Sign in to follow this  
Terunoumi

Help with a banzuke

Hello everybody,

Since I don't speak, read or write Japanese I'd like to ask for your help regarding one annotation on a banzuke I came across. I think this is the banzuke from the 1999 Aki Basho (not sure, though) and the annotation is located on the right side of the banzuke.

Can someone please tell me what this annotation is about? Is this some special type of banzuke?

Many thanks in advance.

post-168-0-98623700-1390306019_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-09730600-1390306042_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is a banzuke of the 1999 Aki basho.

The annotation is a name, which reads from top to bottom

MICHINOKU Kazuhiro,

formerly known as

Ozeki Kirishima, active rikishi from 1975-1996.

For more details, check the ocean of Ozumo Data: Sumo Reference!

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply, kuroimori-san.

Let me just ask you two more things: does that mean this was a banzuke issued to Michinoku beya? If so, does it add special value to this particular banzuke?

As far as I know, the original banzuke is handwritten (don't want to make a mistake near the end...) by a gyoji.

Then it is being adjusted for printing and the printed versions are handed out to the heya and other involved parties as well.

I guess the annotations are made before distribution, but I am sure there are banzuke experts who can give more detailed explanations.

• Like 1

As far as I know, the original banzuke is handwritten (don't want to make a mistake near the end...) by a gyoji.

Then it is being adjusted for printing and the printed versions are handed out to the heya and other involved parties as well.

I guess the annotations are made before distribution, but I am sure there are banzuke experts who can give more detailed explanations.

There was a case in 2011, where the gyoji on duty tried to hide greetings to his family and friends in lower Sandanme. Naturally, he got found out and was eventually seppukued. The basho had to be canceled, no shit!

I made that up.

• Like 3

There was a case in 2011, where the gyoji on duty tried to hide greetings to his family and friends in lower Sandanme. Naturally, he got found out and was eventually seppukued. The basho had to be canceled, no shit!

I made that up.

Just because you made it up doesn't mean it's not true.

You see I read it on the internets so it has to be. Right!?!

The heya regularly send them out to their supporters, and in that case the heya name is stamped on the margin. But individuals can send or give them out as well, and clearly that is what happened here.

Orion

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your post, Orion-san.

From what you and kuroimori-san wrote it seems then that this particular banzuke was an offer to someone from Michinoku Oyakata, right? I have no intention of selling this banzuke, since banzukes are one of my collection ozumo items, but does that mean that this particular banzuke has added value, as compared to the regular banzukes? Would this be considered a special collector's item?

Many thanks in advance,

Terunoumi

Thank you very much for your post, Orion-san.

From what you and kuroimori-san wrote it seems then that this particular banzuke was an offer to someone from Michinoku Oyakata, right? I have no intention of selling this banzuke, since banzukes are one of my collection ozumo items, but does that mean that this particular banzuke has added value, as compared to the regular banzukes? Would this be considered a special collector's item?

Many thanks in advance,

Terunoumi

there is perhaps a little added value for a fan of Michinoku but not much for others. The originals are just 50 yen (unstamped) but collectors in Europe pay more as they are so keen. Shops in Tokyo are full of old banzuke, some from the 1980s costing as little as 300-500 yen.

• Like 3

It would be nice if I could find a shop in Osaka selling old banzuke. Somehow I imagine running a Google search for something like that through Google Translate wouldn't work to well. Maybe my wife can help if I ask her nicely...