Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Natsu 2014 discussion thread **probable spoilers**

...and the basho is underway!

Thanks to araibira's great work, Jonokuchi & Jonidan matches can already be watched on UTube.

The first match of the basho also saw the first mono-ii.

I recall that there were a record-worthy few mono-ii last basho even though there had been quite a lot of close calls, maybe the shimpan committee (no pun intended) reviewed this after the basho?

• Like 1

Osunaarashi with another impressive start against Okinoumi.

After opening with a 7-0 record last basho, can he repeat this with a similar win streak?

Replay of Ichinojo's first Juryo bout against veteran Tosayutaka.

The Mongolian giant easily put Tosayutaka out of the dohyo.

He is set to plough through Juryo very fast. Impressive, almost scary...

Hakuho continues to look like he's on another plane of existence, especially compared to the performances of the other yokozuna today.

It looked like Harumafuji got caught trying to pull off an inashi.

Yoshikaze does not seem to be taking his sanyaku promotion as a lifetime achievement award; Harumafuji got lazy, got pasted. Looks like they've got the zabuton nailed down, though.

Thought Toyonoshima needed to get lower against Shohozan. Can't recall ever thinking that about him before.

Myogiryu and Kotoshogiku both looked recovered and ready to impress. Hope that keeps on.

• Like 1

You guys noticed Harumafuji broke his shishō's glasses (Isegahama oyakata)?

Edited by ALAKTORN

I have no idea how Harumafuji survived today’s bout… incredible balance not to put his hands down.

Harumafuji gave Aoiyama an extra shove after winning, sending him onto an elderly spectator who was rushed to a hospital in an ambulance. Type of injury unknown. "You betcha it was an unnecessary push. Harumafuji will be reprimanded and we will be posting reminders in the shitakubeya. That extra shove injured a fan-not good!!," boomed deputy head of the judging department Asahiyama.

Edited by Kintamayama

Yoshikaze fought well today too, even though he lost. I am impressed that cause he seems to have taken his Sanyaku debut at age 32 as a chance to try and take his sumo to a different level. For me he's the classic example of a "below the radar" rikishi who managed to get a solid ranking without fanfare.

I am also really really impressed once more by Aminishiki. I have often expressed my admiration for Kyokutenho's longevity, but Aminishiki is also to be commended for being 36, bandaged like a mummy and still being able to play the part of the biggest party spoiler in the jo'i; I doubt there's a single rikishi who goes to fight him without a little bit of dread, and that's a big medal for him.

• Like 1

Harumafuji gave Aoiyama an extra shove afetr winning' sending him onto an elderly spectator who was rushed to a hospital in an ambulance. Type of injury unknown. "You betcha it was an unnecessary push. Harumafuji will be reprimanded and we will be posting reminders in the shitakubeya. That extra shove injured a fan-not good!!," boomed deputy head of the judging department Asahiyama.

Perhaps I'm blind but it looked like Harumafuji slipped off of the dohyo. I dislike late shoves as much as the next guy but this one looked pretty innocent to me.

• Like 1

What's more: Aminishiki dropped below M6 only once since his Sekiwake debut six and a half years ago - quite impressive!

• Like 3

There was a time when I disliked Aminishiki for his gimmicks but I've come to admire him as whole. A rikishi with overall good manners, very calm, he can win with henka, but also with excellent sumo (as he did today) and he embodies the never-give-up-mindset which is so part of Ozumo like few. By the way, at home we call him affectionely "Salaryman". I always get the impression he will do his sumo and go back to Toyota. One of my favourites.

• Like 1

In the office pool, Aminishiki always beats my wrestlers. Same with Kyokutenho. But whenever I pick them for my pool, they can rarely put together better than a 7-8 record. Those two are the bane of my existence.

I was amazed at how far Osunaarashi got popped by 'Biki. Guess that shows what happens when you come in too high. Still, quite a show of brute force by Toyohibiki.

In the office pool, Aminishiki always beats my wrestlers. Same with Kyokutenho. But whenever I pick them for my pool, they can rarely put together better than a 7-8 record. Those two are the bane of my existence.

Syncing problem?

I was amazed at how far Osunaarashi got popped by 'Biki. Guess that shows what happens when you come in too high. Still, quite a show of brute force by Toyohibiki.

Toyohibiki might not be the nimblest of wrestlers or a master of technique, and is very henka prone, but if he is allowed to put his hands on his opponent's chest, that opponent definitely knows he has been pushed...

• Like 2

At first I didn't even recognize Endo on the dohyo with his mini-mage, and I stiill have difficulties putting 1 and 1 together.

I'm happy that Takayasu seems to have rediscovered his fire, at least based on the first two days. More power to him, I think he could be sanyaku regular if he just could be arsed a bit more.

Hakuho was shaky on Sunday, might be an interesting title run coming up.

Good comments overall.

Toyohibiki's biggest problem might be that he tends to forget his feet when he's close to the edge (while attacking). I must have seen him fifty times snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in such a way.

The tragedy about Aminishiki is that he needed the extra kilos to be able to compete at sanyaku level, which led to broken knees, which in turn took a lot of his initial technical proficiency away. Watch a couple of youg Aminishiki bouts. His speed and elegance was amazing. (Oh, and old SumoGame rule: never bet on Aminishiki bouts...either way...)

Yoshikaze has always been an exceptional worker, even though some of his evasive tactics might be frowned upon.The fact that he reached sanyaku only after such a long wait should be considered freak statistics.

Edited by yorikiried by fate

He may not have needed all that much force. Often, the shorter man has to get down and stand the taller one up to ensure he's off balance, as often happened with Kotooshu. Osunaarashi came in basically vertical at the tachi-ai. He did all of Toyohibiki's work for him.
  • Like 3

To be a gyoji in an Urutora bout can be hard work:

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 5

(Oh, and old SumoGame rule: never bet on Aminishiki bouts...either way...)

The problem is, there are currently far too many Aminishikis of that kind. (Kitataiki and Okinoumi come to mind...)
  • Like 1

Toyohibiki's biggest problem might be that he tends to forget his feet when he's close to the edge (while attacking). I must have seen him fifty times snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in such a way.

He just felt the need to illustrate what you mean. B-)