earliest days of PC scanners. It had several problems with it:

- The output quality was poor despite the claimed 1200 DPI resolution. Pictures appeared to have an extra layer of dirt rubbed into them.

- Because of my aversion to the idea of cutting the pages out of the book, I needed an assistant (my long-suffering husband) to hold the book down while I clicked the relevant buttons. It took 45 seconds to scan a greyscale page and there were only so many times I could ask to re-scan a page if it didn't come out too well.

- The scanner was extremely well made and lasted over 20 years, thus giving me no excuse to replace it in the short term. 

Having eventually replaced the old scanner and bitten the bullet about separating the pages from the book spine, I have re-scanned all the pictures and replaced them on the website. Most of the pictures have benefitted from this operation and are brighter and sharper.

Pictures which were close to the centre of the book and near the spine no longer have a blurred region where the book was not close enough to the scanner bed.
Since this time round it was possible to make out slightly more  of the background, I have taken care to include as much of the background as possible for all pictures other than those taken up against a wall. 

This picture of Oiwazan from the 1940s demonstrates the various types of improvement. Look at the fringes of the mawashi to see the improved definition.

Oiwazan_3870.jpg Oiwazan_3870.jpg 

Edited by Naganoyama
  • Like 9

I have now updated the site to reflect the 2017 yearbook.

• Like 7

Is there any chance of getting this in Japanese?  Even if it is just a scan of the shikona?

It would be relatively easy to add the shikona in Japanese as that is something I already maintain in my database, but getting the whole thing in Japanese would be more of an endeavour.

Do you have it scanned, or typed up?  I am interested in the kanji variants.

If you are studying the Kanji used by the Kyokai, it would be well worth getting hold of the yearbook in Japanese (if you don't already have it). See it here. 

• Thanks 1

The special category section now has a new view to show all the rijicho. Click 'Special Categories' in the top menu and then click on 'The Rijicho' on the left menu.

• Like 4

The special categories section of the site now has a new view to show the Tate Gyoji of the modern era.  Click 'Special Categories' in the top menu and then click on 'The Tate Gyoji' on the left menu.

• Like 7

I have now updated the site to reflect the 2020 yearbook.

There are some new features for this year.

- In the Special Categories section there is a view for all foreign rikishi indexed on country of origin with the usual link on the rikishi shikona to Sumo Reference and to the pictorial history where present by clicking on the mugshot.

- In the Summary section there are two new views: rikishi making their debut and rikishi retiring in each year. (Retiring rikishi are linked to their pictorial history.)

Edited by Naganoyama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 11

11 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

I have now updated the site to reflect the 2020 yearbook.

There are some new features for this year.

- In the Special Categories section there is a view for all foreign rikishi indexed on country of origin with the usual link on the rikishi shikona to Sumo Reference and to the pictorial history where present by clicking on the mugshot.

- In the Summary section there are two new views: rikishi making their debut and rikishi retiring in each year. (Retiring rikishi are linked to their pictorial history.)

Your site is a very valuable resource for watchers of the sumo world. I can figure out who’s who in the lower divisions and among the oyakata only because of it. Absolutely top shelf work putting it together. I’m indebted.

• Like 3

Something I noticed while putting together the pictures was that Yukiamami of Tatsunami Beya cut his hair during the year.

Yukiamami.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I know everybody in Makuuchi and Juryo, I’ve snapped a bunch of pics of lower division rikishi outside the Kokugikan over the years and later I use your website to identify them. It’s a fun pastime for a sumo nerd like me. Kind of sleuthing. Also I can confirm who oyakata are before I approach them for a photo or autograph or whatever.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

Something I noticed while putting together the pictures was that Yukiamami of Tatsunami Beya cut his hair during the year.

Yukiamami.jpg

Did he and Roman make a break for it last year or something?

It seems likely that they wanted to but were persuaded not to.

Roman.jpg

I've absolutely no idea what the environment in Tatsunami Beya is like.

• Like 2