Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Some YouTube vids not showing

This likely falls in "it's not you, it's me" category, but today Kinta's embedded YouTube vids on the Forum looked blank to me (just a black, inactive rectangle). Some other vids, too, but I didn't go into an in-depth analysis which had problems and which not. The problem is likely local, since they worked just fine from my laptop a few day ago (I'll verify if the laptop works OK this afternoon).

Anyone else had this kind of problems and has some inkling how to fix it?

Win7, Firefox 28.0, with script blocker, but enabling all scripts changed nothing.

This likely falls in "it's not you, it's me" category, but today Kinta's embedded YouTube vids on the Forum looked blank to me (just a black, inactive rectangle). Some other vids, too, but I didn't go into an in-depth analysis which had problems and which not. The problem is likely local, since they worked just fine from my laptop a few day ago (I'll verify if the laptop works OK this afternoon).

Anyone else had this kind of problems and has some inkling how to fix it?

Win7, Firefox 28.0, with script blocker, but enabling all scripts changed nothing.

I have been having problems with some of the YouTube vids this basho. Sometimes, I get a view that is overlaid with bright color blotches as if there is an encryption blockage being applied. If I go back later, the same video may be viewable. The reverse also happens. Viewable vids may be "blocked" when I return to view them again. The problem occurs in Win 7 and Win 8 with both IE and Firefox. I have had no problem when using Chrome in either Win. I use AdBlocker Plus, but the problem continues if I disable it.

Note: I am a frequent user of Ustream for non-sumo sites. It is possible that cookie residue or system settings/cache from those sites is somehow interfering with Youtubed data from the ppv site. Just a thought.

Bingo!!! I cleared my Ustream cookies, and the problem went away.

Edited by Asojima

As suspected, videos work just fine on my laptop (also Win7/Firefox whatever). Weird.

Firewall at the office, perhaps? Sometimes I get an embedded black box there, too, but not always. It usually works after clicking the widget for opening in a seperate tab, though.

And today it works in office, too. Must be our sysadmins tweaking stuff, earlier this morning I had a brief trouble with outgoing mail which resolved itself (and our computer go-to-guy is not answering his mobile, possibly to avoid irate calls about transitory issues).

Thanks for ideas, I guess it was a local firewall/whatever trouble.

Edited by Manekineko