Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Kyokai to form seniors' tournament

The kyokai has announced today that it will be forming a "seniors' league". According to Kitanoumi rijicho, the banzuke will go down to Sandanme only. Only ex-rikishi who reached Sandanme 6 and upwards during their active years will be allowed to participate. The Bashos will be held three times a year in Tokyo (February, June, October) and will last 7 days for all divisions. First basho - October 12th. Initial Banzuke-Makuuchi will include only ex-Sanyaku who will start from the same rank (Maegashira 12) and after the seven bouts will be ranked accordingly. Makuuchi will have 32 rikishi initially. Juryo -36, Makushita- 80 and Sandanme depends on how many rikishi will enter. A retiring rikishi will have a mandatory "cooling off" period of two years before he can join the new league, which will be called the GGK. There is no age limit, so this should be fun to watch..

More soon.

At the press conference:

G20130914006616640_view.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 13

Funny to see how little faith the usual sources have in the new league. Sanspo carried an article almost immediately decrying the league as merely a vehicle for yaocho and betting rackets. Personally, I can't wait to see which yokozuna and ozeki from days gone by sign up. From what I hear, Takanohana has already put back on about 40 pounds on his way to a goal weight of over 400 pounds, while Akebono is spending all his remaining fortune on new knees. I guess he thinks it's the only league where he can still win. My dark horse favorite? Sentoryu, who has stayed in great shape working out by himself all these years.

But the funniest quote, to me, was from Takanoyama, who apparently said he was thrilled to have an opportunity to continue to be a low-ranked rikishi for many more years to come.

Thanks for "breaking" this news, Kintamayama!

• Like 6

(Laughing...) (Laughing...) (Laughing...) I've heard that all former Yokozuna and Ozeki will take part (Doing a wave...)

I love April fools day. :)

there ALWAYS has to be someone to spoil the fun

do those persons think, they win something?

or they now are known as the most clever in the forum?

i simply don't get it

Edited by Gernobono
  • Like 3

Is it April fools day? I didn't realize it.. Anyhow, most of the ex- Yokozunae and Ozeki under the age of 50 have announced they are in. Kotomitsuki has asked to be included as well and his case will be reviewed by a special committee on Thursday. The only one who said "NO!!" is Asashouryuu.

• Like 3

Can anyone guess why the specific cutoff point for entering is "highest rank- Sandanme 6"?

Can anyone guess why the specific cutoff point for entering is "highest rank- Sandanme 6"?

Yeah, that had me wondering but am too lazy to look up. Hmm...

I guess the manager of Takasago-beya should know...
  • Like 1

A retiring rikishi will have a mandatory "cooling off" period of two years before he can join the new league

I understand there will be an exception to this for active rikishi aged 38+ who are ranked below makuuchi - they'll apparently be allowed to cut back their "main" schedule to three tournaments per year without ranking penalty, and combine that with the three new senior tournaments, until they decide to compete in the senior league exclusively. In exchange there will be a hard age limit of 42 for non-sekitori on the main circuit, so it looks like Ichinoya's modern era record will stand in perpetuity. (Unless Kyokutenho makes it to 47 as a sekitori under the new rules, I suppose.) Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

I guess the manager of Takasago-beya should know...
Excellent..

Kokonoe oyakata would clean up.

For whatever reason, I imagine Sanoyama Oyakata (ex-Chiyotaikai) would relish the chance to dump his boss on his keester. Kokonoe always seemed to ride him pretty hard during Chiyotaikai's fighting days. But I guess that's just how you show you care in the world of ozumo...

I had the pleasure of riding in a crowded elevator with Kitanoumi moments after Kotoshogiku's recent win over Hakuho. I happened to be first in line at one of Bodymaker's third floor elevators and to the right was a room from which the Richijo (and Tomonoi Oyakata) suddenly appeared. I whispered, "it's the Richijo!" As we loaded the elevator, the boss suddenly bumped me with his hips. Gabriori?

True story.

• Like 1

Back in the 90s a few retired rikishi used to take part in bouts in the February two-day tournament that tended to coincide with danpatsu-shiki. Chiyonofuji, Kitanoumi, Hokutoumi, Takanosato, Hokutenyu and Asashio all took part.

Swami

• Like 1

rumor has it that Kisenosato is considering immediate intai to become eligible for the senior league in two years, having a realistic shot at finally reaching the rank of y(e)o(ld)kozuna.

• Like 7

A retiring rikishi will have a mandatory "cooling off" period of two years before he can join the new league

I understand there will be an exception to this for active rikishi aged 38+ who are ranked below makuuchi - they'll apparently be allowed to cut back their "main" schedule to three tournaments per year without ranking penalty, and combine that with the three new senior tournaments, until they decide to compete in the senior league exclusively.

Two more basho then, and Kintamayama will be able to predict Wakanosato's intai every basho for another few years. :-D

In exchange there will be a hard age limit of 42 for non-sekitori on the main circuit, so it looks like Ichinoya's modern era record will stand in perpetuity. (Unless Kyokutenho makes it to 47 as a sekitori under the new rules, I suppose.)

Maybe not - currently active rikishi who are over 42 are grandfathered in, and as Hokutoryu just turned 43 last month he can continue on his road to 2,000 consecutive career bouts. (Clapping wildly...)

• Like 2

The kyokai has announced today that it will be forming a "seniors' league". According to Kitanoumi rijicho, the banzuke will go down to Sandanme only. Only ex-rikishi who reached Sandanme 6 and upwards during their active years will be allowed to participate. The Bashos will be held three times a year in Tokyo (February, June, October) and will last 7 days for all divisions. First basho - October 12th. Initial Banzuke-Makuuchi will include only ex-Sanyaku who will start from the same rank (Maegashira 12) and after the seven bouts will be ranked accordingly. Makuuchi will have 32 rikishi initially. Juryo -36, Makushita- 80 and Sandanme depends on how many rikishi will enter. A retiring rikishi will have a mandatory "cooling off" period of two years before he can join the new league, which will be called the GGK. There is no age limit, so this should be fun to watch..

More soon.

At the press conference:

G20130914006616640_view.jpg

In addition to Power Water and Power Paper in the corners, they'd probably also need Power Oxygen Tanks, Power Defibrillators, Power Ibuprofen, Power Mawashi Depends (for the real runny ones) and of course, Railings. Also, Power Blood Pressure Readers and Power Substitute Salt. (Cause, you know...)

And inflatable bumper pads surrounding the dohyo, which would be treated with a special rubber/foam surface.

And did I mention the Velcro Self-Stick Mages?

I assume they'd also be bringing back the retired Gyoji, equipped with special walkers and rubber knives.

And the Sikorsky Helicopter Company has agreed to supply portable winches, for those senior Rikishi who can't get back up from their squats...

• Like 5

Two more basho then, and Kintamayama will be able to predict Wakanosato's intai every basho for another few years. :-D

He's still active?

• Like 2

He's still active?

A kind of...