Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Sansho Natsu 2014 (Spezial Prize Winners)

Shukun-sho (Outstanding Performance Award) goes to:

Goeido (4th Shukun-sho)

Kanto-sho (Fighting Spirit Prize) are awarded to:

Ikioi (2nd ever Kanto-sho)

Sadanoumi (1st ever Kanto-sho)

Gino-sho (Techniques Prize) was

not awarded

Edited by kuroimori

Goeido (3rd Shukun-sho)

Ikioi (1st ever Kanto-sho)

4th and 2nd, respectively. :-)

Goeido (3rd Shukun-sho)

Ikioi (1st ever Kanto-sho)

4th and 2nd, respectively. :-)

You're right, thanks for setting the numbers straight!

NSK doesn't bother to put these number on their site :-/ so I just clicked over to the DB to the top of the sansho rikish profiles where the Natsu 2014 prizes of course hadn't been added yet.

Edited by kuroimori

Btw, going by Wikipedia, this shukun-shō makes Gōeidō tie 1st place for most career sanshō (10 total, tied with Aminishiki, Harumafuji, and Wakanosato).

Edited by ALAKTORN

Btw, going by Wikipedia, this shukun-shō makes Gōeidō tie 1st place for most career sanshō (10 total, tied with Aminishiki, Harumafuji, and Wakanosato).

...among active rikishi, Yes.

For the all-time Sansho Winner Top spot he needs to double up his current tally to surpass Wakanoshima (19 Sansho)

For the all-time Sansho Winner Top spot he needs to double up his current tally to surpass Wakanoshima (19 Sansho)

Akinoshima. :-)

Akinoshima. :-)

Right, again....

Thanks!

kuroimori a.k.a. Bakanoshima :-)

Silly Conspiracy Theory: Goeido is intentionally not getting promoted to Ozeki so he can win one of the Sansho every tournament, receiving more money overall than if he was Ozeki.

I like it. It is likely more fun to see him hold his own on the meat grinder that is junior sanyaku than in the more, erm, comfortable rank of Ozeki.

I find it interesting that no active rikishi has more than ten sansho, not enough to get into Wikipedia's all-time table. I guess the late 90s and early 2000s with Akinoshima, Kotonishiki, Kaio, Tosanoumi, Tochinonada etc all around really were an exceptional period.

I find it interesting that no active rikishi has more than ten sansho, not enough to get into Wikipedia's all-time table. I guess the late 90s and early 2000s with Akinoshima, Kotonishiki, Kaio, Tosanoumi, Tochinonada etc all around really were an exceptional period.

I think it has to do with stricter ways of awarding sansho. I am pretty sure that Tochiozan or Aminishiki would have got a sansho in the 90's for their Natsu Basho performance. Also the rule of 10 wins in your Makuuchi debut makes Kanto-sho has been left in the last years although Sadanoumi received it this time.

The sansho selection committee meets in the press room at 1pm on the final day of each basho. The committee consists of members of the press club, the directors of the shimpan group and a representative of the Tamari-kai (or the equivalent group at the non-Tokyo basho). There can be no more than 30 people, but I get the impression that the press men rotate amongst themselves as it's usually around 20. This basho there were exactly 20, requiring a majority of 11 votes for a sansho to be awarded. Results:

Shukun-sho: Goeido, 20 votes, conditional on winning his final bout. Awarded.

Kanto-sho: Ikioi, 20 votes, unconditional. Awarded.

Kanto-sho: Sadanoumi, 19 votes, conditional on winning his final bout. Awarded.

Gino-sho: Homasho, 8 votes, conditional on winning his final bout (vs. Aminishiki). Not awarded.

Gino-sho: Aminishiki, 4 votes, unconditional. Not awarded.

I understand that Isegahama-oyakata opted to remain impartial (Aminishiki is in Isegahama-beya) and did not participate in the discussion or votes for the Gino-sho nominees.

Shimpan directors Asahiyama, Izutsu and Isegahama during the meeting.

560_Shimpan.jpg

A vote is taken.

561_Vote.jpg

And the results sheet with the three selected recipients.

562_Sansho.jpg

• Like 5