Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Basho attendance

Maybe also people didn't want to watch sumo without a crowd? We must agree that atmosphere is completely different with or without crowd. As far as I'm concerned I like it almost the same, other parameters (hearing everything that happens, something different, new...) compensating the lack of crowd (cheers, screams, laughs...). There can be a percentage of people though who might not like to watch sumo in an empty arena thus explaining lower ratings? Just a thought.

I wouldn't read too much into percentages. If the number of total viewers was higher, a lesser percentage still can stand for a plus.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 28/03/2020 at 08:20, Benihana said:

I wouldn't read too much into percentages. If the number of total viewers was higher, a lesser percentage still can stand for a plus.

Excellent point. Sumo probably has a pretty steady ceiling of viewers and having more kids and younger people at home probably dilutes that from a percentage point. 

I admit I don’t know particularly how to read the tv ratings, but I’d be interested to see how absolute numbers for January and March compared. My instinct tells me percentage and ranking drop but we should still see total viewership increase with more people stuck at home. 

Having said that, since there was no scandal or major retirement since January it’s hard to see why ratings would drop materially other than people were focused on things other than sport in general. 

Edited by Katsunorifuji

10 hours ago, Katsunorifuji said:

I admit I don’t know particularly how to read the tv ratings, but I’d be interested to see how absolute numbers for January and March compared. My instinct tells me percentage and ranking drop but we should still see total viewership increase with more people stuck at home. 

Unfortunately, the japanese don't appear to post what americans would call 'ratings' anywhere, only 'share'.  Not at all clear why.