Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Rikishi Status Natsu 2014 - Final

Day 13 LATE

West Maegashira 4 TOYONOSHIMA (4-8) has withdrawn. Yoshikaze gets the default win.

Edited by Fukurou

Yikes. Toyo has been my favorite since Tochinonada retired. Hope it's not serious. I did to see any sumo yesterday. Was there an obvious injury?

Day 13 Fusen

East Sandanme 4 CHIYOKIRYU completes his 1-6 basho with a loss by default.

What to think of this lame show ?

Ryuden displaying his skill at "kid's sumo"? Someone wants to break Yamashita (however you want to use the term "break").

This is the 3rd consecutive basho Ryuden has had 1 match at the end. Stuff like this makes him look as foolish as Yamashita did. He should either try another basho from day 1 (July will make it 1 year since he last did that) or stay away until he's healthy.

I was idd pointing at how foolish this looks for Ryuden.

Just noticed that Kasugano substituted for Dewanoumi on shimpan duty this basho. Did I miss some news about that?

Just noticed that Kasugano substituted for Dewanoumi on shimpan duty this basho. Did I miss some news about that?

Dewanoumi is currently on crutches and has a cast on a fractured foot or ankle. No idea when or how it happened. I heard about it during the basho but it didn't click until now that he was a shimpan, his recent name change threw me off, sorry.

Dewanoumi.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2

Yeah, he's shinpaning all right. He looks so stern sitting by the dohyo. Nice to see a relaxed pic.

I suppose there is speculation someone fell off the dohyo onto him. It happens. Though a foot or ankle seems less likely when he's sitting down?

Edited by Asanomeshi

Ryuden displaying his skill at "kid's sumo"? Someone wants to break Yamashita (however you want to use the term "break").

This is the 3rd consecutive basho Ryuden has had 1 match at the end. Stuff like this makes him look as foolish as Yamashita did. He should either try another basho from day 1 (July will make it 1 year since he last did that) or stay away until he's healthy.

I would assume that those fights are needed to keep him on the banzuke... I agree that this looks bad for an ex-sekitori, but its probably his oyakata choice to keep him away from going banzuke-gai, even if it means bouts like this.

I would assume that those fights are needed to keep him on the banzuke... I agree that this looks bad for an ex-sekitori, but its probably his oyakata choice to keep him away from going banzuke-gai, even if it means bouts like this.

It's always the oyakata's choice, but he may be doing his rikishi a dis-service, I think. If he's well enough to take part, then do it right. If not, then let him retire. He won the Makushita yusho in Sep 2012, and has had 1 complete basho since.

Ryuden's ranks for the 3 basho when he appeared only for the last match and finished 1-0-6 were Jk10, Jk7 and now Jk1. I guess that's one way of getting promoted.

Edited by Fukurou

I always thought it interesting that JK is the only division you can get promoted out of even with a losing record. Persisters like Kasachikara from the past, seemed to get gradual promotion largely on the fact that JK kept/keeps gradually shrinking.

It's always the oyakata's choice, but he may be doing his rikishi a dis-service, I think. If he's well enough to take part, then do it right. If not, then let him retire. He won the Makushita yusho in Sep 2012, and has had 1 complete basho since.

"Let" him retire? What makes you think Ryuden doesn't want to get back to full competition eventually? Nobody's staying in sumo against his own will. He's obviously not well enough to compete full-time now, but plenty of rikishi have missed long periods of time.

In any case, it hasn't been just a single injury that has caused his absences since Kyushu 2012.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

"Let" him retire? What makes you think Ryuden doesn't want to get back to full competition eventually? Nobody's staying in sumo against his own will. He's obviously not well enough to compete full-time now, but plenty of rikishi have missed long periods of time.

In any case, it hasn't been just a single injury that has caused his absences since Kyushu 2012.

Granted. Then let him take part from the beginning and see if he's well enough or not (and end this end-of-basho thing tournament after tournament). He hasn't tried doing that for a year. It's all what the oyakata decides to have him do.

I'm curious what the injuries were and when, because I can see him possibly having had just one injury and it carrying on, even through comeback attempts, for 2 years. I can equally see him injured at least 3 times - in 11/12, then before 3/13, then in 7/13.

Sep12 Ms12 - 7-0Y

Nov12 J12 - 4-5-6

Jan13 Ms4 - 2-5

Mar13 Ms10 - A

May13 Ms50 - A

Jul13 Sd30 - 1-2-4

Sep13 Sd69 - A

Nov13 Jd30 - A

Jan14 Jk10- 1-0-6

Mar14 Jk7 - 1-0-6

May14 Jk1 - 1-0-6

Granted. Then let him take part from the beginning and see if he's well enough or not (and end this end-of-basho thing tournament after tournament). He hasn't tried doing that for a year. It's all what the oyakata decides to have him do.

Again, what makes you think it's only the oyakata's call? Considering Takadagawa-oyakata was highly critical of Ryuden withdrawing from Kyushu 2012, I find it much more likely that Ryuden simply isn't capable of fighting a full tournament right now.

Besides, what on Earth is "he hasn't tried doing that" supposed to mean? You make it sound like Ryuden and his shisho don't have a clue as to his physical condition and he'd need to step on a honbasho dohyo to find out. Considering they live and train under the same roof, perhaps it's possible that they have a better handle on what's possible and what isn't than you do? Just a thought.