Sd17e Kabutoiwa Kise Kumamoto 1986/11/17 2002.03 Ms28 231-236-16
Jd33w Taguchi Naruto Kanagawa 1992/07/04 2008.03 Sd72 99-104-28
Jd38e Tamaisshin Kataonami Ehime 1992/01/29 2010.07 Jd21 59-66-8
Jd48w Asano Michinoku Kagoshima 1991/06/28 2013.03 Jd48 11-10-7
Jk7w Yamamoto Naruto Aomori 1987/03/04 2005.03 Jd17 136-189-25
Jk19w Sunaga Minezaki Saitama 1993/08/30 2013.09 Jk19 0-0-7
Jk20e Mochizuki Azumazeki Tochigi 1990/12/04 2013.07 Jk20 0-7-7

MzKawaguchiTakanohanaHyogo1990/12/142013.11Mz0-0

Yamamoto is a former 12-basho persister, and was actually part of the very first Persistence Watch post.

I wonder what happened with the new Takanohana-beya guy. And Sunaga and Mochizuki also seem to have found the Ozumo life not to their liking.

• Like 1

He might have found the training at Takanohana Beya too hard for him.

Sorry to see Taguchi go, I started to watch him some time ago although Naruto is not really my heya.

As for Tamaisshin I heard yesterday from Tamawashi that's not easy for some rikishi to get along with the Oyakata. I asked him about my former twin favourites Tamatoryo and Tamaseiryo, they also left cause they had their difficulties with him. :-(

(And as a sidenote ... I met Arajishi on the last day and we talked a bit together. With my limited japanese knowledge I heard him saying something about intai, So I already feared he would leave sumo. I'm relieved that he seems to stay :-D)

Edited by Fay

First, thank you for the table, but it has a typo, I guess. Mochizuki record reads as 0-7-7.

That's correct, isn't it?

First, thank you for the table, but it has a typo, I guess. Mochizuki record reads as 0-7-7.

That's correct, isn't it?

Sorry, for a moment I thought it was his record for last basho. Forget about it. My bad.

He might have found the training at Takanohana Beya too hard for him.

Sorry to see Taguchi go, I started to watch him some time ago although Naruto is not really my heya.

As for Tamaisshin I heard yesterday from Tamawashi that's not easy for some rikishi to get along with the Oyakata. I asked him about my former twin favourites Tamatoryo and Tamaseiryo, they also left cause they had their difficulties with him. :-(

(And as a sidenote ... I met Arajishi on the last day and we talked a bit together. With my limited japanese knowledge I heard him saying something about intai, So I already feared he would leave sumo. I'm relieved that he seems to stay :-D)

Last july, I couldn't watch keiko at Takanohana-beya. What's your opinion about way of training in this stable? Is it as strict as Futagoyama-beya's time?

Their intai were announced (again) after the basho, but they certainly retired before shonichi, as evidenced by the fact that both are listed with 0-0 records for Kyushu.

They retired before, but which is officially their last basho ? When Takamisakari has January as intai basho and Aran November, then officially the 2 retired after this basho, their last on the banzuke.

They retired before, but which is officially their last basho ? When Takamisakari has January as intai basho and Aran November, then officially the 2 retired after this basho, their last on the banzuke.

I don't see how being on the banzuke implies that a rikishi is on active status until senshuraku. (Thought experiment: A rikishi dies between the banzuke release and shonichi. Is he "active" during the basho?)

I'll go with the obvious interpretation that it's possible to be both banzuke-ranked and inactive, which is also supported by the fact that such rikishi don't receive any additional yasumi for their career records.

It's merely an internal convention by the Kyokai that rikishi who were never sekitori can only become inactive at the end of the basho. And even that has been ignored several times before.

Edited by Asashosakari

I'll kind of miss Kabutoiwa. He had this very perfunctory, rapid-fire shikiri style, as though he had a train to catch and had to get the bout done as fast as possible. I didn't like it at first but I guess I got used to it; he was different at least.

I don't see how being on the banzuke implies that a rikishi is on active status until senshuraku. (Thought experiment: A rikishi dies between the banzuke release and shonichi. Is he "active" during the basho?)

No-one says he was active. But his official intai basho is this basho, his retirement officially acknowledged yesterday. Before that he just factual was retired, but in one of the several limbo states in sumo. He filed his retirement and the final notice about that came just now.

Other limbo is e. g banzuke-gai: is the rikishi active ? The basho doesn't count as one being in sumo.

The most interesting limbo is the oyakata-limbo. The retired rikishi becomes oyakata, has the name and the myoseki, but he is still the rikishi in limbo till the danpatsu-shiki. At the intai sumo, if he has one, he once again and for the last time appears as the rikishi and only after that he completely turns into the oyakata: it is usually reported that he then (again) took on the name (shūmei), though everybody knew he was that oyakata the whole time. The whole event is also named as including the announcement of name succession (shūmei hirō), but it is not only just announced again, but for the first time officially/ceremonially: Such events therefore can take place more than once and all are valid (like a marriage in the city hall and the church).