Sign in to follow this  
Gurowake

Drawn in upon reading about Kakuryu's promotion

So I check Wikipedia's main page for news from around the world quite a lot, and one of the things mentioned there was Kakuryu's recent promotion to yokozuna. Not knowing much about sumo, I decided to read exactly what that meant and why Wikipedia's front page was reporting on it, and after reading about the entire ranking system I was pretty much hooked. I spent quite a while just reading over old banzuke to watch the typical progressions of people up the ranks, not bothering to watch any matches because I didn't really know if they were actually all that interesting. Eventually I did decide to watch some of the matches from the high ranked guys, and I was quite impressed with how the top level matches tended to play out. I might just lose interest after the coming basho as my attention does tend to wander when there's nothing to do, but I've been heavily anticipating watching the basho day-by-day not knowing what's going to happen as opposed to watching everything that's happened well in the past.

Major thanks to Kintamayama for his digests of Makuuchi bouts from the last few years.

• Like 5

welcome to the sumo diaspora.... hope you can catch some of the lower division matches to see the difference between the lower ranks and the upper echelons.

-shimodahito

Welcome. I started following sumo a while back in a similar fashion - some news read/heard somewhere - and I am still here. I hope you enjoy !

Edited by shumitto

Welcome! I also started following sumo by being impressed with the whole banzuke business, and it was years before I actually saw a sumo match :).

I hope you get hooked too!

Added some information to my profile; attempted to grab the Gravatar I already had made for my email address, but I don't think it worked.

edit: just grabbed the image off Gravatar and uploaded it directly.

Edited by Gurowake

Hello Gurowake !

Many of us started by accident, curiosity, or else. But when you're in, it's for ever. Sumo is renewing every year. :-)

Welcome aboard !

Many of us started by accident, curiosity, or else.

Not me. When I was not even one year old, I looked down at my diaper and thought: "That's just it!"

• Like 4

Hello Gurowake !

Many of us started by accident, curiosity, or else. But when you're in, it's for ever. Sumo is renewing every year. :-)

Welcome aboard !

I my case, the "else" - Kaisei's 10th win in Makuuchi was news even here in Brazil. I started there. Kaisei is , well, Kaisei, our not-so-remembered M5 to M9, but I learned to love and enjoy sumo as a whole.