Sign in to follow this  
bettega

Kakuryu as Yokozuna

umm... shouldn't it be, like, written down somewhere?

That phrase is quite frequently heard in our office (which happens to belong to a japanese company with a loooong history,...)

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 2

So it turns out not many guys left from back then that actually knew how to fasten the tsuna Unryuu style.

Well, Takasago-beya still has 11 rikishi who were contemporary with Asashoryu. Though maybe they didn't think it's something they'd need to keep remembering after his exit...

Problem 3: Nobody in the Ichimon has any idea how to make an Unryuu style tsuna for the tsuna uchi.It is different in length etc. As both current Yokozuna use the Shiranui style, that won't help.

Solution 3: Go to Takasago beya (outside of the Ichimon..) where some of the guys used to make it for Asashouryuu, who did it the Unryuu way, and ask for their help.

So it turns out not many guys left from back then that actually knew how to fasten the tsuna Unryuu style. Luckily, someone found a video of that from a jungyo when Asashouryuu fastened it. So they were actually watching the video and checking out how exactly it was tied.

Side note: Shiranui has a double knot tie in the back. Unryuu has one knot. The tying of it is different in itself and that was where the video was consulted.

Why hasn't anyone just asked Asashoryu how it's done?

So it turns out not many guys left from back then that actually knew how to fasten the tsuna Unryuu style.

Well, Takasago-beya still has 11 rikishi who were contemporary with Asashoryu. Though maybe they didn't think it's something they'd need to keep remembering after his exit...

See second part of my sentence..

Problem 3: Nobody in the Ichimon has any idea how to make an Unryuu style tsuna for the tsuna uchi.It is different in length etc. As both current Yokozuna use the Shiranui style, that won't help.

Solution 3: Go to Takasago beya (outside of the Ichimon..) where some of the guys used to make it for Asashouryuu, who did it the Unryuu way, and ask for their help.

So it turns out not many guys left from back then that actually knew how to fasten the tsuna Unryuu style. Luckily, someone found a video of that from a jungyo when Asashouryuu fastened it. So they were actually watching the video and checking out how exactly it was tied.

Side note: Shiranui has a double knot tie in the back. Unryuu has one knot. The tying of it is different in itself and that was where the video was consulted.

He's not answering his phone to Kyokai calls.

ahmm, I don't think the Kyokai feels like calling him.

He's not a member of the family anymore.

The messenger arrived late, it has now been revealed. After the special rijikai decided on Kakuryuu's promotion, the messenger ( Hakkaku) was dispatched to bring the news. It's a 10 minute car drive between the stadium where the rijikai was held and the Izutsu lodgings. But the messenger was late. "Where is he? He should have been here by now.." said the worried Izutsu people. It turns out he was sent by the Kyokai to Izutsu's last year lodgings. "I rang the bell 'ding dong ding dong' but no one answered. This is where I became suspicious.. It was a Kyokai screw-up" , said a shamed Hakkaku later.

• Like 3

ahmm, I don't think the Kyokai feels like calling him.

He's not a member of the family anymore.

Who made the call when Akebono was drafted in (after he "left the family") to teach Asashoryu the dohyo-iri? I would have thought that it would have been someone closer to home than the Kyokai.

I wouldn't bet that a Yokozuna necessarily knows how to tie his own tsuna... After all, it ties at the back, doesn't it? :-P

• Like 5

Ring ring.. ring ring..

Hakuhou: "Moshimoshi??"

Kakuryuu: "Good morning boss.."

H: "Oh, the newest member of our exclusive club.. To what do I owe the honor?"

K: "Just to thank you for your support, and maybe get some advice from you.."

H:" Make it quick, we're going to play golf."

K: "Golf? WE? Who is 'we'? I'm your partner.."

H: "Yes, you were, and we had great times, but now things have changed and I think it may be a bit inappropriate.."

K :"Why? We're still pals, right? So who is your new partner?"

H: "Ama. What did you want?"

K: "Ama? How is that appropriate then?'

H: "Tsuna-brothers."

K: "What?"

H: "You know, Shiranui.. You decided to go Unryuu."

K: "Oh, come on, you know it's not my decision.."

H: "Be that as it may.. Now, what is it you wanted?"

K: "Well.. we can't find anyone who knows how to tie the knot Unryuu style.."

H: "What??? You can't WHAT?? HAHAHAHA.. You just killed me.. I gotta tell Ama..This is hilarious.."

K: "Are you done? Can you help me or not?'

H: "I can give you Dorj's cellphone number.. HAHAHA.. that was a good one, you gotta admit.."

K: "Come on, can't you help me here? It's no laughing matter.."

H: "You bet it isn't.. HAHAHAHA.. OK, give me a minute to calm down.."

K: "I guess even you can't help me out.."

H: "There are limits even to my powers, Anand.. HAHAHAHA.. Sorry.."

K: "Ok.. I have to go- I have a dohyo-iri lesson with Takanohana.."

H: "Say hi from me and tell him I'm coming over for degeiko to whip Takanoiwa's ass.."

K: "Thanks for nothing.."

Click.

Ring ring.. Brrring ring.

Hakuhou: "Ama, you gotta hear this.."

Harumafuji: "You did not win that first bout-you were definitely shini-tai.. Get over it already.."

Hak: "No, no, not that. Anand just called and told me nobody there knows how to tie the Unryuu knot!! Nobody!!"

Har: "What's the problem? I took a video of Dorj during some jungyo- you can totally see how it's done. I'll call Anand and.."

Hak: "No, not just yet- wait a couple of hours..let the new guy sweat.."

Har: "You are so bad.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 19

Tsunauchi done-took two hours and a half to make. "I imagined it's done this way," said Kakuryuu, eyes sparkling. Then dohyo-iri training with Takanohana, diligently following his lead. Knowing Kakuryuu and his seriousness, he'll have it down to a T. First public performance-tomorrow at Meiji Jingu. Tachimochi Ikioi, tsuyuharai Kagamiou. "Watching it and doing it are two different things. I was a bit nervous and made a few mistakes, " said Kakuryuu later. "He's getting it right. No surprise there.." said Takanohana, even later.

They even have the same expression..:

f-nsp140327_kakuryu-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7

Who made the call when Akebono was drafted in (after he "left the family") to teach Asashoryu the dohyo-iri?

Asashoryu yokozuna promotion: January 2003

Akebono Kyokai departure: November 2003

• Like 1

Tsunauchi done-took two hours and a half to make. "I imagined it's done this way," said Kakuryuu, eyes sparkling. Then dohyo-iri training with Takanohana, diligently following his lead. Knowing Kakuryuu and his seriousness, he'll have it down to a T. First public performance-tomorrow at Meiji Jingu. Tachimochi Ikioi, tsuyuharai Kagamiou. "Watching it and doing it are two different things. I was a bit nervous and made a few mistakes, " said Kakuryuu later. "He's getting it right. No surprise there.." said Takanohana, even later.

I know it's the angle and lens but doesn't Takanohana look really small compared to Kakuryu in this picture?

They even have the same expression..:f-nsp140327_kakuryu-ns-big.jpg

I know it's the angle and lens but doesn't Takanohana look really small compared to Kakuryu in this picture?
Kakuryu looks like one of those cardboard cutouts that people pose for photos with.

And Takanohana is small at this point.

Remember, Tak is much thinner and he isn't wearing any of the stuff Tak is wearing along with not being barefoot.

For my money, Hakuho has the best dohyo-iri I've ever seen.

Of course there are not enough rikishi in the heya to be the 7-8 yokozuna tsukebito of Kakuryu. He gets them from a 4 heya alliance: Shikoroyama of course, but again from other ichimon: Takasago and Kasugayama. Kasugayama also provides tsukebito for Hakuho and Harumafuji - one heya renting tsukebito to 3 yokozuna is a rare phenomenon.
http://www.daily.co.jp/sumo/2014/03/27/0006812447.shtml

Hakuho got the flu and cancelled his own dohyo-iri yesterday.
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20140327-1276028.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Still impresive posture by Takanohana. Even, or should I say especially, his shiko is still full of dignity (just look how high he still can lift his leg).

@rzombie1988

Really?! I could not disagree more. For me Hakuho has the worst Doyho-iri of all last yokozunas. He look always unmotivated and blase to me. Akebono and the Hanada brothers showed much better and more dignified dohyo-iris.

• Like 1

I had forgotten how far back Takanohana pushed his shoulders during his dohyo-iri. He also seemed to raise his leg higher than many of the Yokozuna since his reign.