Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Day after the basho news- Hakuhou mystery and other news as well

Journalists are baffled- Hakuhou did not do the semi-ceremonial yusho-winner day-after press conference. It's the first time this has ever happened. "We tried to convince him but he has a few reasons. He just refuses, whatever we say. Sorry..'" said people involved. Something happened after he beat Kakuryuu on day 14. Instead of being his usual self, he did not say a word to the press. After his yusho he did do the yusho interview but said little to the press backstage. "I guess he has his own reasons," said Kitanoumi rijicho.

Deputy director of PR Tamanoi : "In the future, I'd like his heya to explain to him the importance of this.."

There is no rule that a yusho winner has to do a day-after interview, but until now, bleary-eyed and tired from the festivities, he used to always be there, which enhances the mystery.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

The YDC have stated that this is not a start of a yusho run for Kisenosato. "He loses too much to the lower rankers," said Uchiyama the chairman. Kitanoumi said that even a 15-0 zensho is dependent on "the quality", perhaps leaving a tiny crack open..

The YDC said Kakuryuu's six losses are "unacceptable". "Three losses are the max!!" said Chairman Uchiyama.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

There is a plan to change the Kyokai retirement age from 65 to 70. "I'm not sure we will implement this, but there is talk. We'll be comparing newly adjusted retirement ages the world over and see..." said Kitanoumi Rijicho. People close to the issue are saying that in any case, the "officers' " retirement age will remain 65. The talk is of Oyakata in general.

Edited by Kintamayama

"He loses too much to the lower rankers," said Uchiyama the chairman.

Whatever one may think about the overall validity of that statement, isn't it a bit of a strange timing to say it after he had only one loss to somebody ranked below yokozuna?
  • Like 2

The YDC have stated that this is not a start of a yusho run for Kisenosato. "He loses too much to the lower rankers," said Uchiyama the chairman. Kitanoumi said that even a 15-0 zensho is dependent on "the quality", perhaps leaving a tiny crack open.. .."

The YDC said Kakuryuu's six losses are "unacceptable". "Three losses are the max!!" said Chairman Uchiyama.

This might be a clever plan to get Kise to go into the next basho with no pressure on him. So if he goes in without pressure, performs like he did this time and gets a 14-1 yusho, watch how quickly they whack the rope on him...

• Like 5

I like a lot of the differences that sumo has from other sports. The YDC's haughty proclamations chastising sumo wrestlers who are just doing their jobs is not one of them.

This might be a clever plan to get Kise to go into the next basho with no pressure on him. So if he goes in without pressure, performs like he did this time and gets a 14-1 yusho, watch how quickly they whack the rope on him...

I don't think it can work like that. It would imply a loss of face for the YDC if they declare that Kise is not up for promotion at the start of the basho and then they decide to vote on him anyway 15 days later.

That said, what they say now isn't necessarily what they're going to say in six weeks when the basho is nearer.

There is a plan to change the Kyokai retirement age fro 65 to 70. "I'm not sure we will implement this, but there is talk. We'll be comparing newly adjusted retirement ages the world over and see..." said Kitanoumi Rijicho.

I woke up this morning thinking exactly about this. Where I live mandatory retirement age for man holding public office is 70. Could sumo adopt the same rules ? I hope not, for with kabu-loans no longer an option and with oyakata living more and more, getting a kabu will be more difficult than already is and power will take longer to change hands.

On watching the trophy ceremony crossed my mind the idea that Hakuho won't be staying with the kyokai in the future.

"Kakuryu's 6 losses are unacceptable", but I think he will get used to the new responsibilities performance-wise and win 11 or 12 in July and will challenge every now and then for a yusho, maybe winning a couple more in his career but that takes some time. Just a reminder, 9-6 was the record he posted twice before starting his tsuna-run...

Edited by shumitto

I hope that Finland wins the World Cup.

Icehockey? Amateur Sumo? Wrong category anyway.

Ganzohnesushi

I hope that Finland wins the World Cup.

Icehockey? Amateur Sumo? Wrong category anyway.

Ganzohnesushi

I figured that Kisenosato tsuna talk and mandatory retirement age talk was equally irrelevant to the original subject.

Let's hear about the Hakuho mystery!

• Like 1

I figured that Kisenosato tsuna talk and mandatory retirement age talk was equally irrelevant to the original subject.

If you figured so, your reading comprehension needs a refresher. Or maybe you're just starved for attention again. Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

If you figured so, your reading comprehension needs a refresher. Or maybe you're just starved for attention again.
Ad hominem aside, what does Kisenosato have to do with the 'Hakuho Mystery'?

Can you respond without insulting? I doubt it. Insulting strangers over the internet appears to be your forte.

How brave you are! ;)

• Like 1

The topic is "Day after the basho news" and Hakuhou mystery is one of the items in the news. I'll make it clearer.

I'll make it clearer.

Oy vey.

I meant I'll make it clear in the topic-changed it so it will be clearer.

• Like 1

And the mystery continues. "I haven't spoken to him since senshuraku. I can't say I know the reason at the moment.." said his Oyakata. Asked if he would be asking Hakuhou what happened, he answered, "I don't know.."

Reading back on the basho articles, it has been mentioned that his father is not well, and came to Japan to see him get the yusho regardless. Maybe something to do with that?

And the mystery continues. "I haven't spoken to him since senshuraku. I can't say I know the reason at the moment.." said his Oyakata. Asked if he would be asking Hakuhou what happened, he answered, "I don't know.."

Reading back on the basho articles, it has been mentioned that his father is not well, and came to Japan to see him get the yusho regardless. Maybe something to do with that?

I noticed that his father was not really looking too well on the NHK footage on Senshuraku and the Yusho party. Just speculation of course, but it would be absolutely understandable.

The fans supported Harumafuji overwhelmingly in front of Hakuho's ailing father. I believe that the Yokozuna felt slighted. Of course, Hakuho is concerned about his father's health but there's more to this story in my opinion.

You're telling me that Hakuho isn't affected every time fans scream their heads off for his opponent? And what about the fact that Endo gets more cheers than the Emperor himself? Does that not effect the Yokozuna?

I feel ashamed of the many awful things I said about Hakuho in the past.

• Like 2

Other yusho winner skipped this press conference in the past?

You're telling me that Hakuho isn't affected every time fans scream their heads off for his opponent? And what about the fact that Endo gets more cheers than the Emperor himself? Does that not effect the Yokozuna?

That must be it! Hakuho does not talk to the press because the audience cheers Endo more than the Emperor!

Irony aside I think that you may interpret to much into it. Every strong Yokozuna had to face the fact that the audience cheers for their opponent because people are keen to see the upset, even more so this time as that would have resulted in a play-off. For Hakuho this is nothing new and if it would seriously bother him it would have shown before.

This blog post from the man himself sums it all up. His wife was five months pregnant with their fourth child, but sadly suffered a miscarriage. Hakuho heard the news on Day 13. Understandably, Hakuho wanted to be with his wife straight after the basho and didn't want to talk about the sad news so soon, so he decided not to attend the press conference.

• Like 15

This blog post from the man himself sums it all up. His wife was five months pregnant with their fourth child, but sadly suffered a miscarriage. Hakuho heard the news on Day 13. Understandably, Hakuho wanted to be with his wife straight after the basho and didn't want to talk about the sad news so soon, so he decided not to attend the press conference.

Oh no, this is really sad. In retrospect, how terribly difficult it must have been to continue the basho in a "business as usual" way...

• Like 6