Sign in to follow this  
Benevolance

Haru 2014 discussion thread **probable spoilers**

What the hell is going on with Myogiryu?

I am not sure whether he is still injured or he just underestimates the competition in the lower Makuuchi ranks - or probably both?

He doesn't actually look injured in how he fights, just weirdly overwhelmed. But of course you can never really tell when someone is hurting somewhere. I hope he turns it around, he has proven in the past that he doesn't belong so low in the banzuke.

On another note, seems to me that Sadanofuji is living proof that in sumo getting heavier doesn't always mean getting stronger... He has been pushed around too much this basho for a guy weighing 200 kgs.

• Like 1

No, Shohozan was just too overeager and too confident of the victory. Goeido just acted like a skilled torero. :-)

Wasn't this a little bit unfair ?

The unfair part is that the Irish kid didn't get the win in the first match. Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

Seems like Ishiura finally hit the wall, and hit it pretty hard too...

As for Horikiri, I am really impressed, after going from Sandanme to top makushita I expected him to struggle, if not actually get flattened, not start 3-0.

Ichinojo is really good (and really huge), and he should be taking over from Chiyootori as youngest sekitori (finally). However I guess that the fact that with this skillset and this body he has dropped 2 out of 10 bouts so far in makushita (both to long time makushita dwellers) shows that there's no substitute for experience and he should at least try to temper his over aggressive attacking style until he knows his opponents a bit better.

• Like 2

Endoh! (Zabuton flying...)

Kisenosato is now officially dismissed from media hype duties...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, only Japanese rikishi are subjected to this destructive phenomenon.

This, I believe, is a major reason for the lack of Japanese Yokozuna / Yusho winners over the past number of years.

Unfortunately, only Japanese rikishi are subjected to this destructive phenomenon.

This, I believe, is a major reason for the lack of Japanese Yokozuna / Yusho winners over the past number of years.

the three main reasons why there have been no Japanese Yokozunae in the last couple of years are (in order of appearance):

1. Asashoryu

2. Hakuho

3. Harumafuji

It's as simple as that.

The media pressure and vastly exaggerated expectations they created are just a consequence of the sheer dominance of those three - and maybe Kakuryu as well...

• Like 6

This one went smooth for the gyoji – avoiding a mono-ii the chief judge just threw a short “wrong” at him when he pointed to the wrong rikishi. He at once changed direction – thus likely avoiding a sashi-chigae on his record, which might hinder his promotion in the future.

Edit: that was obviously just a mistake, not a wrong decision by the gyoji. Young gyoji can be treated that way by the judges to teach them the trade.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how to search for this, but is Kisenosato the first Ozeki to lose to a sekitori with no chonmage?

the three main reasons why there have been no Japanese Yokozunae in the last couple of years are (in order of appearance):

1. Asashoryu

2. Hakuho

3. Harumafuji

It's as simple as that.

The media pressure and vastly exaggerated expectations they created are just a consequence of the sheer dominance of those three - and maybe Kakuryu as well...

The more those three guys win the less anybody cares (save a few gaijin on a silly forum).

The media pressure on the Japanese rikishi by contrast, is unbelievable. Ticket sales since Endo are proof that Japanese fans couldn't care less about foreign Yokozuna.

Kakuryu? That's a laugh.

Harumafuji is looking fierce. It almost makes me think he’s doping (or taking painkillers or something). This ought to be another 14–1 or 15–0 for him, it’s gonna be fun.

Edited by ALAKTORN

Glad to see Endoh finally get a win. Somewhat hilarious that it comes against Kisenosato.

I wonder if the whole thing isn't a bit bittersweet for Japanese fans clamoring for a native-born Yokozuna.

Endoh gets his ass handed to him by the top Mongolian rikishi and the ailing Kotoshogiku, but then gets a win over the other Japanese hope.

• Like 2

Kotoyuki losing as easy as today to Akiseyama is no good sign – looks like he's running out of fighting spirit and his incomplete recovery has turned into an aggravation of his injury.

Kotoyuki losing as easy as today to Akiseyama is no good sign – looks like he's running out of fighting spirit and his incomplete recovery has turned into an aggravation of his injury.

Noticed that too. The bandages are getting bigger, too.

That is how Kotooshu does his sumo when that little motivation to keep the Ozeki rank is gone. The new and good thing now is that his poor performances will be mirrored in the banzuke. And I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed if he decided to call it a career very soon.

Edited by shumitto

Glad to see Endoh finally get a win. Somewhat hilarious that it comes against Kisenosato.

I wonder if the whole thing isn't a bit bittersweet for Japanese fans clamoring for a native-born Yokozuna.

Endoh gets his ass handed to him by the top Mongolian rikishi and the ailing Kotoshogiku, but then gets a win over the other Japanese hope.

There are some new Mongolians that are looking good. Tamawashi also shows some improvement. Osunaarashi lacks technically, but he is strong.

And Endo is the only Japanese hope. He will be sanyaku for sure, ozeki probably after 2-3 years. Don't see him as a yokozuna yet. Kisenosato will stay an ozeki too.

I think of all the cannon fodder so far, Tamawashi, although 0-5, did the best sumo, even better than Endou. OK, today he wasn't ready for the cannonball tachiai from Kakuryuu, but he fought extremely well against the other top guys the first four days. I was sure he would be 0-5 (OK, he is, but you know what I mean) but the quality of his sumo has really surprised me so far this basho.

• Like 3

I think of all the cannon fodder so far, Tamawashi, although 0-5, did the best sumo, even better than Endou. OK, today he wasn't ready for the cannonball tachiai from Kakuryuu, but he fought extremely well against the other top guys the first four days. I was sure he would be 0-5 (OK, he is, but you know what I mean) but the quality of his sumo has really surprised me so far this basho.

You are right, as always. There will be more to see from Tamawashi. He did some Asashoryu faces. ;)

• Like 1

The last three or four tournaments he's finally back to how he looked about four years ago, when I was convinced he'd become a steady joi-jin. Maybe he will, after all...
  • Like 1

Day 5 thoughts:

• What the hell is going on with Satoyama? Does he have a concussion or something? Seems very tentative and slow to make contact. Zero offense today.
  • The Chiyo brothers are looking good. Chiyomaru looks so solid. I know I'm late to the party, but I'm impressed.
  • Osunaarashi is also impressive at 5-0, but I'm not sure we're not seeing another Kokkai here.
  • No Kisenosato yaocho remarks? I have been gone a while.
  • Holy crap Hakuho. You goddamn beast.
  • Like 1

• Osunaarashi is also impressive at 5-0, but I'm not sure we're not seeing another Kokkai here.

Technically Osunaarashi has already shown more. In the injury department he looks like a 27-year-old Kokkai.

• Like 1

Technically Osunaarashi has already shown more.

Oosunaarashi's main technique appears to be a kind of frantic, brute force.

• Like 1

Oh come now 3masu- have you actually been watching him in action or have you just been reading the results? His bouts so far were a nice mixture of oshi and mawashi and wiliness and a bit of luck. Nothing frantic, no brutishness- not even an ounce. Power, sure, but if anything, he seems very calm and composed so far.

• Like 5

Oh come now 3masu- have you actually been watching him in action or have you just been reading the results? His bouts so far were a nice mixture of oshi and mawashi and wiliness and a bit of luck. Nothing frantic, no brutishness- not even an ounce. Power, sure, but if anything, he seems very calm and composed so far.

Osunaarashi's sumo could be a bit more internal for my taste. His manner is external in that he uses his formidable strength overtly and discernibly.

I'd like to see more lower body sumo from him. His career will last longer, in my opinion.