Cup Quarter-Final - Results update

Furanohana 0:1 Domichi
(France) (USA)

France ® L x: Netherlands (E2)
Netherlands (E1) x: W Germany (E1)
Brazil x: Brazil
Argentina (E2) x: Colombia
Costa-Rica x: Belgium

This one was over after less than 45 minutes.Furanohana's risky gamble with his home team already broke his neck. Domichi is sure to score a goal with either Netherlands or Germany, and could possibly score two more.

USA moves to the semi-finals.

GREAT EIGHT QUARTERFINAL ROUND:

CUP BRACKET

KUROIMORI.......KAIOMITSUKI

NED.(E2).....1..........NED

RESULTS:

GER (E1).....2.....(E2).ARG

RESULTS:

COL..........3.....(E1).BRA

RESULTS:

BRA..........4........©.GER

RESULTS:

CRC..........5..........FRA

RESULTS:

KURIOMURI SAYS: Looking at the very strong team my opponent still has at his disposal including a heavyweight ©-team, my only chance is to go for the upset. The not so convincing performances of most of my teams in the last match doesn't make it easier. Expecting that Argentina will be added by my opponent, makes me the clear underdog.Well "Decisive is on the pitch" as a famous German "philosoccer" once put it...

KAIOMITSUKI SAYS: Chico Buarque feat. Schweppes "Essa moça ta differente"

Essa moça ta differente

Ja não me conhece mais

Esta pra la de pra frente

Esta me passando pra tras

REFYOJI/GYOFERI SAYS: #1's will cancel -- 4 picks will decide. Kaiomitsuki has a great video, but I can't figure out how to open the youtube link... Good luck to both.

So far, so good...

Now I need Belgium to shut down Messi tomorrow.

Y esta noche: ¡vamos los cafetéros! ¡Vamos Colombia!

Update - Day 1

The bowl match has already ended. Rubensan had Brazil in Slot 3, while Chijanofuji in 5. France lost, Rubensan scores a goal. 1-0

In the saucer match, we have to wait for tomorrow.

N2Group%20Standing%20-%202014.07.04.jpg

Bench World Cup Quarter Finals

chishafuwaku (Netherlands) 0 0 Saruyama (England)
Netherlands ® Sat W Brazil
Brazil W Sat Argentina E2)
Argentina (E2) Sat Sat Netherlands
France L (GOAL) Germany (E11)
Belgium (E1) Sat Sat Belgium

COMMENTS
chishafuwaku (Netherlands): We both have Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands.

The major differences are France vs Germany and my ® team.

I think Saruyama will choose Argentina(E2). Me too. To win in 90 min I need a Netherland´s victory and/or a France´s victory. I prefer the first, so I risk this lineup.

Saruyama (England): None
Refioji Pregame: All four players in my group selected Argentina as the second extra team, chishafuwaku is right there. Since Netherlands are his ® team this can make or break his squad very quickly.
Refioji MbM:

Fri: Both players have high placed Brazil winning, but Saruyama scores a potential goal in the fourth slot with the German win in the direct matchup.

Sat:

Saucer Quarter Finals

KikoCookie (Spain) 0 0 Daineko (Uruguay)
Argentina (E2) Sat Sat Netherlands
Colombia L Sat Argentina (E2)
Germany (E1) W W Brazil
[/td][td]L L France
[/td2][td2]L Sat Costa Rica

COMMENTS
KikoCookie (Spain): Hoping for Columbia to upset the host team is most likely my only way to make it through against an opponent with five selections to my three.
Daineko (Uruguay): None
Refioji Pregame: KikoCookie is in a numerical disadvantage but still can pounce with Colombia and Germany in interesting direct match-ups with her aite.
Refioji MbM:

Fri: The two direct matchups ended in a tie, with KikoCookie losing with higher-placed Colombia. Netherlands or Argentina can decide it tomorrow for Daineko.

Sat:

GREAT EIGHT QUARTERFINAL RESULTS, KNOCKOUT DAY 5.

KUROIMORI.....KAIOMITSUKI

RESULTS: No advantages. Kuroimori 0 - 0 Kaiomitsuki.

RESULTS:

RESULTS:

RESULTS:

RESULTS:

Celebrations: Both players share a shot of Dutch Jenever, then Kuroimori pours an Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier for his Die Mannschaft win at #2 and Kaiomitsuki pours a Colorado Vixnu Imperial IPA for his Seleção at #3.

Edited by shimodahito

Quarter-Final Half-Time Scores (2 Bowl Matches) - Refioji: Pandaazuma

ScreechingOwl vs Terarno

ScreechingOwl:

1. Netherlands (E2)

2. Germany (E1)

3. Brasil

4. Belgium ©

5. None

6. None

Terarno:

1. Argentina ©

2. Brazil (E1)

3. Costa Rica ®

4. Germany (E2)
5. Belgium

6. Colombia

Owl and Terarno have both placed well so far and - as anticipated - the Netherlands-Costa Rica match will be vital. A win for the Netherlands will be enough for the Owl to win this, but if Costa Rica can manage a draw over 90 minutes, an Argentina win will take the match to extra time. Terarno's only hope of outright victory, of course, is a Costa Rica win.

Chocshoporyu vs Maguroyama

Chocshoporyu:

1. Netherlands

2. France

3. Argentina (E1)

4. Brazil ®

5. Germany (E2)

Maguroyama:

1. Netherlands (E1)

2. Argentina

3. Germany (E2)

4. Belgium

5. None

Maguroyama celebrates early as Chocshoporyu's rash placing of France costs him the match after only one game. Whatever happens in the Argentina match, it is no longer possible for him to win or even draw. The result is also decided: it is a 1-0 win to Maguroyama, who can now relax and enjoy the other quarter-final matches with nothing to worry about.

Kotononami vs Shumitto (Bowl Match):

Kotononami:

1. Argentina ®, 2. Netherlands, 3. Colombia (E2), 4. France, 5. Germany (E1), 6. Costa rica ©

vs

Shumitto:

1. Belgium ®, 2. Brazil, 3. Netherlands, 4. Costa Rica (E1), 5. Columbia (E2), 6. xxx

Referee comments: This one will of course come down to who's ® team capitalizes. Overtime will allow it to continue, but otherwise it all comes down to that match. A draw will give Shumitto the win however, do to the results on Kotononami's squad.

Achiyama vs Nekonishiki (Saucer Match):

Achiyama:

1. Argentina (E2), 2. Brazil ©, 3. Germany (E1), 4. France, 5. Colombia

vs

Nekonishiki:

1. Colombia (E2), 2. Netherlands, 3. Argentina (E1), 4. xxx, 5. xxx

Referee comments: All possible permutations give this one to Achiyama. My condolences to Nekonishiki, who's small squad seems to have doomed him.

That is all for now.

Saruyama (THE monkey referee)

(Please let me know if there have been any screw ups on my part)

shumitto and chabonowaka failed to send me their semi-final penalty takers - and so both receive further yellow cards.

I'll email the PK takers to Asashosakari for his report.

Group "Achiyama", 1/4 finals - line-ups.

Cup match:

Andonishiki vs. Shimodahito

Andonishiki:

1. Netherlands

2. Argentina (E1)

3. Germany (E2)

4. Brazil

5. France

6. None

Comment: So we made it to the final 8,

now it's crunch time !!

I think, that I got a perfect team, the five former world champions all lines up...

You give the Dutch way too much credit. :-S

Maybe Achiyama is secretly willing us to become the next world Champion? :-P

I don't know what Cijaofuji is talking about? ????????????????

Sorry, I obviously meant Andonishiki. It was his comment, not yours...

And in case anyone else is wondering what Doitsuyama and I are talking about:

Andonishiki said he had "the five former world champions all lines (lined) up" but, as Doitsuyama correctly pointed out, of the five teams Andonishiki has in his squad, the Netherlands have never been world champions. They were runners up 3 times (in 1974, 1978 and 2010) and European champions once (in 1988), but never world champions...

Aha. Got it now. I was a little bit confused. :)

Cup Quarter-Final - Results update

(France) (USA)

France ® L x: Netherlands (E2)

Netherlands (E1) x: W Germany (E1)

Brazil x: Brazil

Argentina (E2) x: Colombia

Costa-Rica x: Belgium

This one was over after less than 45 minutes.Furanohana's risky gamble with his home team already broke his neck. Domichi is sure to score a goal with either Netherlands or Germany, and could possibly score two more.

USA moves to the semi-finals.

Congratulation to Domichi !!! At least I'll have 3 teams left for the Bench Plate match...

Update - Day 2

The real match is undecided yet, but there is an end result in the game.

Saucer match

With the draw of Netherlands and Costa Rica both players scored goals. Netherlands © draw against Netherlands brings 1 goal for Chabonowaka, but Pitinosato's strong Germany ® scores 2 goals against Costa Rica. Pitinosato wins by 2-1.

N2Group%20Standing%20-%202014.07.05.jpg

chishafuwaku (Netherlands) 0 2 Saruyama (England)
Netherlands ® BREAK GOAL Brazil
Brazil W W Argentina E2)
Argentina (E2) W D Netherlands
France L GOAL Germany (E11)
Belgium (E1) L L Belgium

COMMENTS
chishafuwaku (Netherlands): We both have Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands.

The major differences are France vs Germany and my ® team.

I think Saruyama will choose Argentina(E2). Me too. To win in 90 min I need a Netherland´s victory and/or a France´s victory. I prefer the first, so I risk this lineup.

Saruyama (England): None
Refioji Pregame: All four players in my group selected Argentina as the second extra team, chishafuwaku is right there. Since Netherlands are his ® team this can make or break his squad very quickly.
Refioji MbM:

Fri: Both players have high placed Brazil winning, but Saruyama scores a potential goal in the fourth slot with the German win in the direct matchup.

Sat: His own Netherlands indeed are breaking chishafuwaku in the first slot, also giving Saruyama a goal. Saruyama doesn't break until the end, so the Germany goal counts too for the final score of 2:0.

Saucer Quarter Finals

KikoCookie (Spain) 1 1 Daineko (Uruguay)
Argentina (E2) GOAL D Netherlands
Colombia BREAK GOAL Argentina (E2)
Germany (E1) W W Brazil
[/td][td]L L France
[/td2][td2]L D Costa Rica

COMMENTS
KikoCookie (Spain): Hoping for Columbia to upset the host team is most likely my only way to make it through against an opponent with five selections to my three.
Daineko (Uruguay): None
Refioji Pregame: KikoCookie is in a numerical disadvantage but still can pounce with Colombia and Germany in interesting direct match-ups with her aite.
Refioji MbM:

Fri: The two direct matchups ended in a tie, with KikoCookie losing with higher-placed Colombia. Netherlands or Argentina can decide it tomorrow for Daineko.

Sat: Argentina scores a goal for both players as Netherlands can only draw. Daineko can't take advantage of his aite's chain break. Since the only game going to extra time was a draw after 120 minutes as well, this is also the final score and we need a penalty shootout here.

Cup Quarter-Final:

(France) (USA)

France ® L x:0 D Netherlands (E2)
Netherlands (E1) D x:1 W Germany (E1)
Brazil W x:0 W Brazil
Argentina (E2) W x:x L Colombia
Costa-Rica D x:x L Belgium

Domichi took it easy after his initial goal and saved his breath for the semi-finals.

Sat: Argentina scores a goal for both players as Netherlands can only draw. Daineko can't take advantage of his aite's chain break. Since the only game going to extra time was a draw after 120 minutes as well, this is also the final score and we need a penalty shootout here.[/td][/tr][/table]

It is now 6:50 am here in Hong Kong, and I have watched both of today's quarter-finals (with some liquid refreshment), so am not the most awake.... But I'll do the Penalty shoot-out, before getting some much needed sleep. Hopefully all refiojis will have given the results of their matches by the time I wake up again (in about 4 - 5 hours time), so that I can do all Bench World Cup admin stuff, before taking Fujiko out for a well-deserved lunch.

GREAT EIGHT QUARTERFINAL RESULTS, KNOCKOUT DAY 6.

KUROIMORI.....KAIOMITSUKI

RESULTS: No advantages. Kuroimori 0 - 0 Kaiomitsuki.

RESULTS: Both picks win, continue. Kuroimori 0 - 0 Kaiomitsuki.

RESULTS: Kuroimori's pick loses, chain broken; Kaiomitsuki's pick wins, scores. Kuroimori 0 - 1 Kaiomitsuki.

RESULTS: Kuroimori's pick wins; Kaiomitsuki's © pick wins, continues. Kuroimori 0 - 1 Kaiomitsuki.

RESULTS: Kuroimori's pick draws; Kaiomitsuki's pick loses. Kuroimori 0 - 1 Kaiomitsuki. GAME OVER.

Celebrations: Kaiomitsuki taps a cask of Argentinian Araucana Rojiza Fuerte beer for today's Albicelestes victory. Then starts feasting on Asado-Empanada, Ćevapi & Sauerbraten while the band plays Tango, Samba & Ländlers all night long. (Holiday feeling...)

Losers lament: Kuroimori & shimodahito start slamming shots of cheap Colombian Aguardiente with Aguila beer chasers as the Los Cafeteros loss prevented them from seeing the next round of the BENCH CUP! :'-(

First, congratulations to Netherlands (I am hoping that the 3rd/4th placed play-off and actual final will be (in either order) Argentina vs Brazil and Germany vs Netherlands. That would make the 3rd place play-off meaningful, as it would be between big rivals.) - but in some ways Costa Rica were the real winners tonight....

Okay, Penalty shoot-out between KikoCookie and Daineko....

Who goes first? (Gets out the die roller..... KikoCookie 1,2,3 - Daineko 4,5,6...)

It's a.....

So KikoCookie steps up first.

She has....

Germany!

Nicely struck.

KikoCookie O????

Daineko ?????

Up comes Daineko....

Netherlands!

That was close. The goalkeeper was so close to saving it!

KikoCookie O????

Daineko O????

KikoCookie steps up again....
France!
Oops! (Note to KikoCookie only one of her first two penalty takers could convert, based on the match-ups...)

KikoCookie OX???

Daineko O????

Can Daineko take advantage?

Brazil!

KikoCookie OX???

Daineko OO???

It's an early lead.

KikoCookie again....

Netherlands!

KikoCookie OXO??

Daineko OO???

KikoCookie is still in it.
Daineko takes his next with....
Germany!

KikoCookie OXO??

Daineko OOO??

Great choices by Daineko.

KikoCookie has another go...

Brazil!

KikoCookie OXOO?

Daineko OOO??

Still a chance for ScreechingOwl's daughter....
Daineko....
Belgium!
Oops, that ball whistled over the crossbar.

KikoCookie OXOO?

Daineko OOOX?

KikoCookie again.....

Argentina!

KikoCookie OXOOO

Daineko OOOX?

Daineko needs to score to stay in the competition....
Argentina!
He matches KikoCookie perfectly...

KikoCookie OXOOO

Daineko OOOXO

Well, both players had all four semi-finalists in their first 5 picks, so we know how each of their next three 'sudden death' penalties go, so fast forward a bit....

KikoCookie OXOOOXXX

Daineko OOOXOXXX

And we go back to the first picks....

Again, we all know that the first for each scores, but KikoCookie's 2nd original pick misses (whereas Daineko does not),

So the final result is....

KikoCookie OXOOOXXXOX

Daineko OOOXOXXXOO

Daineko wins 6-5 on penalty kicks.
Edited by Jejima

Quarter-Final Final Scores (2 Bowl Matches) - Refioji: Pandaazuma

ScreechingOwl vs Terarno

ScreechingOwl:

1. Netherlands (E2)

2. Germany (E1)

3. Brasil

4. Belgium ©

5. None

6. None

Terarno:

1. Argentina ©

2. Brazil (E1)

3. Costa Rica ®

4. Germany (E2)
5. Belgium

6. Colombia

Both players picked well here, basically getting the results right. Costa Rica's fine defensive display threw a spanner in the works though. Terarno scored a goal at the 1-slot and Owl returned the favour at the 3-slot AND broke Terarno's chain (as Costa Rica are his ® team). Owl's chain is then broken immediately at the 4-slot. The match ends as a 1-1 draw. Extra time (as far as I can see - still not sure about the rules) sees no change because the only match that went to 120 minutes REMAINED a draw and therefore makes no difference. Am I right? If so, this one needs Jejima to do a penalty shoot-out.

Chocshoporyu vs Maguroyama

Chocshoporyu:

1. Netherlands

2. France

3. Argentina (E1)

4. Brazil ®

5. Germany (E2)

Maguroyama:

1. Netherlands (E1)

2. Argentina

3. Germany (E2)

4. Belgium

5. None

As stated yesterday, this match was decided after just one game. A 1-0 win to Maguroyama.

Group "Achiyama", 1/4 finals - Final Scoring:

Cup match:

Andonishiki vs. Shimodahito

Andonishiki:

1. Netherlands
2. Argentina (E1)
3. Germany (E2)
4. Brazil
France
6. None

vs.

Shimodahito

1. Netherlands (E2)
2. Germany (E1)
3. Argentina
4. Colombia ®

5. Belgium
6. Costa Rica

Scoring:

Slot #1: No : No - This match is ignored. Both have Netherlands. Score: 0:0
Slot #2: Win : Win - Both chains unbroken. No goals scored. Score: 0:0

Slot #3: Win : Win - Both chains unbroken. No goals scored. Score: 0:0

Slot #4: Win : Loss - Shimodahito's chain broken. Andonishiki scores a goal. Score: 1:0

Slot #5: Loss : Loss - Andonishiki's chain stays unbroken. No goals scored. Score: 1:0

Slot #6: Loss : Draw - Andonishiki's chain broken. No goals scored. GAME OVER. FINAL SCORE: 1:0 for ANDONISHIKI

Refioji comment: Congrats to Andoishiki for the win and moving forward to the Cup 1/2 Finals !!!

Saucer match:

Fujiyama vs. Jejima

Fujiyama

1 Netherlands
2 Argentina (E1)
3 France ©
4 Brazil
5 Belgium (E2)

vs.

Jejima

1. Netherlands (E2)
2. Argentina (E1)
3. Germany
4. Colombia
5. France

Scoring:

Slot #1: No : No - This match is ignored. Both have Netherlands. Score: 0:0
Slot #2: No : No - This match is ignored. Both have Argentina. Score: 0:0

Slot #3: Loss : Win - Fujiyama's chain is broken. Jejima scores a goal. Score: 0:1

Slot #4: Win : Loss - Jejima's chain is broken. No goals scored. GAME OVER. FINAL SCORE: 1:0 for JEJIMA

Refioji comment: Congrats to Jejima for his "sweet revenge" win and moving forward to he Caucer 1/2 Final !!!

Refioji's comments:

Thanks God all 1/4 finals but ONE (the real ones) finished in regular time, which made the Refiojis' work easier.

I thank the players from "Achiyama" group for their fair play. "Congrats!" to the Winners, and "Sorry!" to the Non-winners (I don't like to use the word Loser to great competitors who come short to get a win).

See you soon all at Nagoya Basho. I wish you a quick switch from BWC (Football, aka Soccer) to to real BS game (Sumo) !!!

Edited by Achiyama

Quarter-Final Final Scores (2 Bowl Matches) - Refioji: Pandaazuma

ScreechingOwl vs Terarno

ScreechingOwl:

1. Netherlands (E2)

2. Germany (E1)

3. Brasil

4. Belgium ©

5. None

6. None

Terarno:

1. Argentina ©

2. Brazil (E1)

3. Costa Rica ®

4. Germany (E2)

5. Belgium

6. Colombia

Both players picked well here, basically getting the results right. Costa Rica's fine defensive display threw a spanner in the works though. Terarno scored a goal at the 1-slot and Owl returned the favour at the 3-slot AND broke Terarno's chain (as Costa Rica are his ® team). Owl's chain is then broken immediately at the 4-slot. The match ends as a 1-1 draw. Extra time (as far as I can see - still not sure about the rules) sees no change because the only match that went to 120 minutes REMAINED a draw and therefore makes no difference. Am I right? If so, this one needs Jejima to do a penalty shoot-out.

I am half asleep (still), but I agree that this one goes to a penalty shoot-out.

Gets out the die..... (ScreechingOwl 1,2,3.... Terarno 4,5,6....)

Terarno steps up first, with....

Germany!

Good start...

Terarno O????

ScreechingOwl ?????

ScreechingOwl has....

Germany!

Identical kick!

Terarno O????

ScreechingOwl O????

Terarno again....

Brazil!

Nice strike!

Terarno OO???

ScreechingOwl O????

ScreechingOwl....

France!

The keeper saves it!

Terarno OO???

ScreechingOwl OX???

Terarno steps up with....
France!
Same mistake as ScreechingOwl.

Terarno OOX??

ScreechingOwl OX???

ScreechingOwl is still in with a chance....

Netherlands!

Terarno OOX??

ScreechingOwl OXO??

They are tied after the first three kicks.

Terarno again with....

Argentina!

Terarno OOXO?

ScreechingOwl OXO??

Can ScreechingOwl keep pace?

Brazil!

He can!

Terarno OOXO?

ScreechingOwl OXOO?

Terarno again....

Belgium!

That one went way over the crossbar!

Terarno OOXOX

ScreechingOwl OXOO?

ScreechingOwl can win it with the next kick....

Argentina!

It's in!

Terarno OOXOX

ScreechingOwl OXOOO

ScreechingOwl wins the penalty lottery shoot-out 4-3.

ScreechingOwl's fans go wild! He's through to the Bench Bowl semi-finals!

Edited by Jejima

All the results are now in - except from Refioji Saruyama. Michelle is currently having an afternoon snooze, so I hope that Saruyama will forgive me for going ahead with the unofficial results for his matches. (Although, he has already announced that Achiyama has won after the half-time results were in, and for Kotononami vs (droning) shumitto, both had their ® teams in first slot, in a direct match-up to real life events, so it is easy to see who won that one ;-))

Quarter-final match results:-

Cup (Losers will be competing for the Bench Plate)

Andonishiki (Mexico) 1-0 shimodahito (Colombia)

chishafuwaku (Netherlands) 0-2 Saruyama (England)

Kaiomitsuki (Iran) 1-0 Kuroimori (Portugal)

Furanohana (France) 0-1 Domichi (USA)

Bowl (Losers will be heading home.)

ScreechingOwl (Australia) 1-1, 1-1, PK 4-3 Terarno (Costa Rica)

Chocshoporyu (Brazil) 0-1 Maguroyama (Japan)

Chijanofuji (Switzerland) 0-1 Rubensan (South Korea)

Kotononami (Argentina) 2-0 shumitto (Belgium) - to be confirmed.

Saucer: (Losers will be heading home.)

Fujiyama (Cameroon) 0-1 Jejima (Greece)

KikoCookie (Spain) 1-1, 1-1, PK 5-6 Daineko (Uruguay)

Achiyama (Honduras) 2-0 Nekonishiki (Russia) - to be confirmed

Chabonowaka (Ecuador) 1-2 Pitinosato (Germany)

Already home....

Fujiko (Chile)

Jakusotsu (Croatia)

Harumataikai (Italy)

Pandaazuma (Ivory Coast)

Kintamayama (Bosnia)

Leonishiki (Nigeria)

Kamogawa (Ghana)

Doitsuyama (Algeria)

Edited by Jejima

Semi-Final matches:

Cup (Losers will be competing for the 3rd/4th play-off)

Andonishiki (Mexico) vs Saruyama (England)

Kaiomitsuki (Iran) vs Domichi (USA)

(Two North American teams - out of the original three! plus one European, and one Asian....)

Plate (Losers will be going home)

shimodahito (Colombia) vs chishafuwaku (Netherlands)

Kuroimori (Portugal) vs Furanohana (France)

(Highest placed South American team, and three Europeans)

Bowl (Losers will be going home.)

ScreechingOwl (Australia) vs Maguroyama (Japan)

Rubensan (South Korea) vs Kotononami (Argentina)

(Three Asian teams here!)

Saucer: (Losers will be going home.)

Jejima (Greece) vs Daineko (Uruguay) (The battle of the cousins!)

Achiyama (Honduras) vs Pitinosato (Germany)

Going home (business class)

Terarno (Costa Rica)

Chocshoporyu (Brazil)

Chijanofuji (Switzerland)

shumitto (Belgium)

Going home (economy class)

Fujiyama (Cameroon)

KikoCookie (Spain)

Nekonishiki (Russia)

Chabonowaka (Ecuador)

(The last African team in the competition is now on the plane....)

Already home....

Fujiko (Chile)

Jakusotsu (Croatia)

Harumataikai (Italy)

Pandaazuma (Ivory Coast)

Kintamayama (Bosnia)

Leonishiki (Nigeria)

Kamogawa (Ghana)

Doitsuyama (Algeria)

Okay, who gets to be the refiojis?

Well, there are 8 matches left, and we have 7 refiojis. So each refioji will get one match each, except for one, who will be the refioji for both of the Saucer matches. The Saucer matches refioji cannot be Achiyama (as he can't refioji his own match), so we will roll the die for the remaining 6 refiojis, to see who gets the two saucer matches....

Doitsuyama - 1

Jakusotsu - 2

Nekonishiki - 3

Pandaazuma - 4

Saruyama - 5

Shimodahito - 6

Gets out the die....

So shimodahito will be looking after the two Saucer matches...

Time to dish out the two Bowl matches..... Achiyama is back in the mix, and the numbers on the die are again done in alphabetical order....

Achiyama - 1

Doitsuyama - 2

Jakusotsu - 3

Nekonishiki - 4

Pandaazuma - 5

Saruyama - 6

I'll roll the die twice to decide the two Bowl refiojis (if the same number comes up twice, I'll re-roll)....

Nekonishiki will be one of the Bowl refiojis, along with.....

Achiyama.

Time for the Plate refiojis...

I'll stick with the same numbers as above, and keep rolling, if need be.

The first Plate refioji is...

That's Pandaazuma's number.

His plate refioji partner will be...

No, that won't do. Try again...

That's Saruyama.

Which leaves Doitsuyama and Jakusotsu to be the Cup refiojis..... Let's dish out the matches.

Edited by Jejima

Bench Semi-Final matches - and the refiojis

Saucer matches: Refioji Shimodahito

Jejima (Greece) vs Daineko (Uruguay) (The battle of the cousins!)

Achiyama (Honduras) vs Pitinosato (Germany)

Bowl match: Refioji Nekonishiki

ScreechingOwl (Australia) vs Maguroyama (Japan)

Bowl match: Refioji Achiyama

Rubensan (South Korea) vs Kotononami (Argentina)

Plate match: Refioji Pandaazuma

shimodahito (Colombia) vs chishafuwaku (Netherlands)

Plate match: Refioji Saruyama

Kuroimori (Portugal) vs Furanohana (France)

Cup match: Refioji Doitsuyama

Andonishiki (Mexico) vs Saruyama (England)

Cup match: Refioji Jakusotsu

Kaiomitsuki (Iran) vs Domichi (USA)

Edited by Jejima

Whilst checking up on the rules for the semi-finals and finals in the Bench Euro 2012 thread, I came upon this 'rule change' at the very end of the thread for future tournaments.....

1. (As previously mentioned), in the knock-out stages, the special rules for ® and © teams only apply for extra time, if extra time has actually been played for the corresponding real match. I.e. E.T. ® teams do not have the chains broken if no extra time is played, and E.T. © teams do not score a goal if no extra time is played.

We have not been playing this rule for this tournament - and will continue not to do so.

For future tournaments, is this a good idea? I think it was suggested because too many players with strong ® and © teams were doing too well. This tournament there have been plenty of upsets, and out of the 4 Cup finalists, only Kaiomitsuki with his © team Germany has any 'specialist' teams left in his squad. (Statistically, this is the right number of 'specialist' teams being among the last 4) - and it rewards the players who picked well / got lucky with the draw at the very start of the tournament.

I therefore suggest that this rule is NOT adopted for future tournaments.

Any thoughts?

There is another 'new' rule at the end of the thread, and this seems to make more sense....

2. (New) For the semi-finals and finals, instead of being forced to make the first time occurrence in a line-up of such an ® or © team, the player is allowed to choose in which slot to play his 'joker'.

So, I will incorporate it into the Semi-Final and Final rules for this competition. (Unlike for the Bench Euro, these two matches have the same rules, due to the 3rd/4th play-off match in the World Cup, with which to make line-ups.)

Okay, I'll dig deeper into the old thread, and find the rules for the semi-finals and finals, as well as the rules for the Finals penalty takers....

Here are the copy and pasted rules (with slight rewriting) for the Penalty takers for the finals....

Penalty Takers for the Finals
You need to send me your penalty takers for the 'finals' / last round of this game.
These need to be sent to me before kick-off of the first Semi-final match (Tuesday 8th July, 9 pm, Brazil time).

Please arrange in the order your predictions for the final positions of the remaining four teams.... 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Please also send me your prediction for the time of the first goal in the finals.

If no goals are scored in normal and extra time, the first goal of the match will be considered to be the first penalty scored in a penalty shoot-out. A prediction of '46 minutes' (etc) will be considered to be the 1st minute of the second half, unless otherwise stated. (A prediction of '45 minutes' / '90 minutes' etc does not include the minutes after that number, being played in 'injury time' at the end of a half.)

The penalty shoot-out will be as follows....

3 penalty goals awarded for predicting the World Cup winner, 2 penalty goals for predicting the runner-up. 1 penalty goal for predicting the 'third placed team'. 0 penalty goals for the 'fourth placed team'. The sudden death starts after the first two slots (i.e with the third slot). If no winner can be had during this time (NB, we do not go back to the first two teams), there is an extra penalty goal to be awarded to the player whose prediction of the time of the first goal in the match is the closest to the actual time of it being scored.

(If there is still a tie, due to both players having identical times for their 'first goals' - or are an equal number of minutes away on either side of the actual time of the first goal, then I will use the penalty taker list for the semi-finals, then quarter-finals etc if need be.)

Rules for drones:

I will use the first four teams in the PK line-up for the semi-finals. The drone(s) prediction(s) for the first goal of the match will be 0 minutes.