Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Juryo Promotions - 2014 Nagoya

The Kyokai announces six promotions to Juryo for the next banzuke, three newcomers and three returnees.

Debut:

Wakanoshima (Mk1w, 5-2, Shibatayama-beya)

Daieisho (Mk2e, 6-1, Oitekaze)

Kyokutaisei (Mk3w, 5-2, Tomozuna)

Return:

Tochihiryu (Mk3e, 4-3, Kasugano)

Kizenryu (Mk4e, 5-2, Kise)

Tochinoshin (Mk6w, 7-0 yusho, Kasugano)

• Like 4

I might have to watch the documentary featuring Kyokutaisei all over again. It will be seeing him in a different light, now that you know he stuck to it and made it all the way to juryo. Good to see Wakanoshima too, one of the only two wrestlers to beat the juggernaut Ichinojo on his meteoric two basho rise to juryo.

I might have to watch the documentary featuring Kyokutaisei all over again. It will be seeing him in a different light, now that you know he stuck to it and made it all the way to juryo.

The documentary (with English subtitels) can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-2FbVSuQUQ

I always keep forgetting who the kid was. Kyokutaisei. Hope I'll remember now. Never expected him to make it up to Juryo. Congratulations.

• Like 4

His mentor in the documentary is Asahisho, who I also became more aware of and certainly cheered for more after seeing this.

When I watch sumo, especially the lower divisions, I can't help but think about the many stories "hidden" behind those many names and records we can see on the DB. Congratulations for him.

• Like 1

Kyokutaisei with Tomozuna oyakata (aren't promotions pics posted elsewhere ? if so, I am sorry)

PN2014052801001153.-.-.CI0003.jpg

"Guts pose"

PK2014052802100124_size0.jpg

Edited by shumitto
  • Like 4

I'm only watching the film for the first time now - so cool to see not only Kyokutaisei, but also Akiseyama, Homarefuji, Keitenkai (so far. still watching...) at the very beginning of their careers! Akiseyama was so big back then! (his forehead seems to have been even smaller than nowadays, though :-) it's the hair, I guess)

Edited by Senkoho
  • Like 2

Daieisho seems to have flown under the radar so far (at least I didn't recognize any sort of hype around him), but he clearly has potential and comes with a good frame (1,79m / 139kg).

He will be the youngest sekitori on the July banzuke.

Does anyone have some background information on him?

Personally, I am glad to see another former highschooler making it that quick because they seem to have more room for improvement than many university guys who enter Ozumo as "finished rikishi".

(aren't promotions pics posted elsewhere ? if so, I am sorry)

Sometimes a separate thread is made for pictures after the banzuke itself is released, because they can cover various sekitori promotions and stories etc. But there's no need for that just for the Juryo promotions, so they're absolutely fine here. :-) A few more:

Wakanoshima outside Shibatayama-beya.

Juryo01_Wakanoshima.jpg

Juryo02_Wakanoshima.jpg

And with the shisho, former Yokozuna Onokuni.

Juryo03_Wakanoshima_Shibatayama.jpg

Daieisho.

Juryo04_Daieisho.jpg

With Oitekaze-oyakata, former Maegashira Daishoyama.

Juryo05_Daieisho_Oitekaze.jpg

Kyokutaisei with Tomozuna-oyakata, former Sekiwake Kaiki.

Juryo06_Kyokutaisei_Tomozuna.jpg

Double no-flag in front of the Tokyo Sky Tree.

Juryo07_Kyokutaisei.jpg

Juryo08_Kyokutaisei.jpg

• Like 4

This may be because he's from Endo's heya, all eyes on Endo. He fell back to sandanme in late 2012 after some success, and was then struggling in lower makushita, but started to improve just around the time Endo joined sumo (maybe energized by Endo's success?), taking the sandanme yusho in Endo's second tournament and climbing steadily since. Funny you should mention the university guys, b/c his wikipedia article in Japanese says he is the first non-univeristy graduate to make juryo from Oitekaze since it's inception. That's something considering it was founded back in 1998. It is a rather educated heya, with it's share of college (Nihon university) graduates.

• Like 2

I might have to watch the documentary featuring Kyokutaisei all over again. It will be seeing him in a different light, now that you know he stuck to it and made it all the way to juryo. Good to see Wakanoshima too, one of the only two wrestlers to beat the juggernaut Ichinojo on his meteoric two basho rise to juryo.

He was the guy in " A Normal Life"? I truly liked it. Hope him the best in Juryo!

... and Asashosakari nailed in the head the promotions, again!

A little bird told me Taisei has got a bit stuck up since those sensitive boy times of the documentary, when he started going up the ranks, but who wouldn't a bit right?

A little bird told me Taisei has got a bit stuck up since those sensitive boy times of the documentary, when he started going up the ranks, but who wouldn't a bit right?

A stuck-up tsukebito? How quaint.

• Like 1

Wakanoshima is from Hanaregoma-beya. What a beautiful tribute to his first oyakata's memory.

• Like 1

It is compatible with the little bits we could see on video. He went to sumo to win and crush his opponents as he more or less put it. It was more a true wish than bravado.

Frustration came from the difficult lifestyle and, as he also admitted but not as openly, from the initial inability to win. The not very supportive father warned him from the beginning that it would be hard, and he agreed, but as a 18-year-old who didn't take those words seriously. The excuses he resorted to to make the initial failure more palatable was that he was suited to judo instead or that he should have joined the military - which hadn't accept him in the first place. This dodging behavior is part of the lie telling we engage everyday to go on with life [e.g. didn't want that promotion anyway] but also represents how hard it was for him to cope with the actual (sumo) world as it differed from what he had in mind. In the end of the video he admits his naivety, a sign of growing maturity. Someone must have talked sense to him, or maybe he realized by himself that whatever course in life he chose, perseverance, a word he had used earlier without any depth of meaning, was of utmost importance. Now that his winning-minded self has found actualization, he can be a bit full of himself again.

Edited by shumitto
  • Like 5

I think about the new boys I see just starting out and I think I bet I had a much better idea of what they were getting into than they did when they started this. It amazes me the dropout rate isn't even higher than it is.

Hearing your comments Shumitto, I definitely need to watch it again. Not sure why, but what I remember the most is his phone calls to his sister.

Edited by Asanomeshi