Sign in to follow this  
Rijicho

Featured rikishi : Chiyotaikai

Asa will get that leniency if he becomes as big a draw as Taka was, and they need him as badly as they needed Taka. but i doubt that will be the case. Asa will be burned out and gone by around 30. i doubt protracted injury-absences will ever be an issue.

but this is supposed to be about Chiyo, so....

I didn't much care for him at first, but i eventually became a little bit of a fan once i realized how much fun his torikumi are to watch, at least when he's "on." say what you want about tsuki-oshi rikishi; the style is dynamic and visually exciting, at least moreso than, say yotsu-zumo. he also has a good dohyo personality. even as something of a veteran, he still has those same school-kid expressions.

at one point he really looked like he would make it to the top, but unfortunately he never quite got it together, and i think even he would admit that's over now. but he has been pretty solid as an ozeki. sure, he's struggling with MK, 8-7s and 9-6s, but how many ozeki have even made it this long, let alone managed to post consistent double-digits at this stage? none. even Taka I was just hanging on at this point. right now, that's what i'm hoping he can do - get just enough pop back in his style to be safe for 8-10 long enough to make it to that 51st basho as ozeki. Kaio's pretty much got "greatest ozeki of the modern era" locked up, so maybe Chiyo can grab the longevity record as a consolation prize.

you know, i probably shouldn't say this (and i really, really hope i'm wrong), but considering his style and background, i think Chiyo is the #1 candidate to be the next ex-sekitori to enter K-1 or Pride. but hopefully he's mellowed out and is kabu-hunting....

at one point he really looked like he would make it to the top, but unfortunately he never quite got it together, and i think even he would admit that's over now.  but he has been pretty solid as an ozeki.  sure, he's struggling with MK, 8-7s and 9-6s, but how many ozeki have even made it this long, let alone managed to post consistent double-digits at this stage? 

The link below shows that Chiyotaikai will move into sole 4th place (pushing Takanonami into 5th place) for Ozeki longevity in May. He could tie Konishiki for 3rd place in July. He needs another year at Ozeki to pull into jiont 2nd place (with Hokutenyu) and 2 more years to pull level with Takanohana I.

May 2005 will be his 38th basho as an Ozeki. This is already 6 basho more than Musashimaru and Kotozakura who have the record for the most basho at Ozeki before becoming a Yokozuna.

http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/hon_basho/topics...e_besshi.html#1

Has Chiyotaikai been a good Ozeki? I reckon slightly above average (Being unsure...)

Has Chiyotaikai been a good Ozeki?  I reckon slightly above  average :-)

Only if you include those who went on to become Yokozuna. For "pure" Ozeki, he's clearly near the top in the modern era.

but hopefully he's mellowed out and is kabu-hunting....

It was reported that Chiyotaikai bought Sanoyama kabu from Konishiki already years ago, so if he wants to stay in NSK he is already on the safe side.