Sign in to follow this  
Golynohana

Golynohana's Sumo Site - Updates

... of course in order to make a banzuke we need a formula for calculating points into Win-Loss records. Anyone has a clue how it has been done in the past?

Or maybe a new formula would be better? Or to use the same one as for Sekitori-Oracle? What do you think?

I never managed to figure out the exact formula Gusoyama used, but I think it was similar to Rotosumo, with (more or less) regular intervals from the mean score to the maximum score - maximum meaning the best-possible team selection.

His formula on the makekoshi side always seemed to be a bit more idiosyncratic. He used an interval scoring there, too, but I don't know how he set the 0-15 line.

I used to do my own "shadow" scoring for a little while, which got close to the official W-L's, but not exactly...let me see what I did there.

Edited by Asashosakari

I used to do my own "shadow" scoring for a little while, which got close to the official W-L's, but not exactly...let me see what I did there.

Oh, I faked it with arbitrary extra multipliers. (Laughing...) No, that's not usable as a general formula.

Determining the maximum possible score in Salary Cap isn't as trivial as it is in Roto. When I assign expected values to rikishi and try to construct the highest expected value team, there's no obvious way to prove whether I have the best score. You could certainly write some code that might check every possible team, something I'm not even sure how to calculate how many there are, although it's certainly less than C(42, 10) ~= 1.5 billion, where each legal team is a subset of many of the illegal combinations that creating all possible lists of 10 rikishi would generate. I'm guessing there's a better way of determining all possible teams, and I have a vague idea of how to do so, but I'm not sure how fast it would be.

Now it might end up being relatively easy to determine the maximum possible score once the tournament is over since a few rikishi have much higher scores than others and checking teams without them in the top positions could be proven to be a waste of time, but a priori if the scores could be anything an algorithm to find the best score seem like it would entail either a lot of work and/or an egregious amount of processing time.

Now it might end up being relatively easy to determine the maximum possible score once the tournament is over since a few rikishi have much higher scores than others and checking teams without them in the top positions could be proven to be a waste of time, but a priori if the scores could be anything an algorithm to find the best score seem like it would entail either a lot of work and/or an egregious amount of processing time.

Nobody said anything about a generally applicable algorithm; my post was simply in the context of calculating win-loss records after the basho.

The type of detailed algorithm you're probably thinking of is a waste of time and effort, IMHO - simply dividing cost by (expected or actual) points gets you there 95% of the way, and the other 5% are way smaller than the margin of error if we're talking about making selections.

Most of the time Salarycap selections boil down to one hard choice (nowadays Hakuho or not Hakuho), two or three really obvious choices (whose inclusion may depend on the hard choice made before), and then a bunch of basically interchangeable rikishi for another three or four slots where you're completely at the mercy of how the basho actually turns out. The fact that you're spending a fixed amount of credits on discrete choices puts quite a limit on just how much one can optimize. (In other words: Because any left-over credits are simply wasted, there's often little point in trying to optimize the backend of the squad.)

Edited by Asashosakari

Another one, click on your shikona on SalaryCap Sumo banzuke page and you will see history of your results in this game, just like it works for all other games. It wasn't finished for SalaryCap but now it's finally there. Hope you will find it useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Because of recent bots activity I had to take the registration page offline. I will have to make a small adaptation, so that bots won't be able to create new accounts. If anyone wants to create a new account on my page please let me know here - I will add it manually.

EDIT: Fixed. There's additional "sumo question" on registration page that everyone who wants to play sumo games should have to troubles to answer.

Edited by Golynohana
  • Thanks 1