Sign in to follow this  
Benevolance

Haru 2014 discussion thread **probable spoilers**

• Osunaarashi is also impressive at 5-0, but I'm not sure we're not seeing another Kokkai here.
Technically Osunaarashi has already shown more.
Oosunaarashi's main technique appears to be a kind of frantic, brute force.

Oh come now 3masu- have you actually been watching him in action or have you just been reading the results? His bouts so far were a nice mixture of oshi and mawashi and wiliness and a bit of luck. Nothing frantic, no brutishness- not even an ounce. Power, sure, but if anything, he seems very calm and composed so far.
Osunaarashi's sumo could be a bit more internal for my taste. His manner is external in that he uses his formidable strength overtly and discernibly.

I'd like to see more lower body sumo from him. His career will last longer, in my opinion.

Everything you mention takes time to develop. He has come a looong way in the past 4 basho. The first 5 matches of this one show significant refinement over his makuuchi debut. He still has learning to do, it will come quickly in the upper division. He is showing that the experience he has had is not wasted. Edited by Couginishiki
  • Like 3

• Osunaarashi is also impressive at 5-0, but I'm not sure we're not seeing another Kokkai here.
Technically Osunaarashi has already shown more.
Oosunaarashi's main technique appears to be a kind of frantic, brute force.
Oh come now 3masu- have you actually been watching him in action or have you just been reading the results? His bouts so far were a nice mixture of oshi and mawashi and wiliness and a bit of luck. Nothing frantic, no brutishness- not even an ounce. Power, sure, but if anything, he seems very calm and composed so far.
Osunaarashi's sumo could be a bit more internal for my taste. His manner is external in that he uses his formidable strength overtly and discernibly.

I'd like to see more lower body sumo from him. His career will last longer, in my opinion.

Everything you mention takes time to develop. He has come a looong way in the past 4 basho. The first 5 matches of this one show significant refinement over his makuuchi debut. He still has learning to do, it will come quickly in the upper division. He is showing that the experience he has had is not wasted.

I totally agree and look forward to him becoming more seasoned.

I can't help by feeling awed by Kyokutenho. Every time I see the guy fight, I keep thinking "There's no way he's 39". No, he never was more than a rank-and-filer. Yes, he's the definition of an elevator rikishi. But he's been an elevator rikishi for 15 freaking years... And he can still start 5-1 in Makuuchi.

I really can't stress enough how much respect I have for this guy, and when the time comes to say goodbye to him I really really hope that he stays in sumo, if only to be a living example of perseverance for younger rikishi.

• Like 16

So much for Kise being so much better when the media pressure is off..

oh, wait! He MUST be injured... ;-)

• Like 1

Random thoughts after today:

First henkas of the basho in the top ranks on day six!

I love Masunoyama's brand of all or nothing supercharged sumo. He's never going to die wondering. I also like watching the Chiyo brothers, especially Chiyotori's brand of just absorbing the punishment, being patient and eventually winning. He has exceptionally good balance and is really great at staying on his feet. Great stuff.

Also, what's the bet Endo goes on to get his KK after losing the first four?

The Geek has proven to me over the past two bashos exactly why he is my favourite rikishi

• Like 1

Also, what's the bet Endo goes on to get his KK after losing the first four?

I don't think anyone really expected from Endo to get in and pummel the Ozeki and Yokozuna... So, essentially, his "real" tournament started today. If he can handle the sanyaku and get his KK remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Just in case someone gets a bad case of Groundhog Day calls of "henka!", HMF hit and shifted all-in-one fast, continuous motion. When he has that move working, his opponents have no answer for it.

Ex-Dewanoumi called it a henka, using the specific H word, and voiced his polite disgust (very diplomatically of course, as it is on sumo TV..).

"I was expecting a direct confrontaion, neeeeee??" "Tochiouzan surely did not expect THIS from the Yokozuna" etc. etc.

I, of course, couldn't care less, but it wasn't as one- sidedly OK as you make it to be. It was borderline at best and nothing like the usual "hit and shift" he sometimes does. We'll wait to see what he says in the interviews.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

That "hit and shift" seems to be one of Harumafuji's signature moves, and I often wonder when he's going to use it. The speed and timing with which he pulls it off is impressive!

But I agree with Kinta, this one seemed a lot more arguable as a henka. Very borderline, imo.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree with the oyakata, and I do think it was A-okay.

Head hit straight into aite's shoulder; feet, knees, and hips all forward.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. Judging by the slow-mo, Harumafuji shifted right from the start, never went straight, and only brushed the shoulder by accident. Henka for me.
  • Like 1

I respectfully disagree with the oyakata, and I do think it was A-okay....Head hit straight into aite's shoulder; feet, knees, and hips all forward.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. Judging by the slow-mo, Harumafuji shifted right from the start, never went straight, and only brushed the shoulder by accident. Henka for me.

Of course it was a Henka.

Henka, Henka, Henka.

I can't help by feeling awed by Kyokutenho. Every time I see the guy fight, I keep thinking "There's no way he's 39". No, he never was more than a rank-and-filer. Yes, he's the definition of an elevator rikishi. But he's been an elevator rikishi for 15 freaking years... And he can still start 5-1 in Makuuchi.

I really can't stress enough how much respect I have for this guy, and when the time comes to say goodbye to him I really really hope that he stays in sumo, if only to be a living example of perseverance for younger rikishi.

I agree. He's remarkably quick on his feet this basho as well, so that has improved since Hatsu (see fight against Chiyotairyu). Also his mix of experience/timing and power/athletic ability is unmatched among the current sekitori (with the exception of most of sanyaku of course).

In that respect, I'm also quite impressed with Takekaze. He also is holding his ground very well against much younger competition.

I find it awkward watching otsunaarashi attempting to help his defeated foes get up off the doyho. He needs to just get back to his side and let them get up themselves. This ain't basketball. End of rant. Loving this basho by the way.

• Like 1

I was wondering whether Harumafuji would lose the match, and I guess he was too, because he went the safe way with his signature “is it a henka?” move to win (remember he also used it to beat Hakuhō and win the championship in Kyūshū, I think that was the only time he used it on a fellow yokozuna).

Pleasantly surprised by Ōsunaarashi, his sumō still lacks technique, but it’s clearly much improved since his debut and it’s making him win.

Kyokutenhō is now one of my favorite wrestlers. His nage technique is amazing.

Loved how dominant Hakuhō looked today, he ended the throw without even following fully with the motion, although that overconfidence can be his undoing sometimes.

During the Kisenosato match, I thought he made a really wrong move in going chest-to-chest with Yoshikaze in that moment where he could’ve backed off a little, I thought as much watching it live and still think so watching the replay, it was his undoing that gave Yoshikaze the morozashi…

Liked Kakuryū’s strong forward sumō.

Nice to see Kotoshōgiku giving his all and still winning despite the injury. Disappointed in Kotoōshū, I guess he’s over…

Oh, I’m also liking the Chiyo brothers.

Edited by ALAKTORN

I find it awkward watching otsunaarashi attempting to help his defeated foes get up off the doyho. He needs to just get back to his side and let them get up themselves. This ain't basketball. End of rant. Loving this basho by the way.

thought about this as well, especially when he tried to "help" Takanoiwa getting back on his feet today.

It actually turned out to be more of an obstruction.

It sure ain't basketball, and there you only help your teammates...

• The first few matches sounded like there were 15 people in the crowd

Chiyootori's tenacity in this bout was incredible. No giving up for that young man. Always refreshing to see.

I repeat, what is wrong with Satoyama? He is a submissive wet noodle out there.

Kotooshu, time to go home. You did well, you should be proud, but it's time to hang up the mawashi.

Great to see a powerful snap-kotenage by Hakuho.

HMF definitely henka'd but it was beautiful.

I repeat, what is wrong with Satoyama? He is a submissive wet noodle out there.

Satoyama is fun to watch, but he is essentially a one-horse rikishi who does well against the offense-obsessed rikishi below mid-Juryo. The higher ranked rikishi are also defense oriented, and they tend to neutralize him.

Kyokutenho is making all the young guys charging at him look so stupid - as if it were the first time ever for them to step onto the dohyo and engage in a sumo bout.

Edited by kuroimori

Kyokutenho is making all the young guys charging at him look so stupid - as if it were the first time ever for them to step onto the dohyo and engage in a sumo bout.

Maybe he uses a "this is not the kimarite you're looking for" jedi mind trick to neutralize most of their arsenal...
  • Like 3

Kotooshu was my first favorite (and easily recognizable) rikishi since I returned to watching sumo a couple years ago, and I've always cheered him on despite his injuries and poor performance of late, so I never thought I'd hear myself say this but...

"Go home Kotooshu. You're drunk."

Sorry. :'-(

I wonder how he would do if his favorite singer Aya Matsuura was in the audience watching everyday? (Sigh...)

• Like 1

I wonder how he would do if his favorite singer Aya Matsuura was in the audience watching everyday? (Sigh...)

Depends on her weight.

Depends on her weight.

OT: This girl is cute or kawaii as they say, but her songs are as good as Kotooshu's sumo on a very bad day.

Edited by shumitto

Depends on her weight.

Has she gained? I've heard next to nothing about her since she semi-retired from concerts due to medical issues and then got married. Sorry, wrong thread I know. PM please if you have recent info and pics. I'm a fan too.

Depends on her weight.

OT: This girl is cute or kawaii as they say, but her songs are as good as Kotooshu's sumo on a very bad day.

OT: Depends on the song I guess. I've got her CDs but my favorite of her songs are her covers of other people's music.

Edited by Mukonoso

Ok, seems I've been too obscure about how fat a lady needs to be to sing the swan song...

• Like 2

Ok, seems I've been too obscure about how fat a lady needs to be to sing the swan song...

It may be too much of an Americanism.