Sign in to follow this  
Benevolance

Haru 2014 discussion thread **probable spoilers**

Will Kakuryu become a kimboshi liability? Don't forget, many of his wins over the past two basho were achieved via hikiotoshi.

Via Hikiotoshi?

You mean he pulled to then win by some other means?

He pulled the opponent's head while moving backwards and the opponents went down.

In 2-3 years (give or take a basho) I saw two new Yokozuna (Ama and Kak) but no Ozeki, Interesting times

You didn't miss an ozeki promotion by much. Kakuru's first Ozeki basho was in May, 2012; Harumafuji's first as Yokozuna was in November of that year.

The YDC decided unanimously in favour of promotion for Kakuryu - that makes it 100% sure.

• Like 11

Ring ring.. Driing ring..

Kotoshougiku: "Well, it worked like a charm, every detail was perfect.."

Hakuhou: "You had doubts? You sound like YOU should be thanked for planning this.."

K : "No, no, but it just seemed so easy.."

H; "It is, with me on your side, so don't forget it.. And vice versa.."

K: "Is his promotion final?"

H: "Yes it is."

K: "When I get better, can I be part of the fun too?'

H: "Bye.."

Click.

Superb!

Kinta's posting of recordings of the secret phone calls was the most enjoyed news for me this basho. Keep the sources secret and continue posting whatever transcripts or records you stumble upon!

A few thoughts on Haru 2014:

-Feels like a changing of the guard, especially with Kotooshu's retirement. Something tells me he won't be missed in the same way Baruto is missed

-Enjoyed seeing the continued development of Endo and Osunaarashi. These guys are both welcome additions to the Makuuchi ranks

-Interested to see how Miyogiryu looks next basho. He certainly didn't look like his usual self this tournament. Same can be said for Takayasu

-Has Masunoyama lost weight? He seemed a little quicker this basho and seemed to huff-n-puff less

-Takanoiwa surprised me by going 10-5

-Go Yoshikaze!

-Goeido looked pretty solid this basho (although his bout with Aoiyama looked odd to me). Curious to see if he can get double-digit wins next basho. Will he finally make it to Ozeki?

-Somewhat surprising to see the injured Kotoshogiku struggle through most of the basho and then turn into the Yokozuna killer. Could anybody have predicted that this would be the basho where he beat both Yokozuna? Remarkable.

-Nice to see Harumafuji return somewhat to form. His tachi-ai was consistently explosive

-Even though he lost his last 3 bouts, I don't think Hakuho is "in decline". He injured his wrist/hand against Giku and after the (botched, imo) call for a rematch against Harumafuji, he basically checked out. No chance to win the yusho, no sense in risking further injury on senshuraku, etc. Methinks he'll be seking to assert his dominance next basho

-Very happy to see Kakuryu get the yusho! Folks will debate the worthiness of a promotion to Yokozuna, but if the promotion criteria of a jun-yusho and a 14-1 yusho was good enough for Kisenosato, no reason why it isn't good enough for Kakuryu.

-Already looking forward to the next basho!!

• Like 6

Plenty of excitement on the final day, special congratulations to Kakuryu. It was good to see Osunaarashi (can we agree on one spelling, please) finally get his kachi-koshi, I was all set to look up how many others in Makuuchi had won 7 then lost eight. There is certainly plenty of developing talent amongst the younger crop of rikishi.

It was also good to see Homasho, Tokitenku, and Wakanosato in Juryo, and Takekaze, Yoshikaze, most especially, Kyokutenho in the top division all demonstrating the over 30s can still cut it.

It was good to see Osunaarashi (can we agree on one spelling, please) finally get his kachi-koshi

Ok, you are right, so to avoid different spellings let's stick with the original:

大砂嵐

;-)

• Like 6

It was good to see Osunaarashi (can we agree on one spelling, please) finally get his kachi-koshi

Ok, you are right, so to avoid different spellings let's stick with the original:

大砂嵐

;-)

Good idea. To avoid confusion, my nick is written トルクァート. :-D

Ha!

The Kyokai Official Grand Sumo website spells it: Osunaarashi

大砂嵐

;-)

You mean شاران عبد الرحمن علاء الدين محمد أحمد right? :-P :-D ;-)

• Like 6

Ha!

The Kyokai Official Grand Sumo website spells it: Osunaarashi

Yes, and they know all about the Sumo, especially in the English ;-)

• Like 8

大砂嵐

;-)

You mean شاران عبد الرحمن علاء الدين محمد أحمد right? :-P :-D ;-)

yes, right (to left...)

• Like 2

Ok, you are right, so to avoid different spellings let's stick with the original: 大砂嵐 ;-)
Good idea. To avoid confusion, my nick is written トルクァート. :-D

黒森 ライクス ディス

• Like 1

Plenty of excitement on the final day, special congratulations to Kakuryu. It was good to see Osunaarashi (can we agree on one spelling, please) finally get his kachi-koshi,

Yes, Oosunaarashi.

黒森 ライクス ディス

LOL! You made my day! ファンタスティック!

I had forgotten to mention that after re-watching Kotoshōgiku's match vs. Kakuryū it looked like Giku threw the match. There was one point where he had a grip on the mawashi with his left I think, but then just let go for no reason, I couldn't see Kakuryū doing anything in order to actually break his grip like that.

It felt like Kotoōshū's Natsu 2013 bout, kinda.

Edit: actually after seeing the photos I think I remember it being Giku trying a nage or something with his right and so letting go of the mawashi grip with his left, but it looked like it was an attempt at telling Kakuryū to push instead. Maybe I should watch it again…

Edited by ALAKTORN

黒森 ライクス ディス

LOL! You made my day! ファンタスティック!

you mean

ロル :-)

My daughter and wife just call him Arashi after their favorite boy band.

武庫之荘 (Mukonoso)

He's ok. I think he's slightly a better version of Kokkai. And i'm also worried of injuries he might get with the way he does sumo. Especially his elbow or wrist.

Osunaarashi reminds me of Kokkai too, but I think he is a more intelligent and powerful fighter. I don't see him ever to be a brilliant rikishi but I expect him to become Ozeki anyway - as long as he doesn't ruin his elbows or something different.

I very much apreciate his open kind, smiling a lot and using twitter and facebook (though I wouldn't recommend using facebook to others ;-) )

Sad to see Kakuryu promoted. Other than Kisenosato he hasn't had ANY good tournaments as Ozeki before his run, so the special "Kisenosato-rule" shouldn't be used for him. He should show at least another Jun-Yusho in the next tournament, though I really he think, he has done a permanent step in development.

Completely random stat: This was apparently the 100th makuuchi zensho yusho in history.

Yeah, that's a pretty cool milestone. Nikkan posted the list (to #99) here. And by this list, if Kisenosato had won he would have been the 100th different Makuuchi yusho winner.

That "100th yusho winner" spot is another thing that Kakuryu has grabbed away from Kisenosato now.
  • Like 1

A few thoughts on Haru 2014:

-Very happy to see Kakuryu get the yusho! Folks will debate the worthiness of a promotion to Yokozuna, but if the promotion criteria of a jun-yusho and a 14-1 yusho was good enough for Kisenosato, no reason why it isn't good enough for Kakuryu.

-Already looking forward to the next basho!!

And, it serves to keep the door open for Kisenosato, should he have a hot streak himself.

'Zakly.

So it turns out everyone likes the guy, Oosunaarashi?

I like everything about him except his habit of standing up straight at the tachi-ai. He never puts his head down. As a result, he's already at a disadvantage. He's also got the long legs of Osh and Tenho, and a very high centre of gravity. In any match, he's all legs and arms.