Akinomaki

Rikishi related Books

A book showing the way of HF from entering sumo to now in paintings is complete. HF with the artist and the book.
She was painting about a 100 scenes a year of bouts from the main basho since 2007. The book was practically finished 2 years ago, but HF asked to have the work continue till he'd become yokozuna.
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2014/04/09/kiji/K20140409007938620.html
G20140409007938900_view.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 09/04/2014 at 11:56, Akinomaki said:

Is there a list of biographies/autobiographies written in Japanese of yokozuna (plural)? I recently found out about Onokuni's book and I was wondering which other yokozuna have biographies/autobiographies in Japanese.

3 hours ago, Adil said:

Is there a list of biographies/autobiographies written in Japanese of yokozuna (plural)? I recently found out about Onokuni's book and I was wondering which other yokozuna have biographies/autobiographies in Japanese.

I believe Hakuho and Kisenosato have autobiographies published if I’m not mistaken.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Adil said:

I haven't seen one yet, but it should be easy make such a list - except that the books by former yokozuna often just partly are an autobiography and some have (got) written (for them) more than one of that. About Hakuho there are plenty already, Takanohana has published a lot, Taiho also several. Some, like the book by Futabayama Yokozuna no hinkaku, are more about sumo in general.

What I have at home here (bought for a few yen 2nd hand #) are about Hakuho "Dohyo no Chingisu Haan" and "Hakuho no mental", by Taiho "Sumoudo to ha nani ka", by Wakanohana III "Strong spirit" and by Taka "Ikizama"

on my check list now are "Takaryu shin gi Tai" by Takanohana, "Kitanofuji-ryu" about Kitanofuji - there are also books by him, "Kyojin, Taiho, tamagoyaki - watashi no rirekisho (my personal history)" by Taiho and "Shirarezaru Taiho" about him, wife and daughters, "Ichiban, ichiban, shinken shoubu" by Asashoryu, "Tsuna no chikara" by Chiyonofuji

# so far in my experience, given as "acceptable" on Amazon Japan corresponds to "very good" with books ordered from the US

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have "Rekidai yokozuna omoshiro shiwa" and from Uchidate Makiko "O-kaeri nasai Asashoryu" - I thought I had bought Hakuho's "Sumo yo", but apparently not

From Harumafuji 全身全霊-第70代横綱、18年間のけじめ-日馬富士公平  日馬富士-公平 and 画文集〉第70代横綱日馬富士-相撲道   日馬富士-公平

From Akebono 大相撲のぶっちゃけ話-曙-太郎

from Kisenosato (most books by the rikishi are published under the oyakata name: 我が相撲道に一片の悔いなし-稀勢の里自伝  荒磯-寛

about Kisenosato 愚直-平成最後の日本人横綱-稀勢の里の魅力とはなんだったのか   荒井太郎

from Kagamisato 鏡里一代―自慢で抱えた太鼓腹-第42代横綱・鏡里喜代治自伝   鏡里-喜代治

from Taiho 「我が道」納谷幸喜(元横綱・大鵬)-スポーツニッポン新聞社-ebook

from Chiyonofuji 私はかく闘った―横綱千代の富士  千代の富士-貢 and 不撓不屈―1045勝への道のり  千代の富士-貢

about Asashoryu 横綱-朝青龍   野村-誠一 and ドルジ-横綱・朝青龍の素顔-講談社文庫-武田-葉月

about Haguroyama 大剛横綱羽黒山    羽黒山記念誌編集委員会-編 and  耐える鋼鉄―第三十六代横綱羽黒山物語   広井-忠男

about Tochigiyama 探訪栃木山-横綱昇進百年   板橋雄三郎

about Tamanishiki 無頼ケンカ玉-剛勇横綱-玉錦    川端-要寿 and 名横綱-玉錦伝  近藤-勝

about Minanogawa 下足番になった横綱―奇人横綱男女ノ川  小学館文庫   川端-要寿

about Hitachiyama 横綱の品格―常陸山と大相撲の隆盛   風見-明

about Umegatani 第一五代横綱梅ケ谷藤太郎詳伝―史上最強の横綱ー勝率九割五分一厘   小野重喜

about Chiyonofuji 元横綱・千代の富士の霊言-強きこと神の如し   books-大川-隆法

about Kitanoumi 元相撲協会理事長-横綱北の湖の霊言-ひたすら勝負に勝つ法  books-大川

about the first, Akashi 日下開山-初代横綱-明石志賀之助   中村-弘

about Wajima 天才横綱―輪島大士物語-杉森-久英 and 真・輪島伝-番外の人  武田頼政

about Kyoto sumo yokozuna Oikari 悲しき横綱の生涯―大碇紋太郎伝  西-まさる

about Maedayama どかんかい―張り手一代-前田山英五郎-国際化を駆け抜けた男   今田-柔全

about Tsunenohana 土俵の華-常の花―生誕100年-岡山の生んだ唯一の横綱波乱の生涯をたどる  佐藤-豊行

search

Hakuho 白鵬

Takanohana 貴乃花

Kitanofuji 北の富士

Taiho 大鵬

Futabayama 双葉山

昭和の名横綱シリーズ

I left out obvious historic novels, but some listed about the older yokozuna may still be that

unavailable books

59代横綱隆の里―苦節15年、忍耐と努力の花開く-1983年

名人横綱栃錦物語-1955年 秀ノ山-勝一

横綱力士小野川喜三郎

元祖横綱明石須磨之助

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

I also have ...

Dude, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million. I am reading Akebono's biography in French right now (that's right, I'm learning French at the moment), but I'll go back to my Japanese studies in a couple of months. Since I have already developed my proficiency to somewhere around B2 level in Japanese, I want to challenge myself by reading books by/about yokozuna. That would be my personal George Costanza moment; he says to Jerry Seinfeld after his latest romantic encounter during which he ate while engaging in "romantic activities" (I am trying to avoid the use of certain words): "Food and women are my two obsessions. It was about time that I was going to find a way to combine them." 

I would say: Language learning and sumo are my two obsessions. It was about time that I would find a way to combine them. As a matter of fact, sumo has always been a major part of my language learning activities. This will be the biggest challenge that I will be giving myself, though.  

• Like 1

Do English language copies of these books exist, or is there a way to get them printed/translated in English?

some other books you might look at...

Big Happiness: The Life and Death of a Modern Hawaiian Warrior

Gaijin Yokozuna: A Biography of Chad Rowan

Takamiyama: The World of Sumo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The autobiography of Toyonoshima goes on sale on June 4th, nanakorobi, yaoki 七転び八起き - fall down 7 times,  get up 8 times, a standard saying for never giving up, always rise again. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202205250000985.html

202205250000985-w1300_0.jpg

I guess he will have some advance copies at his intai-zumo tomorrow

• Like 1

Hakuhō doing PR for his autobiography, which has been converted to a manga series - 5 volumes so far and a 6th in end-October. Ōshima, ex-Harumafuji, and Nishonoseki are featured helping him do PR.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1